Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Chivers in goal

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
i remember one game where he went in goal for some reason, probably a sending off

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Was it somewhere like Millwall where the keeper was injured in the pre-match warm-up?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
This is ringing a bell, I defently remember him going in goal when keeper (Think it was Keeley) was sent off, cant remember him starting one though

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Keelys hamstring went before the game in warm up? hmm not sure,i remember something vaguely.....or was it Digweed?

I thought that it might have been Wilkins who played a whole game in goal...but it is a long time ago and the memory is a bit on the vague side!

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
September 1991, away at Millwall...

I can't remember exactly what happened, but Chivers started the game in goal, but was replaced after ten minutes or so by the reserve keeper, who happened to be with the squad, was not on the team sheet, but was given permission by the referee to play. The situation was farcical, but we won 2-1.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley

I can't remember exactly what happened, but Chivers started the game in goal, but was replaced after ten minutes or so by the reserve keeper, who happened to be with the squad, was not on the team sheet, but was given permission by the referee to play. The situation was farcical, but we won 2-1.

Ah this sounds about right, I am sure something happened at the Goldstone aswell though and Chivers went in

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Keelys or Digweeds hamstring went in warm up,i think Beany was in the stands,so chivers started in goal,until Beany was ready,and then sub was made,am i right? Its in there somewhere,too much drugs makes it hard to find these days.....

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Was the game at Millwall where Mark Beeny replaced Gary Chivers in goal and if that was not enough for him he then ran the wall on there own patch. Year after we had beaten them in the play offs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As others have said it was only for a few minutes while a substitute keeper got ready. I thought that it was Digweed who was injured during the warm up but wouldnt swear to it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Ooh I was there for that!! Highly amusing. I think it was shortly before we started breaking up the play off final team. Byrne left soon after this game I recall.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Perry Digweed was injured in the warm up immediately before kick off (hamstring??). Mark Beeney was in the crowd and not on the team sheet. match Kicked off. Chivers had to go in goal to start with and after about 10 mins or so Beeney came on to play in goal. Ref allowed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here