Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Garden office advice please

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I can recommend Sensational Spaces in Worthing. I was toying with idea of having a glorified garden shed but having seen the room they built for a friend I’ve upspeced. Mine is being built now with the foundations (15 giant 1m long metal screws already installed) . It’s fully plastered, painted, electric sockets, down lights, electric heater and fuse board linked to your house. External dimensions 6m x 3.5m with two full height tilt/ turn windows and pair of double doors. The cost is approx £26k inc Vat.

Their work is custom built to your requirements so obviously costs will change depending what you want.

I work in construction and am happy with their approach so it would be worth having a chat with Shaun at the company and discuss your options, budget and any planning constraints.

They are busy though so expect a 4/5 month lead in period. Third of the payment on order, a third on commencement and the balance on completion.

He will give you a provisional budget for the electrics ( mine was £2.7k plus Vat) but subject to a subsequent separate quote from an electrician ( mine was a bit more but not too far off +£300/400?) so allow for a bit of contingency for that.

Sensational Spaces recently did this for us. Now complete and patio being done shortly. Cost a few Bob with the electrics being particularly pricey because of the types of cable (armoured electric and Ethernet) and length of run required. Looking forward to using it.
9122E0AF-92CC-4D32-B780-3B875EFBBAE7.jpeg

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Like many others, work means I'm not at home 4 days a week and will be remaining so. we looked at garden office etc and eventually went the conservatory route (although the wife insists its called an 'Orangery' ffs) Cost wise it wasn't much different to a decent garden office, but we hope will last as long and might aid with selling in a few years!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
[MENTION=24865]Berty23[/MENTION], this is a bit left field, and not really what you asked for, but have you considered a motorhome, or even a Palace des res (a caravan), to double up as a home office?

We sold our motorhome to some friends a couple of years ago as we no longer used it much. It's a proper full size Hymer A-class, so it's winterised, with a blown air heater, full electrics, cooking facilities, loo etc.
They use it as a home office when it is parked on the drive, and as a motorhome when they go on road trips around the country. They paid 10k for it (it was worth maybe 14k retail).

It also doubles up as a spare bedroom for when one of their adult children come home for a visit, or sleepovers for the grandchildren.

Just think, you could save a fortune on not having a home office built, but still have a comfortable home office, with a motorhome thrown in.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I can see how this can cause consternation. My neighbour is currently having a bespoke building put at the bottom of her garden. She had to have it redesigned when I pointed out that our garden border at the end had deviated almost a metre owing to a previous owner bogarting my land. I wouldn't have found this out had I not checked the legals after she started using the back of my house as a right of way for pals during Covid, and I had a 'full spectrum' moment (some of you will understand my reference here) as we were both feverishly checking our deeds. I posted about this at the time. Right of way and public right of way are not the same thing. Luckily for me.

Anyway....her new design is nice except the first build of the frame seemed awfully high to me. Then this week the wedge shaped roof suddenly had its high half lopped off. Apparently another neighbour had been reassured that height regs would be adhered to and they had instead been violated, creating a sun blocking tower over neighbour 2's veggy patch. Even though the roof is now fixed the neighbours are no longer speaking.

Mrs T and I are keen to put something else down our bit sometime soon. Materials are grossly overpriced presently, though. Next door's builder knows I'm on the market so he's doing a semi audtion with his current job.

My main concern is that if I get too good a build I'll be finding myself sleeping down there in a few years as Mrs T's patience thins to Welbeck hamstring width as I grow increasingly intolerable with age:lolol:

"Bogarting" - brilliant, never knew that was a word!

The boundary or fence thing is commonplace (not just folk on the spectrum :)). People pinch land where they can, often having fencing done when their neighbour’s gone up on holiday. Sometimes the new fence posts just happen to be 4” further over, expanding the beneficiary’s garden by that all the way along the boundary. Another thieving technique, is to plant a hedge on the neighbour’s land, expanding the garden by 2’ or 3’ feet’s width all the way along. Or an ‘accidental’ dog leg to grab some land. Other times, attempts at adverse possession.

Don’t know if this is just a British thing.
It would be very unAmerican not to have the same sort of thing going on over there!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can recommend Sensational Spaces in Worthing. I was toying with idea of having a glorified garden shed but having seen the room they built for a friend I’ve upspeced. Mine is being built now with the foundations (15 giant 1m long metal screws already installed) . It’s fully plastered, painted, electric sockets, down lights, electric heater and fuse board linked to your house. External dimensions 6m x 3.5m with two full height tilt/ turn windows and pair of double doors. The cost is approx £26k inc Vat.

Their work is custom built to your requirements so obviously costs will change depending what you want.

I work in construction and am happy with their approach so it would be worth having a chat with Shaun at the company and discuss your options, budget and any planning constraints.

They are busy though so expect a 4/5 month lead in period. Third of the payment on order, a third on commencement and the balance on completion.

