Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gareth Bale: What a waste

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If my profession offered me the opportunity to go and live in China for a few years I’d consider it. I’d prefer the US or Japan, but I’d certainly consider China.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Seems like Zidane being a c**t to me.

Bale has been the ultimate professional, not gone grizzling anywhere, kept his head down, cracked on and always available when called upon. Their other winger Asensio done his cruciate this week in one of their friendlies and is out for the season, Bale scores against Arsenal, and still ZZ says "nothings changed". He wants him gone.

Bale must have banged his missus or something.

Despite being at Madrid for 4 years he’s not learned a single word of Spanish and refuses to join the squad for customary post match family dinners saying dinner time is 6pm not 11pm.

Think it’s one of squad integration and cultural isolation rather than Zidane being a cock.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Has football now got to a point where the fans (the ones who pay to see these players) base a footballers career on the money he earns? This is what they do in the US with their sports stars. Everything is based around their economic success rather than their sporting ability. Now it's creeping into Football.

Soon we'll have league tables for the top earning soccer players who've picked up the most goals and assists bonuses in their career. Fans, forgetting they pay to be entertained, will be claiming players should go to China or Kuwait for better wages and better sponsorship deals even so they're already on hundreds of thousands a week where they are.

Eventually children of the sport will grow up dreaming of signing a multi million pound contract rather than scoring a last minute winner in a cup final. Kids will know how much a player earned throughout his career. Kids will be inspired by greed.

"That Paul Kitson was good at Brighton. He pretty much never played but yet earned himself a whole years wages. He must've been good"

"You think that's good? Bale's going over to China to earn a million a week and yet he won't have to break sweat the whole time he's there"

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Despite being at Madrid for 4 years he’s not learned a single word of Spanish and refuses to join the squad for customary post match family dinners saying dinner time is 6pm not 11pm.

Think it’s one of squad integration and cultural isolation rather than Zidane being a cock.

Hasn't Bale been at Madrid for 6 years?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Should really enjoy China and learning Mandarin then ....................................

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You’d have to be incredibly thick (or VERY lazy) to live in a country for six years or even one year and not pick up a decent understanding and use of a language. Are you sure?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Hasn't Bale been at Madrid for 6 years?

Probably I couldn’t be bothered to look it up but that makes it worse. I’d read rumours about his lack of integration a year or so after his move and I just couldn’t fathom why someone in his position wouldn’t absorb as much of Spanish life as possible.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
You’d have to be incredibly thick (or VERY lazy) to live in a country for six years or even one year and not pick up a decent understanding and use of a language. Are you sure?

I’ve read it from multiple sources. Zidane’s English is by his own admission limited so it often leads to one of the other English speaking players having to play translator - that can’t help...

https://en.as.com/en/2019/02/17/football/1550424158_081637.html

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Has football now got to a point where the fans (the ones who pay to see these players) base a footballers career on the money he earns? This is what they do in the US with their sports stars. Everything is based around their economic success rather than their sporting ability. Now it's creeping into Football.

Soon we'll have league tables for the top earning soccer players who've picked up the most goals and assists bonuses in their career. Fans, forgetting they pay to be entertained, will be claiming players should go to China or Kuwait for better wages and better sponsorship deals even so they're already on hundreds of thousands a week where they are.

Eventually children of the sport will grow up dreaming of signing a multi million pound contract rather than scoring a last minute winner in a cup final. Kids will know how much a player earned throughout his career. Kids will be inspired by greed.

"That Paul Kitson was good at Brighton. He pretty much never played but yet earned himself a whole years wages. He must've been good"

"You think that's good? Bale's going over to China to earn a million a week and yet he won't have to break sweat the whole time he's there"

No, it clearly hasn't. Bale will disappear from our consciousness if he goes to China, except when he plays for Wales.

But for the player himself...he's had a lot of success at the highest level, including scoring the winner in a CL final with a stunning overhead kick.

He could go on chasing trophies, some would, but I wouldn't bother in his situation. I agree, totally, that he has earned enough money to keep him and his family living in luxury for generations, so in his position I would not be bothered about the money. If it were me, I would choose to play in places that would be interesting to live in. I might give Lisbon a go, or Valencia. Maybe New York, LA or Portland. Buenos Aries, or Rio.

Still a high enough level to keep me (him) interested, but life experiences would be so much more enriched.

To do this, he would have to take a massive cut in his wages, but why would he care? He has absolutely no need to earn more, and would still be richly rewarded.

Beckham had it sorted leaving Manchester for Madrid, LA, Milan and Paris. Kudos to the guy.Even Craig Noone has sorted himself a place in Melbourne!

Many will disagree with me - they always do when I posit this opinion. But to me, life experiences outside of the workplace eclipse ambition in order of importance.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If Bale sits tight and says 'I'm not going anywhere' they can't do much about it. They could offer him a lump sum of several (a lot of!) £millions to tear up the contract. That would leave him free to play anywhere. As I've said before, he's got enough money now to play wherever he wants without worrying about the wages.

I think it's been reported he's off to China anyway, so it's all a bit hypothetical now. If, as has been rumoured, he's found it difficult/hasn't tried much to learn Spanish, he's just going to love Mandarin!

