Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Hart

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
This thread reminds me why I hardly bother with this place anymore. It reinforces my view that there are way too many Albion fans that are total pricks, with an abnormal concentration of them on this forum.

Gary Hart has always given 110% every single time he has ever pulled the shirt on, and imo is definetely still good enough to add something to our squad and make a contribution in Div 1.

If the best contribution you can make is to refer to other posters as total pricks because they have a different oppinion to yours then it's probably best you dont bother too much.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
For what its worth. I believe Gary Hart could be offered a further year, perhaps on 'pay as you play terms'. He is a wholehearted player, who undoubtedly gives everything when selected. The only thing that slightly worries me is that he may be preventing one of our better youngsters progressing.

In terms of Kerry Mayo, I'm afraid I have never been a big fan and whilst his commitment is commendable, his ability falls woefully short of what is required. For me one of his best games was in centre midfield at Southampton.

I think its a bit harsh to have a pop at Wilkins. Often players and managers see things differently when they are not selected. I feel sorry for Wilkins, but am now fully behind Adams. Probably the harshest treatment dished out to a Albion Manager was to Chris Cattlin.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
For what its worth. I believe Gary Hart could be offered a further year, perhaps on 'pay as you play terms'.
That won't ever happen. A play as you play deal is given to a player coming to the end of his career, who may get injured and have to give up half way through a season. You don't offer a play as you play deal to a player who is unlikely to make the starting line up in the ressies, if every other player at the club is 100% fit.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A play as you play deal is given to a player coming to the end of his career, who may get injured and have to give up half way through a season.

I would have said Gary Hart fits this perfectly, if you are only paying a lower basic salary with appearance money on top then the club will save money.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If he gets a year and is released at the end of next season he can have a pop at Mickey. This seems to be the way with footballers these days.

Yes, very disappointing the way things have gone. Surely its better to leave with your head held high than express bitterness towards the manager.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I would have said Gary Hart fits this perfectly, if you are only paying a lower basic salary with appearance money on top then the club will save money.
Sorry, should have added to that a player who expects to play each week, maybe someone like Forster (in a year or two time (yes, I know hes got 2 more years before anyone says)), its not the type of deal you'd offer to a back up, squad player.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Wilkins was not away from the training ground for anyway near 3 weeks.

He had a virus and was under orders from the club doctor that he should keep away from the playing staff for a while.

It amounted to a few days here and there, even travelling to a game or two with the club doctor rather than on the team coach.

Even when he was ill ( just a viral infection ) he was at the training ground if not out on the training pitch.

To somehow paint a picture of an absent manager is frankly absurd.

So, you are calling these players untrustworthy liars then.

Fair enough. I'll let them know. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So, you are calling these players untrustworthy liars then.

Fair enough. I'll let them know. :thumbsup:

What professional footballers 'untrustworthy liars' jeeeez never !!!!

They maybe untrustworthy liars or maybe a throw away comment by them was then used by you to post an untruth to in some way slur Wilkins.

Thats for you to decide or explain.

But I re-iterate that Wilkins was never absent for 3 consecutive weeks, but only a few days here and there whilst he was recovering from a viral infection that he did not wish to pass on to his team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can someone let me know if I am still allowed to like Dean Wilkins AND Gary Hart, please?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What professional footballers 'untrustworthy liars' jeeeez never !!!!

They maybe untrustworthy liars or maybe a throw away comment by them was then used by you to post an untruth to in some way slur Wilkins.

Thats for you to decide or explain.

But I re-iterate that Wilkins was never absent for 3 consecutive weeks, but only a few days here and there whilst he was recovering from a viral infection that he did not wish to pass on to his team.

So you're not denying that people who were there don't know what they're on about over and above someone who wasn't? Moreover, why would they want to slur Wilkins? You honestly think they get a kick out of doing it?

However, your blind faith in our erstwhile manager is commendable.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can someone let me know if I am still allowed to like Dean Wilkins AND Gary Hart, please?

Apparently not......there seems to be an unwritten rule that you have to fall into one camp or the other.

Shame really that when we could be looking ahead positively to a new season we are spending so much time slagging people off.

Still. it's the way of human nature and by far the most entertaining thread around, though if I were associated with the team at all I might have a different view of the meaning of the word "supporter" than before it began:shrug:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Personally I would like to remember Wilkins as a generally good bloke - a fantastic servant to the club for many years - who was promoted one step above his competence level if only because he was not the best man manager in a world where motivating "prima donna's" is everything. Once you accept that it is a matter of how you achieve change. Did the club handle it well? Certainly not.

