Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Problem is they have in the past but it hasn't been commented on in parliament.

Alan Sugar and particularly Andrew Neil were given free reign on social media.

If you don't apply your guidelines consistently, you are open to criticism when you apply them.. or not.

What a mess.

I recall in the 80’s the likes of Kenny Everitt, Monkhouse (ITV?) and some from the left at it.

Personally I also found it boring, plus I despised their attempts at influencing us through their celebrity patronising and irritating (who are they to ….).

Definitely needs clearing up, one way or another.

Not an anti-Lineker thing, but the tax status of their pay arrangements with the BBC is an irrelevance, they still have an influence and kudos simply from being on screen. The public wouldn’t know whether Munchetty, Lineker et al are ‘freelancers’ or not.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
MOTD without any pundits…..i can see an upside..yeah!

Next it will be the commentators…..then the production team ….and so it‘ll go on.

Who will be doing our game next Sunday! 👀

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He is backing Gary and what Gary said. He is a Holocaust survivor.

Jean Salt is also a Holocaust survivor, and said exactly the same thing to Suella Braverman.
I see. Well. Emotions can run high, but he’s not right either. You cannot equate Tory Party with the Nazi’s by any creditable stretch of the imagination. Two wrongs don’t make a right and all that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have to say I'm changing my mind a bit on Lineker, purely because it's good that he has stirred up this shit storm.

As for Shearer boycotting MOTD - I find that hard to take, him "making a stand" on this issue.... after all the bullshit he has spoken about the Saudi cnuts at Newcastle.

His attitude when challenged about the Saudis seemed to be:
1. Why pick on NUFC and the Saudis? followed by an arrogant.
2. It’s our destiny, our time, we’re massive, WE DESERVE THE MONEY AND TROPHIES.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am assuming these are the guidelines that are being referred to.

This says:
View attachment 158149
What Lineker has done is release his own content/opinion, it's not the BBC's.
Exactly. It was his personal Twitter account, not MOTD Twitter account.
He hasn’t said anything on his programme even when politicians were criticising the England team for taking the knee.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
on another note, I’m absolutely LOVING the tumbleweeds that are greeting a select few posters on this thread.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
60DB3EC5-B3FB-4020-ADF8-89C7912D9467.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here