Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

ROBS BROTHER

Jan 27, 2022
I recall in the 80’s the likes of Kenny Everitt, Monkhouse (ITV?) and some from the left at it.

Personally I also found it boring, plus I despised their attempts at influencing us through their celebrity patronising and irritating (who are they to ….).

Definitely needs clearing up, one way or another.

Not an anti-Lineker thing, but the tax status of their pay arrangements with the BBC is an irrelevance, they still have an influence and kudos simply from being on screen. The public wouldn’t know whether Munchetty, Lineker et al are ‘freelancers’ or not.
Ladies and gentlemen Just imagine for one moment that a market traders son made a rather emotive and historically inaccurate comment on twitter regarding the government's immigration policy. Who would have noticed? Nobody
The only reason this tweet has generated the response it has is not because of who he is but because of his position
The BBC has every reason to deal with it as they see fit

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Ladies and gentlemen Just imagine for one moment that a market traders son made a rather emotive and historically inaccurate comment on twitter regarding the government's immigration policy. Who would have noticed? Nobody
The only reason this tweet has generated the response it has is not because of who he is but because of his position
The BBC has every reason to deal with it as they see fit
It was an accurate comment, and it's no longer the BBC it's now The Conservative Broadcasting Corporation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I see. Well. Emotions can run high, but he’s not right either. You cannot equate Tory Party with the Nazi’s by any creditable stretch of the imagination. Two wrongs don’t make a right and all that.
Once again Gary Lineker never mentioned the Nazis.

Everyone who is criticising him mentions the Nazis, to try and make their own argument stronger.
Facts matter.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Some on here will twist words and meanings to make yer head spin.
He said it independently on Twitter, it's his content, or possibly Twitter's, it's certainly not the BBC's.

I guess his contact could,in theory, have something in it effectively staying all his published content on 3rd party platforms should adhere to the BBC guidelines, if so, case closed. However, we haven't heard that.

It's really very simple, is he bound by the BBC guidelines at all times, even when not producing content for the BBC, or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here