Gamleys are going

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
:down:i got all my subbuteo stuff there ,my steiff teddy bear and untold amounts of lego and transformers-toys r us aint a touch on gamleys what is this world coming to?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
:cry: I used to get all of my mini army soldiers from there. Managed to drag my parents in every time we passed it. They would even try alternate routes to avoid it as we used to spend hours in there. RIP Gamleys.

Where are they going to? I have fond memories of my local Gamleys store when it was in the High Street in Tunbridge Wells (before relocating up the hill to Mount Pleasant). Used to walk past it on the way to school (we are talking mid '60's here) - shop was in two bits with toys on the right, Airfix, Triang, Scalextrix and other "boys stuff" on the left.

Have they gone bust? I blame Dick Knight for no particular reason.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Where are they going to? I have fond memories of my local Gamleys store when it was in the High Street in Tunbridge Wells (before relocating up the hill to Mount Pleasant). Used to walk past it on the way to school (we are talking mid '60's here) - shop was in two bits with toys on the right, Airfix, Triang, Scalextrix and other "boys stuff" on the left.

Which school in TWells out of interest?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
we used to make a special trip every christmas to Gamleys when I was little

sad indeed:down:

You sure you're not confusing it with Hamleys? Seems more like the kind of place you'd make a special trip to, but forgive me if I'm wrong.

Which school in TWells out of interest?

Christ Church Primary School which was knocked down soon after I left in '66, was a car park for the station for many years before being covered by the "Torrington project" car park monstrosity (also featuring the now closed Safeway/Morrisons). Thanks for asking!

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Incidentally, I went past the Gamleys in Hove this evening and I'm pretty sure a brick or similar had been put through one of the windows.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Have memories of the very same shop. We used to get Scalextrix cars in there.

Would have mid 70s.

I'd completely forgotten about it (and the split shop) until you mentioned it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Used to always be part of my kids Saturday shopping circuit when they were little; Gamleys, then Beatties, then up the spiral staircase at Uncle Sams at the clock-tower. A treat for me as well as them :unclesam:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Incidentally, I went past the Gamleys in Hove this evening and I'm pretty sure a brick or similar had been put through one of the windows.

was it a brick or a large piece of Lego ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The worthing shop has been crap for years. I asked where all their Airfix and Reveile model kits were and they looked at me like I was an idiot. Ok they may have been right on the idiot bit but fancy not stocking the Cutty Sark or a Mosquito in 1/33 or 1/72

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports