Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I’m not saying it’s only Lineker , I’m sure he’s a decent enough man if a little full of himself at times . But lots of well known ‘ celebs’ I hate that word, endorse various good causes concerning justice & human rights but then you find out later they have done a private show or event for some Uber rich person or regime with very dodgy human rights etc . All am I saying is that not everyone is black and white , there are grey areas for many so called celebrities.
just because you can't do everything, it doesn't mean you should do nothing

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Set the cap for refugees at 50% of the total deported the previous year. Then do it for 20 years. Those who want refugees would then be forced to sort the system out and it would begin to restore public confidence in the process.

No need for such a convoluted scheme to try and motivate people to take action.

Surely just voting for government with a plan to sort the system out would work better. The Tories have had 13 years to sort it out and have not done so. Deliberately or out of incompetence surely it's time to give someone else a go?

You are going to be unlucky to have another government whose plan contravenes international and sovereign law and still fails to improve anything.

Hopefully the constant dog whistling to the extremes of the debate haven't scuppered any chance of a moderate and sensible policy being accepted by the right wing press.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Someone told me Gary didn't present our match of the day. They were suggesting there is still on going trouble at the BBC. Apparently Glenn was a co presenter. No Wright or Shearer, what has gone on, does anyone hold any inside information?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Someone told me Gary didn't present our match of the day. They were suggesting there is still on going trouble at the BBC. Apparently Glenn was a co presenter. No Wright or Shearer, what has gone on, does anyone hold any inside information?
Er... he's off sick (having looked/sounded sick on-air yesterday).

Wright and Shearer did the live Man City game with him, I believe.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He had a bad cold yesterday, with his voice croaking. Today he tweeted his voice had given out, so his colleague, Alex Scott, stepped in, unlike the week before, when she stood back from presenting Football Focus, in support of him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I recorded the BBC prog.

Lovely analysis of Dunk pre-match, worth watching if you can. Muzza talking about Dunk’s evolution from being purely a defender pre CH, to a player now running our game.

Separately Pearce and his co-commentator when we scored 4 and 5 both repeatedly said it was not a fair reflection of the game. Utter tripe, as you’d expect the game was incredibly one sided, especially the second half.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great coverage apart from the repeated interpretation that Brighton are a "conveyer belt" for players onto bigger and better things.

That's almost every club, surely?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Wright was also in Manchester on ITV. Danny Murphy was used because he is now the go to chap for Grimsby because one of his uncles played there. You did hear an unintended hot mic comment from Murphy which was good. “Come on Fulham”

Shame Lineker was not there to talk about Ferguson. He took to social media instead.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Shame Lineker was not there to talk about Ferguson. He took to social media instead.
Last time Albion played a semi-final at Wembley, Lineker said to Shearer something along the lines of: "Wouldn't want to play up front for them, Alan..."

(Which wasn't unreasonable, given how uncompetitive we were.)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I recorded the BBC prog.

Lovely analysis of Dunk pre-match, worth watching if you can. Muzza talking about Dunk’s evolution from being purely a defender pre CH, to a player now running our game.

Separately Pearce and his co-commentator when we scored 4 and 5 both repeatedly said it was not a fair reflection of the game. Utter tripe, as you’d expect the game was incredibly one sided, especially the second half.
I couldn't believe Pearce when he said that. They only got any chances of note when the games was done and dusted.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I couldn't believe Pearce when he said that. They only got any chances of note when the games was done and dusted.
That was an odd comment, inserted i'm sure in sympathy for Grimsby supporters watching. Also odd was the time he put some very questionable valuations on our players. totally unnecessary.

Despite these two oddities, I think Pearce is the best current TV commentator.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I recorded the BBC prog.

Just watching it now on IPlayer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I recorded the BBC prog.

There was another odd moment from JP, when he was banging on about how RDZ wouldn't be happy with all the "showboating" by Brighton players – AKA keeping hold of the ball and passing it about, as per usual, albeit with some "Ole"s from the crowd (and he wouldn't – he'd be delighted to see it) – during what turned out to be the early build-up play that led to Solly's goal :lolol: :dunce:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That was an odd comment, inserted i'm sure in sympathy for Grimsby supporters watching. Also odd was the time he put some very questionable valuations on our players. totally unnecessary.

Despite these two oddities, I think Pearce is the best current TV commentator.
Oh yeah – he was inferring that the team cost £345 million or something! I see what he was trying to do, but you can't just pluck theorhetical figures out of the sky for one team and contrast it with what the other one ACTUALLY cost!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here