Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Hooper

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
How many hard working players can you fit into a team and retain the flair that makes them stand out. On your point he wouldnt have wanted Jimmy Greaves, Thierry Henri or Sergio Aguero as all they did was score goals.

Aguero never stups running all game and consistently has one of the highest stats in a game when he plays. I never seen Greaves play but Henry was always full of running. Trust me Hooper Hooper would not endear himself unless we continued to create chance after chance and he took them. I don't dislike him as a player but he is quite lazy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Aguero never stups running all game and consistently has one of the highest stats in a game when he plays. I never seen Greaves play but Henry was always full of running. Trust me Hooper Hooper would not endear himself unless we continued to create chance after chance and he took them. I don't dislike him as a player but he is quite lazy.

Having followed CH through his clubs I will take your word for it re Hooper but he does know where the ball has to go to win games.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Having followed CH through his clubs I will take your word for it re Hooper but he does know where the ball has to go to win games.

Norwich fans would disagree. Celtic and Scunthorpe fans would agree with you. Even I agree with you but all I said was quite lazy

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I accept that but as regards him not being a CH type signing did he not buy him for Norwich or are you suggesting he made a mistake then and wouldnt do it again.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Just asking for the ratings isnt really starting anything meaningful. Starting the thread with your own score and insight would have been far better

A bit difficult when you haven't seen the game, hence asking for the ratings....

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Are we playing a game where we look at those with a half decent goalscoring record this season and suggest they'd be a 'good signing'?

It's a suggestion of a player who I believe would be a good signing for the club. I certainly don't automatically assume in every thread I open that we are bidding for the player.... I'm certainly not asking you to open the thread either. You didn't have to comment but you've chosen to...

But if we did sign every player you thought we should be interested in we would have a squad of about 200 by now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What does it matter?? Seriously DFP never understand why that bothers people, regardless of whether I create a new post or add my contribution to an existing post I'm still ultimately posting it....

It's annoying. You intentionally don't expand the thread title either so naturally people look thinking we've been linked to a player.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I remember when Norwich signed him. I expected him to do big things but it never materialised. I don't think it worked out as expected and Hughton didn't get the player he thought he was buying. At £30k a week, he's also out of our price range. I think this one is unlikely to happen.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I heard £35k a week

Every extra £10k a week in player wages we commit to is another £520k a year out of our budget and over £2 million over the course of a 4 year contract. It's the big wages that hurt you in the long run.

This why we are looking for value elsewhere. It's not just to find a bargain, but because the established big names over here command wages that don't fit in with our clubs wage structure.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What a great signing by Wednesday so far. They'll now be very confident of a play-off place with his goals. Hopefully we have still have some equally impressive targets we're negotiating for.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I remember when Norwich signed him. I expected him to do big things but it never materialised. I don't think it worked out as expected and Hughton didn't get the player he thought he was buying. At £30k a week, he's also out of our price range. I think this one is unlikely to happen.

Hooper is a decent finisher but he is not the most energetic when it comes to playing 90 minutes of football. I think it was more David Mc Nallys obsession in signing Hooper than that of CH. McNally thinks he knows Scottish football inside out having been Chief Exec at Celtic before he went to Norwich and he pursued Hooper on the strength of that. You only have to look at the fact that he went back to Hamilton Accademicals for THEIR current manager, Alex Neil. Mc Nally lived in Hamilton when he was at Celtic. In football a lot of people revert to what they know. That's bourne out when you see managers raiding their old clubs for players, regardless of whether they are able to make the step up to a higher standard or not

CH knew that Hooper had a decent record as a goal scorer but he also knew that playing for Celtic he got 4 and 5 chances per game. He was never sure how he would do if he only got one chance per game. The answer was, not very well as it turned out. He will get more goal scoring opportunities in the Championship but to play with millions of pounds of peoples the Chairman's money, I think it's once bitten twice shy in relation to Hooper.

I don't know for sure but I think CH may even have been at Spurs when Hooper was actually released by them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hooper is a decent finisher but he is not the most energetic when it comes to playing 90 minutes of football. I think it was more David Mc Nallys obsession in signing Hooper than that of CH. McNally thinks he knows Scottish football inside out having been Chief Exec at Celtic before he went to Norwich and he pursued Hooper on the strength of that. You only have to look at the fact that he went back to Hamilton Accademicals for THEIR current manager, Alex Neil. Mc Nally lived in Hamilton when he was at Celtic. In football a lot of people revert to what they know. That's bourne out when you see managers raiding their old clubs for players, regardless of whether they are able to make the step up to a higher standard or not

CH knew that Hooper had a decent record as a goal scorer but he also knew that playing for Celtic he got 4 and 5 chances per game. He was never sure how he would do if he only got one chance per game. The answer was, not very well as it turned out. He will get more goal scoring opportunities in the Championship but to play with millions of pounds of peoples the Chairman's money, I think it's once bitten twice shy in relation to Hooper.

I don't know for sure but I think CH may even have been at Spurs when Hooper was actually released by them.

Good post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here