However Real have a budget to stick to due to FFP, are they in a position to pay his contract (or a large proportion of it up) to release him so he can join someone else. How is that going to appear in the accounts? will that big payment appear in a single years figures, in which case it would make it even harder for them to recruit a replacement as they will have significantly less to spend than if they kept paying him

Would a club really agree to pay off an asset and then give it to someone else to use for free? is that good business sense?

By getting a team elsewhere to take him on instead, like China, they are able to remove that cost without having to pay him an enormous amount of money first (and he could still end up signing the same contract that he will now in China so ends up with even more if he was paid off first by Real) If a club in China take on his contract, Real free up funds to spend elsewhere and can spend that money on their team rather than it being dead money if used to pay off Bale

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
No, it clearly hasn't. Bale will disappear from our consciousness if he goes to China, except when he plays for Wales.

But for the player himself...he's had a lot of success at the highest level, including scoring the winner in a CL final with a stunning overhead kick.

He could go on chasing trophies, some would, but I wouldn't bother in his situation. I agree, totally, that he has earned enough money to keep him and his family living in luxury for generations, so in his position I would not be bothered about the money. If it were me, I would choose to play in places that would be interesting to live in. I might give Lisbon a go, or Valencia. Maybe New York, LA or Portland. Buenos Aries, or Rio.

Still a high enough level to keep me (him) interested, but life experiences would be so much more enriched.

To do this, he would have to take a massive cut in his wages, but why would he care? He has absolutely no need to earn more, and would still be richly rewarded.

Beckham had it sorted leaving Manchester for Madrid, LA, Milan and Paris. Kudos to the guy.Even Craig Noone has sorted himself a place in Melbourne!

Many will disagree with me - they always do when I posit this opinion. But to me, life experiences outside of the workplace eclipse ambition in order of importance.

He's playing a game for a living and that form of living doesn't last very long so enjoy it while you can. It's a dream come true. He's got his whole life to move to Valencia, Rio, Droylsden, Paris, Tokyo etc and considering he's going to have all the free time in the world for the remainder of his life once he retires with endless amounts of cash already. Why not make the most of your dreams and aspirations whilst you still can and finish your career positively ? Money really isn't the answer to everything, especially ones happiness.

Ferguson once said nothing will ever beat playing professional football. It doesn't matter what money you earn or how good you end up as a manager, playing football is and should always be the dream.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Or how about the money is returned to the fans in the form of reasonable ticket prices. Or distributed more fairly to smaller clubs or grass roots projects to make the game more sustainable

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

That's like saying how about we have smaller TV contracts and return that money to the viewers. Nice in principle, however it's driven by market forces and not sentiment.

Sky are only able to pay that huge sum for TV rights because they get enough revenue to be able to afford it, and they feel they have to bid that high to ensure that they are able to win the bids to be able to offer live games as a part of their schedule

Players (and agents) have the power, (Blame the Bosman ruling) clubs chase the inflated riches and pour in too much money trying to ensure that they gain the services of players that they feel can make them successful (at whatever level) - the number of high quality players is limited so you have a large number of clubs competing for a smaller number of players, which is where prices and wage demands skyrocket (simple market forces at work)

Despite incomes that dwarf what they used to be in this country not that many years ago, how many clubs are breaking even or making a profit in the UK? If they are making losses, they have to exploit as many revenue streams as possible to try to close that gap, and that means charging more for fans to be able to watch.

Plenty of moans from fans about our lack of signings, but to get players in, we will have to pay the going rate and pay the high wage demands they are after, it's not like a club can say we will pay 20% less and return that to the fans as the player simply will not take that deal and go elsewhere

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's playing a game for a living and that form of living doesn't last very long so enjoy it while you can. It's a dream come true. He's got his whole life to move to Valencia, Rio, Droylsden, Paris, Tokyo etc and considering he's going to have all the free time in the world for the remainder of his life once he retires with endless amounts of cash already. Why not make the most of your dreams and aspirations whilst you still can and finish your career positively ? Money really isn't the answer to everything, especially ones happiness.

Ferguson once said nothing will ever beat playing professional football. It doesn't matter what money you earn or how good you end up as a manager, playing football is and should always be the dream.

That’s Ferguson’s view. But plenty of footballers aren’t as interested. Even Zamora once said he wasn’t that bothered. I have no idea what it’s like to be in Bale’s position but I’m in the twilight of my working life and if someone offered me twice my salary, for half the effort, in China, I think I’d go.

If there’s any head-hunters out there, please PM me.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Pretty sure Bale would choose living in Barry over Lisbon, America etc.
Even by British footballer standards he is not much of a culture vulture

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
That’s Ferguson’s view.
Which he used pre-match to motivate his teams in the dressing room. It definitely worked. Ferguson's teams were always credited for their never say die winning attitude

plenty of footballers aren’t as interested. Even Zamora once said he wasn’t that bothered.

I remember when Bobby said this. It was in reference to staying in football once he retires. I know he's put money into a social housing scheme (good on him) with Rio Ferdinand and Mark Noble, so I can see why he made that statement at the time. But the reality is, Bobby is back in football and has a job as a club ambassador for Brighton. Sounds like he is bothered about football after all.

I have no idea what it’s like to be in Bale’s position but I’m in the twilight of my working life and if someone offered me twice my salary, for half the effort, in China, I think I’d go.

I would pay to play top flight football. Stuff going to China.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here