He will give you a provisional budget for the electrics ( mine was £2.7k plus Vat) but subject to a subsequent separate quote from an electrician ( mine was a bit more but not too far off +£300/400?) so allow for a bit of contingency for that.
And I thought I was expensive we are currently doing the electrical installation supplying all materials and Labour for a few new build 4 beds at £7k each. The sparks you had must be on a grand a day at that price.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And I thought I was expensive we are currently doing the electrical installation supplying all materials and Labour for a few new build 4 beds at £7k each. The sparks you had must be on a grand a day at that price.

Supply and demand, exploiting the building boom.

5live had tradespeople on today who’ve doubled their day rates and if anything business has gone up. They felt it was psychological … potential customers correlate price with quality.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Not really. I’ve costed the work myself as I’ve been a Chartered Quantity Surveyor for 35 years. Includes materials , labour and new services 70m away. Difference between value and cost.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The boundary or fence thing is commonplace (not just folk on the spectrum :)). People pinch land where they can, often having fencing done when their neighbour’s gone up on holiday. Sometimes the new fence posts just happen to be 4” further over, expanding the beneficiary’s garden by that all the way along the boundary. Another thieving technique, is to plant a hedge on the neighbour’s land, expanding the garden by 2’ or 3’ feet’s width all the way along. Or an ‘accidental’ dog leg to grab some land. Other times, attempts at adverse possession.

Don’t know if this is just a British thing.

It's a Belgian thing, too - Belgian farmer accidentally moves French border

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

5live had tradespeople on today who’ve doubled their day rates and if anything business has gone up. They felt it was psychological … potential customers correlate price with quality.

That was that brilliant female plumber. She said her workload increased after she doubled her prices (as an experiment) with the punters thinking they were buying better quality :lolol: I have heard her before (and the female plasterer) talking about tradeswork. In my view you cannot but bow down to good tradesmanship. Craft, quality, pride in the work. I have to say that the tiling of my extension floor and walls (bathroom and khazi) are a thing of wonder and beauty :love:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We had a £15k (£17k with pad and extras) one 4.5m x 2.5m installed for wife’s publishing business in July.

Factors to consider:

1. Get bigger than you think you need, else you will regret not doing so. Marginal square meters are relatively low in cost;;
2. Check planning permission and restrictive covenants. PP generally unnecessary but we have Listed Building in Conservation Area in AONB, so deffo was for us. LB busybodies added several k to our building;
3. Not sure about DIY foundations. Ours needed digger/dumper/skip/gravel/premix lorry. And it had to be precise measurements to avoid splash back (base was checked before installing). A sound base is almost more important than the building.

Not sure if it applies to all but I read about some home offices in the garden can affect capital gains tax when selling. Might be worth checking.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was that brilliant female plumber. She said her workload increased after she doubled her prices (as an experiment) with the punters thinking they were buying better quality :lolol: I have heard her before (and the female plasterer) talking about tradeswork. In my view you cannot but bow down to good tradesmanship. Craft, quality, pride in the work. I have to say that the tiling of my extension floor and walls (bathroom and khazi) are a thing of wonder and beauty :love:

Not those blooming metro tiles again. I like them too btw.

Plastering’s a real skill. I knew a skint flint who had an extension done in Brighton and went with by far the cheapest quote. Lots of awful workmanship, the plastering for example was a joke, it had to be fixed by someone who knew what they were doing.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not really. I’ve costed the work myself as I’ve been a Chartered Quantity Surveyor for 35 years. Includes materials , labour and new services 70m away. Difference between value and cost.
I quickly worked it out £1k materials £2k Labour two days work. I guess he has to give the company a cut out of that probably the extra £300-400 :)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

They can’t be that busy ringing up a radio station I certainly wouldn’t have the time tbh.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I converted my garage into a home office a few years ago. Walls and roof already in, I put in a french door in the side which gives access right outside the house back door, electrics, insulating and skimmed and job done.

Had added benefit that the garage was just a junk space and so it doesn't collect the crap that would gravitate to there on a regular basis.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Early starter each day with no breaks, finishing by lunch.

Clearing £200 profit a day after materials, van costs and tax!
Is that it? Minimum £400 a day in London. I’m not one for rushing trying to get home early I’m a bit OCD with my work. Can’t complain my reviews keep the work flowing.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
[MENTION=24865]Berty23[/MENTION], this is a bit left field, and not really what you asked for, but have you considered a motorhome, or even a Palace des res (a caravan), to double up as a home office?

We sold our motorhome to some friends a couple of years ago as we no longer used it much. It's a proper full size Hymer A-class, so it's winterised, with a blown air heater, full electrics, cooking facilities, loo etc.
They use it as a home office when it is parked on the drive, and as a motorhome when they go on road trips around the country. They paid 10k for it (it was worth maybe 14k retail).

It also doubles up as a spare bedroom for when one of their adult children come home for a visit, or sleepovers for the grandchildren.

Just think, you could save a fortune on not having a home office built, but still have a comfortable home office, with a motorhome thrown in.

Thanks. I had not thought of that but good shout. Sadly I live on a development where we get one allocated parking space rather than my own drive way so it won’t be allowed. Would have been a good shout though!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for all the advice. NSC never lets us down (unless we talk about football, politics/brexit or covid).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here