Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
So it’s/ was fine when Andrew Neil, Jeremy Clarkson and Alan Sugar use/ used their platforms to view their political views. It’s fine that Laura Kuenssberg has fundamentally been a Tory mouthpiece for years. It’s fine that Fiona Bruce, the host of their flagship political program, Question Time, is married to a Tory donor. And it’s also fine that the BBC chairman donated to the Tory party and organising giving Boris Johnson a loan… but a tweet from Gary is breaching impartiality? 🤦🏻‍♂️ The absolute state of the BBC.

Last edited:

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Another shocking thing recently was the BBC website coverage of the Hancock whatsapp messages. The headline online was his reaction to being caught cheating, buried in the story was a paragraph about him blaming Sunak's eat out to help out scheme for spreading covid- how was that not the lead?!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm very much on the fence on this. Part of me thinks it's another example of over sensitivity but he must appreciate he's one of the most well know public figures employed at the bbc. He should probably realise different rules apply to him with regards to voicing an opinion
He's a football presenter. If he was political presenter, perhaps there may be an argument.

BBC can never get it right. They get attacked from both the right and the left while most of us watch on bewildered.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I'm very much on the fence on this. Part of me thinks it's another example of over sensitivity but he must appreciate he's one of the most well know public figures employed at the bbc. He should probably realise different rules apply to him with regards to voicing an opinion

Why only him. Lord Sugar has done it.

No impartiality for Andrew Neil when editor of the Spectator whilst also working at the BBC.

Isn't this the cancel culture so many are against?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Get rid of him.
Regardless of his politicising he’s too expensive for a publically-funded organisation.
People watch motd for the football not the presenters.
The bbc could put an autocue infront of any number of talented presenters, who would do the job and cost a lot less.
I do wonder if this is part of the thinking behind the decision – essentially giving the BBC an opportunity to save cash. You only have to look at how many big earners have departed the organisation to see what the BBC is up against in terms of its budgets and Gary's cash is a relatively big proportion of that. From the wider point of view, he'll do OK, even if he loses the MoTD gig.

However, it's an absolutely ridiculous decision, regardless of all of that. I was under the impression that the 'impartiality' thing was just down to news-based staff, not everyone. And he wasn't even ON the BBC when he was saying it – plus it's just ONE of his contracts!

You don't have to look far to find examples of bias from people – or people expressing an opinion – at the BBC. But it's whether those who shout the loudest in opposition to the opinions get heard – or agreed with – that matters. Express an opinion that the organisation agrees with (or the Government has suggested) and there wouldn't be an problem. Speak out? Then you're facked!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
i don't expect any BBC presenter be giving there personal opinions on government policy whatever political party

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The sadest thing about it is that the government has decided we will buck the Christian idea of asylum, the humanitarian idea of refuge and generally contributing in any way to helping those in need of a place of safety - and the only person to publicly stand up is a TV sports host.
And he's instantly censured for doing so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here