Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Glitter song featured in The Joker Movie

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Surely no different to a Michael Jackson song being used in a film?

Out of interest, where do people sit on the whole Michael Jackson thing? Clearly, if there’s truth in the plethora of allegations against him then he’s nothing less than a prolific and highly manipulative child sex offender, but he has to the best of my knowledge never actually been convicted of such a crime.

I ask, because my five year old lad has recently become obsessed with him, ever since seeing a Michael Jackson tribute show whilst on holiday in August. And I mean obsessed, all he wants for his birthday is Michael Jackson costumes and toys.

Now of course he’s completely oblivious to the crimes he potentially committed or even the personality ‘quirks’ / mental health issues he very clearly suffered (trying to explain away why a formerly black man wound up looking like a white woman was enough for one day). Personally, I’m not comfortable with it at all and I’d prefer him to lose interest sooner rather than later, but my wife thinks I’m being daft (only likes his music etc etc).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Out of interest, where do people sit on the whole Michael Jackson thing? Clearly, if there’s truth in the plethora of allegations against him then he’s nothing less than a prolific and highly manipulative child sex offender, but he has to the best of my knowledge never actually been convicted of such a crime.

I ask, because my five year old lad has recently become obsessed with him, ever since seeing a Michael Jackson tribute show whilst on holiday in August. And I mean obsessed, all he wants for his birthday is Michael Jackson costumes and toys.

Now of course he’s completely oblivious to the crimes he potentially committed or even the personality ‘quirks’ / mental health issues he very clearly suffered (trying to explain away why a formerly black man wound up looking like a white woman was enough for one day). Personally, I’m not comfortable with it at all and I’d prefer him to lose interest sooner rather than later, but my wife thinks I’m being daft (only likes his music etc etc).

Impossible question! Just keep an eye on it all. My son likes some odd things, in retrospect, so did I briefly as a kid/young teen ( apparently I was a big Gary Glitter fan when I was 3!) but then I loved madness and the specials . . . But despite being a jr skinhead at 11, didn't turn into a farage disciple!

I'm of the opinion MJ was, like Oscar Saville, virtually untouchable, too high profile and/or too much money. How guilty MJ was, or not, will not be public knowledge as long as there's millions to be had. America sweeps under carpets even better than royal families. ( I think that's enough generalised assumptions for one post)

GG wasn't either of those, in addition he was also flagrant/carefree and got rumbled, which is a good thing.

Musically I also like queen and Elton John, in small doses, but have a lot less interest in boys bits than say . . .Harry Kane, the Ingerland kickball kapitaan. .

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Don't see any issue in using one of his songs.

How many books are available out there written by people with questionable histories?

You can still buy Mein Kampf…

In that context a song that has nothing to do with the crimes of the creator shouldn't be relevant to the art.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
If you really think about what he has done. No need to mention other people like Jackson or Hitler, just think of what this evil ******* has done and then contemplate that a portion of your cinema ticket, however small that may be from each individual, but YOUR money will be handed over to that monster. That's more than enough for me to boycott the movie. Previously as a Foster Carer I've seen the effects of what scum like him can do to people's lives.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Widespread indignation, including the moral compass that is the Daily Mail comments section, with the news that "Rock and Roll Part 2" features in the Joker movie, and therefore Mr P Gadd of HMP Belmarsh will be due some royalties.

Don't they still play the said tune at a number of American sporting events?

Surely no different to a Michael Jackson song being used in a film?

I'm sure the producers of the Joker, which took nearly $100million in its first weekend at the Box Office, knew exactly what they were doing when they put the soundtrack together.

Why a MJ song??

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Harvey Weinstein films that many of us still love? A lot of people on here rate that (imho) pile of crap The Usual Suspects starring Kevin Spacey, NSC gets money from Amazon, which not only sells paedo music, but has some seriously dubious business practices, but mention that on here and everyone goes quiet because it’s convenient to ignore things that don’t suit one’s personal agenda.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
If you really think about what he has done. No need to mention other people like Jackson or Hitler, just think of what this evil ******* has done and then contemplate that a portion of your cinema ticket, however small that may be from each individual, but YOUR money will be handed over to that monster. That's more than enough for me to boycott the movie. Previously as a Foster Carer I've seen the effects of what scum like him can do to people's lives.

Similar to this I work with children who have been victims of such abuse. I can barely handle working with them some times, they may tell me, in graphic detail what they experienced, at the end of the session I get an escape, they have to live with it every second of the day. And scum like Glitter that still gets money? Innocents also involved in making the music, fair enough as am sure they have bills to pay etc, and it must be very odd for them.

Its not just films though. Recently I started using Amazon music, put on a 70s glam rock playlist (for someone else of course..) and two of the glitter tunes came on! Wtf! Cancelled subs, not that Amazon will be quaking after that mind, sure they'll survive

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Similar to this I work with children who have been victims of such abuse. I can barely handle working with them some times, they may tell me, in graphic detail what they experienced, at the end of the session I get an escape, they have to live with it every second of the day. And scum like Glitter that still gets money? Innocents also involved in making the music, fair enough as am sure they have bills to pay etc, and it must be very odd for them.

Its not just films though. Recently I started using Amazon music, put on a 70s glam rock playlist (for someone else of course..) and two of the glitter tunes came on! Wtf! Cancelled subs, not that Amazon will be quaking after that mind, sure they'll survive

All very laudible, but the world continues to turn. I would not give anything to likes of Gadd & Jackson willingly, except a terminal disease perhaps, but I do not let their awful behaviour stop the normality of life in general.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I still love James Brown songs but he was a wife beater who was accused of rape.
Phil Spector's music is brilliant, well some of it. Convicted murderer.

I can happily avoid the music of Gary Glitter and Michael Jackson because their music means nothing to me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is the Joker any good? Worth giving up an evening for?

100% yes.

It's magnificent and until looking it up, I didn't know who performed the song I now know to be Rock and Roll part 2 by Gary Glitter. It doesn't really change that it was perfect for the scene it is used in. I have no problem separating the music from the man.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
First off, I'm not a royalties expert.

However, if someone comes into money which is credited into their bank/estate BUT they are HMP resident, they are unable to access their external money [there are no cash points in the clink].

I have no idea, but maybe he has been asked to recompense his victims - if they get some benefit, then I'd not argue with that ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here