Gary Hart is also a loyal club servant who for whatever reason felt that his abilities were being unrecognised by a new boss. It hurt. How many of us who have been around a bit haven't had that experience and the natural reaction is to have a bit of a moan. That isn't unprofessional - it's just human nature. The outcome seems to have been a widening rift and maybe that could also have been handled better by an effective man manager. But it wasn't and as such it represents a microcosm of the club and where it was and why Knight reacted. Did Knight react appropriately? Not for me to say but that doesn't make Hart any less of a footballer and like anyone in any industry he deserves a chance under a new manager. If he can shine he will do ok. It is up to him to prove his worth.

Kerry Mayo is a little different but again, as in any industry, managers come and managers go and if he can prove that the outgoing gaffer might have been wrong in his judgement then good luck to him.

If we forget that this is all unfolding in the arena of football and that there are thousands of fans watching and emotionally engaged. If we compare it to where we work and how we might feel - whether as a manager coming in with his own ideas and methods - or as a worker who feels that their skills are being overlooked or opportunity has passed them by, maybe it all makes a bit more sense. Office politics is office politics no matter where you work.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you're not denying that people who were there don't know what they're on about over and above someone who wasn't? Moreover, why would they want to slur Wilkins? You honestly think they get a kick out of doing it?

However, your blind faith in our erstwhile manager is commendable.

As for the slur bit, that would depend which players might of offered this inaccuarte information.

Or you yourself have taken a comment from a player out of context and used it to wrongly insinuate a reason why Wilkins needed to be replaced.

Either way it remains the case that Wilkins was definately not absent for the time that you have mentioned and therefore you might wish to check with your player friends before making such absurd accusations.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As for the slur bit, that would depend which players might of offered this inaccuarte information.

Or you yourself have taken a comment from a player out of context and used it to wrongly insinuate a reason why Wilkins needed to be replaced.

Either way it remains the case that Wilkins was definately not absent for the time that you have mentioned and therefore you might wish to check with your player friends before making such absurd accusations.

Who provided the information is largely irrelevant. Not everyone operates to an agenda.

The point was not taken out of context. It was clear and unambiguous, and repeated. I even challenged it because I couldn't work out how he could operate as manager if he was absent. It could be that they're lying, but it doesn't make sense as to why they would.

Meanwhile, how can you be so sure the 'accusation' isn't absurd? Where you there? I have asked this question already, and, though I know you have a history on here of avoiding questions, I'd like to know how come you are so sure. Just because it might sound absurd, doesn't mean it is untrue. Where is your point of reference?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Who provided the information is largely irrelevant. Not everyone operates to an agenda.

The point was not taken out of context. It was clear and unambiguous, and repeated. I even challenged it because I couldn't work out how he could operate as manager if he was absent. It could be that they're lying, but it doesn't make sense as to why they would.

Meanwhile, how can you be so sure the 'accusation' isn't absurd? Where you there? I have asked this question already, and, though I know you have a history on here of avoiding questions, I'd like to know how come you are so sure. Just because it might sound absurd, doesn't mean it is untrue. Where is your point of reference?

It is interesting that the discussion included this and as you say the player's point was unambiguous.

Because quite frankly he is not telling you the truth, therefore it seems that maybe that player has an agenda himself.

Again I can tell you that Wilkins was not away from the club for a 3 week period due to illness or any stress disorder.

He had a viral infection that kept himself absent for a day or two throughout a 3 week period.

Even if Wilkins was not on the training field the players would of been aware that Wilkins was there at the training ground in his office working.

It seems that it is likely that your inaccurate information came from either Hart, Reid or another released player, although Hart it seems is likely to be re-signed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It is interesting that the discussion included this and as you say the player's point was unambiguous.

Because quite frankly he is not telling you the truth, therefore it seems that maybe that player has an agenda himself.

Again I can tell you that Wilkins was not away from the club for a 3 week period due to illness or any stress disorder.

He had a viral infection that kept himself absent for a day or two throughout a 3 week period.

Even if Wilkins was not on the training field the players would of been aware that Wilkins was there at the training ground in his office working.

It seems that it is likely that your inaccurate information came from either Hart, Reid or another released player, although Hart it seems is likely to be re-signed.

f***ing hell, you're merely re-gurgitating what you've already said, and I heard it first time, and every other time since then. And once again, you've ducked my question. It is a common trait in you.

And once again, I state that who the players were is irrelevant. I know the players in question don't have an agenda. I also know that you cannot post without an agenda.

All you're saying is 'the players are liars'. That's not good enough. So, are you going to answer my question, or, as I suspect will be the case, you won't confirm your first-hand knowledge, and I will have little choice but to make a not unreasonable assumption that you are only operating to what 'sounds' absurd. It's up to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here