Gary Dicker...?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
After getting a bit more game time recently what is everyone's verdict on Gary Dicker?

Is he someone close to the exit? Or does he deserve to keep playing?

Personally i think he's a decent player, with good composure on the ball, but because others are ahead of him I cant help but feel he'd be most likely to be shown the door if other midfielders were brought in.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
The kind of player that excels if we're on the front foot, can't handle pressure if we're defending deep though. Hardly touched the ball when he came on last night and when he did I think he gave it away twice. Not a promotion-pushing Championship player in my books I'm afraid.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Played a bloody great leftfoot throughball for LuaLua who must have been minutely offside. Everytime i've seen him this season he's been ace. Matured into the division and a valuable keep if he doesn't mind being on and off the bench.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Played well against Newcastle.............. then dropped to the bench by Poyet - don't understand him, constant tinkering with team/formation annoys me....... having said that after Watford I thought it may be time for Poyet to go and he has proved me wrong with 3 straight wins!
I like Dicker, should definitely keep him.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Good squad player, I'd keep him now we have Sparrow and (hopefully) Harley shifted. He'll have to be happy as a bit part player though I think.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
The kind of player that excels if we're on the front foot, can't handle pressure if we're defending deep though. Hardly touched the ball when he came on last night and when he did I think he gave it away twice. Not a promotion-pushing Championship player in my books I'm afraid.

Exactly this. He is a very very useful player to bring on when we are a couple of goals up as he is afforded time on the ball and keeps the game ticking over with a great range of passing.

However when we are on the back foot he gets flustered under pressure and is often tackled in dangerous positions.

Good as a squad player, would retain him until we've brought in players who can do his job better.

Another element worth considering is that Dicker is an important member of the squad in terms of morale. Would not want to upset the balance by shipping him out before the end of the season.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I know he gets a bit of stick, but he plays where passes are more likely to go astray or get intercepted. I like him. Too late to make an impression yesterday, especially as Derby improved in the second half.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have a lot of time for Gary Dicker, and always have. He has a level of ability above a lot of those around him and to be honest, I think he's a better player than Hammond and Crofts. However, his game lacks pace and he seems a little slow in thought at times. His range of passing and his tackling ability are fantastic but he's more of a Michael Carrick type of midfielder and not every team really needs that. I think he's got a part to play for us this season, but not next season if we can get someone better in to replace him. I like Gary Dicker and I have no doubt he'd get offers from Championship clubs. But we need to improve the general standard of the squad and in my opinion that involves replacing players who are good players, but with better ones.

I think it's going to be the same for Gordon Greer in the summer and possibly even Calderon, though I highly doubt it. We want to keep improving rather than sitting on our hands and there are tough calls to make. I have no doubt at all that Gus can and will make them though. The squad needs evolution rather than revolution but even just upgrading one or two players in the squad could make a massive difference. Some of the players we now deem to be not good enough are players who a few years ago would have been the first names on the team sheet, and that's how far we've come. But there's work still to be done.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I have a lot of time for Gary Dicker, and always have. He has a level of ability above a lot of those around him and to be honest, I think he's a better player than Hammond and Crofts. However, his game lacks pace and he seems a little slow in thought at times. His range of passing and his tackling ability are fantastic but he's more of a Michael Carrick type of midfielder and not every team really needs that. I think he's got a part to play for us this season, but not next season if we can get someone better in to replace him. I like Gary Dicker and I have no doubt he'd get offers from Championship clubs. But we need to improve the general standard of the squad and in my opinion that involves replacing players who are good players, but with better ones.

I think it's going to be the same for Gordon Greer in the summer and possibly even Calderon, though I highly doubt it. We want to keep improving rather than sitting on our hands and there are tough calls to make. I have no doubt at all that Gus can and will make them though. The squad needs evolution rather than revolution but even just upgrading one or two players in the squad could make a massive difference. Some of the players we now deem to be not good enough are players who a few years ago would have been the first names on the team sheet, and that's how far we've come. But there's work still to be done.

I think this is the main point with Dicker and a few others. They are decent mid-level championship players that for now will do okay in the squad but if we want to improve and really push on for promotion then these good players need to be replaced with better ones.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He will not leave if he's happy to be back up ( a bit like Painter). He's one of Gus's favorite players, but now we have players like Lopez who do a similar job but are better at it. Still think he has a lot to offer if we pick up any injuries.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Can certainly see a pass or two, but for me he is a good L1 player. At Championship level, his lack of pace & movement do little for us as an offensive force (imo like); he can't tackle & gets knocked off the ball far too easily. At least he seems to have stopped doing that 360-degree spinning thing that seemed to be his trademark when he received the ball in the centre of the park. I was convinced he'd end up rotating himself into the ground & would need digging out at H/T by the groundstaff.

Fair play to the guy though for getting himself fit after that nasty leg-break last year (& at least he actually wants to play in our midfield - which is possibly more than you can say about a certain character who has talent to burn).

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I like Dicker - he played well v Newcastle, and I was surprised to see him out of the team yesterday. Actually, after Hoskins goal, I was surprised he was left out too..... Gus does seem to know how to knock some players' morale. If Hoskins and Dicker were upbeat last week, they will certainly not be so confident now....

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Certainly useful on the bench until the summer, but when we're ready for promotion you'd think he'll just slip out the picture completely. Similar to Painter in that if he's happy on the bench and playing 5 games a year keep him on wages appropriate for that role, but if he's not happy just take anything and wish him well.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon

Do you ever have anything positive to say anything BHAFC? Ever?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Not rating Dicker has always been the worst opinion you can have.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Wasnt great last season after coming back from his injury, but has played well this season and is a good cover player who can be trusted. Id keep him for now, but if we go up then i cant see us keeping him.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Luxury player, decent on the ball but terrible off it, against weaker teams his broad range of accurate passing will be very useful and make him look a very good player, but against the better sides he has been shown up time and time again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports