Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Barry discusses the importance of BHA training facility

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Barry Backs Training Facility

Sussex-born England star Gareth Barry has revealed Albion's new training facility would have kept him at the club in the mid-1990s, and has urged Adur District Council officials to give his first professional club the green light for the £29m development at New Monk's Farm, at Monday night's planning meeting.

Former Seagulls schoolboy Barry, who joined Aston Villa in 1996, said, "The reason I left Brighton was due to the then lack of ambition and the poor facilities. It was before Dick Knight took over as chairman and fans will remember that the club wasn't in the best state at that time. When I saw what Aston Villa could offer there was no comparison.

"There is no doubting the ambition now though; with Tony Bloom and Gus Poyet in charge it is great to see the club on the up again, and at the top of the Championship. I always keep an eye on the Albion and the stadium is fantastic.

"I was there last season for the FA Youth Cup game against Aston Villa supporting my nephew Bradley who is in the Albion youth team - but the club must have a quality training ground too. Seeing the new plans, if the council say yes, the club would have a facility to match the stadium.

"Once in place, those plans would give the club a Premier League set-up, and looking at the league table, the way Gus Poyet is going and the way the team are playing, it might not be too long before they need that.

"At the top level, that is so important. If the club is to attract the best players, from the first team right the way through the academy, they must have that facility, as it will help the club thrive.

"I know if that had been in place all those years ago I would not have even thought about leaving. I loved playing for my local team, and Les Rogers and all the people running the youth set-up were brilliant, but it got to the point where I had to do what was right for me and my career, and that meant joining Aston Villa."

Barry's current club, Manchester City, have recently unveiled their own plans for a £100m facility next to the City of Manchester Stadium which, like Albion's, includes facilities for the local community.

"The stadium is important for the supporters, but for the players the training ground is just as important, if not more important. We play at the stadium 20 to 25 times a season, but we are at the training ground every day.

"For the younger players, the importance of a good facility is even more vital as they develop as players, and as a Sussex boy I hope the council does the right thing and gives Albion planning permission on Monday night."

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Dick Knight wouldn't know Gareth Barry if he was stood on Brighton Beach with a Seagull on his head. What happened to the chap who said that, or words to that effect?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Dick Knight wouldn't know Gareth Barry if he was stood on Brighton Beach with a Seagull on his head. What happened to the chap who said that, or words to that effect?

Classic!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
From Wikipedia -

On 8 December 2009, Gregory was appointed the manager of Israeli club Maccabi Ahi Nazareth. He led them to relegation.
On 18 May 2010 Gregory signed a 3 year contract with Israeli Premier League Club F.C. Ashdod. He resigned from Ashdod on 18 April 2011, with the club facing the possibility of relegation.
On 13 June 2011, Gregory was appointed the manager of Kazakh club FC Kairat from Almaty, Kazakhstan. Kairat were relegated at the end of the 2011 season to the second tier of Kazakhstan football.
In April 2012, Gregory had his contract as manager of FC Kairat terminated and was paid $120,000 in compensation.

Sounds like a less successful version of the Sven school of mercenary management. Graceless chump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here