Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garcia's Late Changes

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought the subs were wrong when 2 down I think he should have brought Dunk on and played 3 across the back thus allowing Orlandi to continue getting forward and supporting the front men with either Lopez or Bruno

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
The battering Ulloa is taking must eventually result in him being unfit to start a match,with Crofts and our Scottish striker still unfit we must forget the playoffs and field an attacking side as we did eventually today, a top half side in the Championship is much preferable to one struggling in the top league, an entertaining match in our present league will keep our attendances level.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Perhaps what we really need is a 2014 version of David Fairclough to come on for the last 15 minutes.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
It is simple.This squad ONLY lacks strength in the goalscoring department. It is about time we addressed this.For nearly 3 seasons in the Championship we have overwhelmed teams without getting the rewards. Everybody knows this, there must be some kind of conspiracy or a logical explanation beyond my enthusiastic football,Albion intellect!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is simple.This squad ONLY lacks strength in the goalscoring department. It is about time we addressed this.For nearly 3 seasons in the Championship we have overwhelmed teams without getting the rewards. Everybody knows this, there must be some kind of conspiracy or a logical explanation beyond my enthusiastic football,Albion intellect!

Money or lack of it or reluctance to spend it perhaps

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Are Garcia's late changes f***ing it up for us?

Christ OG can't win can he. Last season we went games going a goal down and knowing we wouldn't win. Gus's substitutions were always late and like for like or defensive. At least OG's subs are offensive. Give the man a break.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Simple answer, no. Our strikers not being able to take their chances is '****ing it up for us'

In fairness, Ulloa is at least scoring a goal a game at the moment. Recently, we've lost what we had when Crofts was about: Goals from midfield. For some reason, they either can't shoot, won't shoot, or shoot horribly.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
OG must think our strikers are scared of the goal. We have so many chances what is he supposed to do run on and knock em in. Leo is still off form but thankfully in the right place enough times to grab our solitary goal but apart from that we are toothless. Lua lua skins everyone hits the bar Buckley cuts inside forces keepers to full stretch saves but nobody is a natural finisher.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I thought the subs were wrong when 2 down I think he should have brought Dunk on and played 3 across the back thus allowing Orlandi to continue getting forward and supporting the front men with either Lopez or Bruno

Do you remember the last time we tried 3 at the back? It was dreadful.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
No, his refusal to play 2 goalscorers up front is from the beginning (especially at home) is. Statistically Ulloa scores very 5th attempt on goal. No-one else is providing any other source. Even when Crofts was scoring it was about every 15th attempt from him. Must play with 2 natural goalscorers in the squad or this is just going to continue.

I agree with this. I like Oscar and he's doing okay. But I wonder why we have to wait until we are losing to pile players forward. In my view I'd like to take the game to our opponents from the start, then having gained the upper hand think about defending. I am a firm believer in that attack being the best form of defence.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
During the Paul Barber Q&A yesterday he stated that money is available during the loan window if Oscar wants to strengthen and I really hope Oscar he brings in another striker. Any injury to Ulloa and we would really be in trouble.

That's all well and good now, that conveniently deflects away from him the fact that we fncked about with the Bridcutt transfer in January and left Jones no time for reinforcements, so he's left with a poor loan market.

Assuming that the likes of Obika are what Jones has to pick from - expect the club to peddle out the usual 'well money was available' when actually FFP is the one and only target that is cared about by Barber.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
An inspired OP. What else could Garcia do, he went for it and threw the kitchen sink at Wigan to try and get a result. It was thrilling stuff, just a shame we couldn't do it. Thoroughly enjoyed that yesterday, a great effort. Just wasn't our day.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No, his refusal to play 2 goalscorers up front is from the beginning (especially at home) is. Statistically Ulloa scores very 5th attempt on goal. No-one else is providing any other source. Even when Crofts was scoring it was about every 15th attempt from him. Must play with 2 natural goalscorers in the squad or this is just going to continue.

We only have one goalscorer. Playing two up front is not some miracle cure for our goalscoring ills, or Oscar would have done it months ago. Virtually all the top teams stopped playing this way years ago, I don't understand why people still don't get it. You have a point that we are only playing one goalscorer, but that's because we only have one fit one on the squad, it's nothing to do with the formation.

At one point yesterday we had Ulloa, Orlandi, Lua-Lua, Lopez and Buckey on the pitch together. Only Ulloa was playing as a striker, are you telling me that isn't an attacking formation? The problem is that Orlandi, Lopez, Lua-Lua, Buckley etc aren't scoring. We're creating plenty of chances, we just aren't taking them. Please explain how playing someone else up front alongside Ulloa is going to make a difference.

We could have won 4-2 yesterday if we'd have taken just some of our chances.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
That's all well and good now, that conveniently deflects away from him the fact that we fncked about with the Bridcutt transfer in January and left Jones no time for reinforcements, so he's left with a poor loan market.

Assuming that the likes of Obika are what Jones has to pick from - expect the club to peddle out the usual 'well money was available' when actually FFP is the one and only target that is cared about by Barber.

I take it your reference to what Jones wants and what Jones has to pick from, you are of the opinion that our Nathan is very much running things at the club and if you are who I think you are, then you are in a better place than many of us to make that judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here