Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Jesus, Mr Workshy complains about his workload!

Easy, less games equals less strain, but also less money. Rocket science it is not. OK they have to train, but playing a game and half a week on average is a bloody easy life compared to most people. What does he want, thirty games a season and no pay cut?

Just astonishing arrogance.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How would players taking pay cuts ease fixture congestion?!

Indeed.

England were slagged off for the Hungary game. When a top team plays the punters scream for highest level football every time, or it's 'Southgate is useless'.

Quality cannot be maintained if players play so often:

""Someone mentioned to me over lunch the other day that Kevin de Bruyne could play 79 [games] next season after just a three-week break," he said.

"It's too much, things obviously need to change, every player will tell you there are way too many games.

"It's impossible to play at a high level for that amount of games.""

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think the number of games is now ridiculous at the levels of fitness and concentration needed to maintain the current quality of top class football, but I can't see how the players are going to change that.

Right Boss, I'll play two thirds of the League games spread evenly over the season and the European Champions League from the knockout stages onward. I'll give the FA cup a miss this year and can you tell Southgate I'll play if we make it to the finals ???

It'll be down to the Governing bodies :laugh:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Because there are more and more games arranged so as to fleece more and more supporters in order to pay these inflated wages. Players want it all.

What do you suggest? The players give 15% of their wages back to the billionaire owner in return for a guarantee that they'll be rested for 15% of the games?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What do you suggest? The players give 15% of their wages back to the billionaire owner in return for a guarantee that they'll be rested for 15% of the games?

I would take clubs out of the hands of those billionaire owners and run them as not for profit community assets. I would institute a wage cap. Well, you did ask…
In the absence of that then players like Gareth Bale need to realize they are a part of the problem. If they are going to suggest solutions they need to address the part they play.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www...ne-one-six-england-players-spend-half-season/

The Telegraph touched on this the other day

The 6 players mentioned shouldn’t have been called up to these games.

Indeed.

England were slagged off for the Hungary game. When a top team plays the punters scream for highest level football every time, or it's 'Southgate is useless'.

Quality cannot be maintained if players play so often:

""Someone mentioned to me over lunch the other day that Kevin de Bruyne could play 79 [games] next season after just a three-week break," he said.

"It's too much, things obviously need to change, every player will tell you there are way too many games.

"It's impossible to play at a high level for that amount of games.""

He could easily just say, these 6 need the rest, we’ve sent them away early for a proper rest but we can see what the back up players can do.

Southgate is part of the problem here

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think the number of games is now ridiculous at the levels of fitness and concentration needed to maintain the current quality of top class football, but I can't see how the players are going to change that.

Right Boss, I'll play two thirds of the League games spread evenly over the season and the European Champions League from the knockout stages onward. I'll give the FA cup a miss this year and can you tell Southgate I'll play if we make it to the finals ???

It'll be down to the Governing bodies :laugh:

They should all just retired from international football in protest, I’m sure this will sort change quickly

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
erm, isnt this the reason for large squads and rotation? upto managers to look after their players.

that said, the actual point of why have a pointless competition squeezed in at the end of the season seems valid. on other hand would they be saying the same if it were warm up friendlies for the WC this June?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would take clubs out of the hands of those billionaire owners and run them as not for profit community assets. I would institute a wage cap. Well, you did ask…
In the absence of that then players like Gareth Bale need to realize they are a part of the problem. If they are going to suggest solutions they need to address the part they play.

Hornswoggle.

There is absolutely no connection between the two.

You're proposing fundamentally changing all football how it's owned governed and administered

&

blaming the highest earning players (pawns) for not taking a holistic approach to the game.

You sound like you have a problem with the sports leadership.
And are jealous of Gareth Bale's income.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hornswoggle.

There is absolutely no connection between the two.

You're proposing fundamentally changing all football how it's owned governed and administered

&

blaming the highest earning players (pawns) for not taking a holistic approach to the game.

You sound like you have a problem with the sports leadership.
And are jealous of Gareth Bale's income.

Well, that’s ironic. Many on here seem to have a problem with high earners in business but a blind spot when it comes to footballers. If you have ever criticized pay in finance then you are one of them.
If you read my posts carefully you will see I was highlighting the hypocrisy of players biting the hand that feeds them, that’s all. Someone asked me what I would do about it and I said I would rip the whole thing down and start again. That is not going to happen so we are back to me pointing out hypocrisy. For you to claim there is no link between arranging football matches (for profit) and spiraling player pay is probably an assertion that you could consider backing up.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It sounds like non league football is more for you!

As for Bale's comments, they are superfluous. This calendar year is exceptional purely due to the awarding to Qatar by Blatter of a World Cup that was never going to be played in the Summer. He's also made himself look stupid as he's picked up his £600k weekly wage whilst hardly ever kicking a ball. He'd have had more credibility had he sought to play regular football elsewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, that’s ironic. Many on here seem to have a problem with high earners in business but a blind spot when it comes to footballers. If you have ever criticized pay in finance then you are one of them.
If you read my posts carefully you will see I was highlighting the hypocrisy of players biting the hand that feeds them, that’s all. Someone asked me what I would do about it and I said I would rip the whole thing down and start again. That is not going to happen so we are back to me pointing out hypocrisy. For you to claim there is no link between arranging football matches (for profit) and spiraling player pay is probably an assertion that you are going to need to back up.

The players don't force owners to pay then astronomical sums of money.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you read my posts carefully you will see I was highlighting the hypocrisy of players biting the hand that feeds them, that’s all. Someone asked me what I would do about it and I said I would rip the whole thing down and start again. That is not going to happen so we are back to me pointing out hypocrisy. For you to claim there is no link between arranging football matches (for profit) and spiraling player pay is probably an assertion that you could consider backing up.

Your arguments seemed to be that clubs have to organize more games in order to raise more money to pay players more. Clubs are businesses and I would suggest what they are doing is feeding the fan frenzy for more football. If fans didn't pay for the all the subscriptions that would limit the money available.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It sounds like non league football is more for you!

As for Bale's comments, they are superfluous. This calendar year is exceptional purely due to the awarding to Qatar by Blatter of a World Cup that was never going to be played in the Summer. He's also made himself look stupid as he's picked up his £600k weekly wage whilst hardly ever kicking a ball. He'd have had more credibility had he sought to play regular football elsewhere.

No, you have missed the point I was making. I was asked a direct question about what I would do about it given the chance. That’s all. I don’t expect to be able to do anything about it as I know I can’t solve the world’s problems. I have no issue enjoying football as it currently is organised. I am though going to point out hypocrisy when I see it :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The players don't force owners to pay then astronomical sums of money.

they bloody well do.

they can chose to play internationals or not (and often do when it suits), and could negotiate a reduced pay for limited number of games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here