Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Imagine a country where the public is forced to pay for state-run television and where those that speak out against the establishment are removed from programming. Welcome to the UK folks.
😢
😢
The BBC like the NHS is worth defending, it defines us and is respected globally. Even envieded. I don’t always like its output but I recognise it’s importance far beyond the relative pittance we all pay for it or my own personal views, needs and wants.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
A bunch of people who are outrageously overpaid and over valued are downing tools knowing the could get a gig on another channel the next day are making a stance. Clear the decks and replace them with less smug millionaires. The comments are generally in the Garth crooks level of journalism and it’s not a news show so stick to football. But Lineker thinks he is a National treasure so we can’t live without him.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Exactly. It was his personal Twitter account, not MOTD Twitter account.
He hasn’t said anything on his programme even when politicians were criticising the England team for taking the knee.

As posted above it becomes a bit murky when you using your personal account as a de facto promotional platform for your employer.

I've always found that a bit odd personally, especially when you work for competing companies on a freelance basis.

My personal belief is that it would much clearer to separate the two.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I have no idea why we are now down playing what the Nazis did.

A stupid policy (that I don't agree with) is now equal to killing 6 million Jews
Can you not see the subtly in the tweet at all?

Accusing the government of playing with matches (using the same sort of language used in 1930’s Germany) is not the same as accusing them of burning the house down (the atrocities of Hitler’s Nazi party). But one could lead to the other.

Also, equating the evils of the Nazi’s to JUST the holocaust is disingenuous, I’ve been to both Auschwitz-Birkenau and to Warsaw. The evils they committed in the latter were horrific and mostly, nothing to do with the Jews (as they’d removed most of them to concentration camps). I’m sorry to say, and in despite of the Tory culture war dictates, Jews can’t ‘own’ 100% the victimhood from the atrocities of the Nazi party, they committed more terror than just the holocaust.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
People keep talking about refugees. What are they fleeing from? France? I understand that you might not be francophile but really the people in question could have secured asylum in any of the many countries they passed through. I also understand that they would prefer Britain to the EU
Fine just apply legally and don't try illegal entry
This government closed down all the proper ways to claim asylum. Suella Braverman admitted it in Committee.
The only way to claim asylum is to set foot on British soil, and being an island, a boat is the only way.

I suspect you already know this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can you not see the subtly in the tweet at all?

Accusing the government of playing with matches (using the same sort of language use in 1930’s Germany) is not the same as accusing them of burning the house down (the atrocities of Hitler’s Nazi party). But one could lead to the other.

Also, equating the evils of the Nazi’s to JUST the holocaust is disingenuous, I’ve been to both Auschwitz-Birkenau and to Warsaw. The evils they committed in the latter were horrific and mostly, nothing to do with the Jews (as they’d removed most of them to concentration camps). I’m sorry to say, and in despite of the Tory culture war dictates, Jews can’t ‘own’ 100% the victimhood from the atrocities of the Nazi party, they committed more terror than just the holocaust.
Nah. Even comparing to 1930s Germany is offensive.

Defend it all you want, he's wrong to do it, this government are a bunch of ****s, GL is wrong in this one

ROBS BROTHER

Jan 27, 2022
This government closed down all the proper ways to claim asylum. Suella Braverman admitted it in Committee.
The only way to claim asylum is to set foot on British soil, and being an island, a boat is the only way.

I suspect you already know this.
Its not what I read on the government's website

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
But haven't you proved Lineker's point? His tweet said that the likes of Braverman were "using language not dissimilar to that of 1930s Germany". As you point out, their rhetoric is deliberately xenophobic and designed to try to get the people of Britain blaming illegal immigrants for the ills of the UK.

The majority of those seeking asylum are granted asylum.

I'd argue that had Sunak visited the French and agreed the process by which we can fast track asylum applications by opening an immigration centre in northern France (something which people have been calling for), and then returned to announce a policy that did not include the illegal detention of people without recourse to legal assistance (not dissimilar to autocratic regimes), then the whole process could have been debated more meaningfully.

Instead, Sunak was reduced to shouting at Starmer and calling him "another lefty lawyer standing in our way." The same rhetoric that contributed towards the death of Jo Cox.

In my view, this government are poison and should be called out.
And your inciting another Sir David Amess!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
People keep talking about refugees. What are they fleeing from? France? I understand that you might not be francophile but really the people in question could have secured asylum in any of the many countries they passed through. I also understand that they would prefer Britain to the EU
Fine just apply legally and don't try illegal entry
And how do you suggest they apply legally?!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Imagine a country where the public is forced to pay for state-run television and where those that speak out against the establishment are removed from programming. Welcome to the UK folks.
😢
😢
It’s not state run that’s what you get in Russia. It’s public service broadcasting there is a difference. Though the Tories are trying to create the former

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here