Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm not sure that we should even be giving a platform to fringe lunatics who try to shoot the messenger, like Farage (who seems to genuinely believe Lineker is preaching hate) or GB News, whose attempt at parody was executed so badly, that it became a parody itself.

It wouldn't be very democratic to ban them, but they represent a real danger of deflection and distraction to Lineker's important points. Just look at the comment count - it's approaching 1400, and that's just with a never-ending line of spanners, pretending not to understand Lineker's language.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
novelty or not, it's going to be used by those that would love to reduce cost of MotD. i have a feeling this is all going to end up badly for us as football fans, reduced coverage and then rights going to ITV. :eek:
I'm all for reducing the cost of MOTD. Get rid of Lineker. Ridiculous salary. Overhyped individual who feels he has to comment publicly on every social cause in the universe. Dash to be first to pay his respects to those who have passed and tries to be too clever by half with his giggling colleagues. Geez, the highest paid individual on the Beeb. Its staggering. For what he presents, he is not value for money. Get rid.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He's using his platform and reach afforded by football, and in part the BBC. Maybe he should actually get stuck into politics if it's more important to him.
Is he “using his platform and reach afforded by football”?
or is it just that he is tweeting as an individual in a way that he might even if he was not well known - plenty of ordinary people tweet opinions every day - and more people take notice because of who he is…… subtle difference.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The letter actually demands a full investigation and demanding an unreserved apology from Lineker. That would imply he other grovels or goes. Signed by the usual suspects.
Your first sentence was followed by "at the very least" - so yes, I agree with you, But it strikes me that they are wanting to both grovel and go.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
MOTD viewing figures up 500k compared to week before according to bbc …novelty value?

Don’t shoot the messenger
Obviously novelty value, in the same way that people slow down to check out a car crash as they drive past.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm all for reducing the cost of MOTD. Get rid of Lineker. Ridiculous salary. Overhyped individual who feels he has to comment publicly on every social cause in the universe. Dash to be first to pay his respects to those who have passed and tries to be too clever by half with his giggling colleagues. Geez, the highest paid individual on the Beeb. Its staggering. For what he presents, he is not value for money. Get rid.
What do you think is better value for money Sky Sports, Daily Telegraph Subscription or the BBC Licence fee ?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
you’re issue is that you don’t like his views, the money is an excuse to beat him over the head with. If he’s pissing off the snowflakes on the right of the political spectrum then all the more power to him. The OUTRAGE is a joy to be hold. I look forward to seeing the likes of sugar and Brady being ditched.

Last edited:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
My Daughter's partner is Albanian. He entered the country illegally and worked on the carwash circuit for a few years and for the past 5 years or so has had an NI number and has been working hard, nights/days in a job whilst undergoing the visa process. They have to pay somewhere around £2500 every couple of years to extend his visa for (don't quote me) 10 years to enable him to stay eventually. In this period he can't receive any Govt assistance of any type, has to keep his nose clean and work.
Genuine question, why can't the Lawyer and Doctor you mention do this? Any idea? Did they give any reason they couldn't get any work.

Slightly off topic.
My other daughter used to work assisting teenaged and young adult immigrants/refugees in a hostel and amongst being cared for, fed and watered, clothed and having a safe bed to sleep in they were each bought and given PlayStation consoles if they wanted and games and mobile phones and would kick off if they didn't get the latest kit. Just as our teenagers might do.
Just for truths sake asylum seekers are not allowed to work while their claims are being considered.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Regardless of the rights or wrongs of this issue it was refreshing to see the highlights without all the crap studio discussion (usually centred on the big six) and made me realise we are far better off without it.

We don't need to hear the likes of Micah Richard's booming laugh, or Harry Kane giving his incite into the match "well er actually, the cross came in and I headed it in,". Get rid of the needless presenters and just have the highlights of the games like last night, although maybe slightly longer.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Regardless of the rights or wrongs of this issue it was refreshing to see the highlights without all the crap studio discussion (usually centred on the big six) and made me realise we are far better off without it.

We don't need to hear the likes of Micah Richard's booming laugh, or Harry Kane giving his incite into the match "well er actually, the cross came in and I headed it in,". Get rid of the needless presenters and just have the highlights of the games like last night, although maybe slightly longer.
Why don't you just watch it on YouTube and save the three hour wait?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
'Tofu eating wokerati' :facepalm:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
GB news with homophobia and spitefulness on broadcast TV, nice.

I hope no-one here seriously watches that cesspit.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Fingers crossed, Brendan O'Carroll tweets something linking the government to 1930’s Germany very soon.. :wink:
If only we could go back to those nostalgic days when gammon were boys, everything was right in Great Britain and iconic BBC presenters were not political.

25FEEA98-2F8E-46AB-ADC9-CC27FA12AE3B.jpeg

If only Jim could fix that for Wokeworrier?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here