Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Gamestop: anyone been following this tale?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
AMC dropping like a stone, others follow. wait a minute...

Gamestop closed at $193 yesterday having hit $492 intra-day.

However, in after-house and pre-market trading, it's pretty much doubled again, and is sitting around $380 before the bell.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
When you have AOC and Ted Cruz both on the same side criticising the manipulation going on here you know it's bad. Will anything meaningful come from this though.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Is t it the punters that lose out rather than the hedge fund companies. Presumably if a short stock goes high then the hedge fund manager will sell other stocks to cover the losses in buying back the stock.

I remember having an argument with a fund manager over a situation in that if he is investing my money and the value decreases why should he be entitled to his commission?

Unless I’m am wrong it seems that fund and investment companies really cannot lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I've been checking my US pension fund (401k) to see what damage had been inflicted on it as a result of this. It did dip slightly initially but has since recovered. In the last few weeks it had performed well because of the Biden effect. But it just shows how fickle and volatile the market has always been even before the advent of Redditors and day traders. It's been great to see the little guy turning the tables for a while and also some of the hedge funds have tried to move in for the kill on some of their competitors - well, there's no honour amongst thieves. But the hedge funds in general will not take too kindly to others pissing on their patch and will build this episode into their future strategy as much as they can to prevent a recurrence. There's a good movie called the Hummingbird Project with Jesse Eisenberg which looks at how in an increasingly digital world with high volume trading financial success and profit are measured in micro seconds

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm certainly no expert in this but I'm struggling to see the problem the Hedge Funds and authorities are complaining about. The Hedge Funds are betting on the stocks going down while the public investors are betting on the stock going up.

If anything 'shorting' should be banned - no 'borrowing' of stock should be allowed. Just buy and sell the stock you want to bet on.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Is t it the punters that lose out rather than the hedge fund companies. Presumably if a short stock goes high then the hedge fund manager will sell other stocks to cover the losses in buying back the stock.

I remember having an argument with a fund manager over a situation in that if he is investing my money and the value decreases why should he be entitled to his commission?

Unless I’m am wrong it seems that fund and investment companies really cannot lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the danger here, perceived or otherwise, is that the hedge funds (one specifically) is so exposed that it could go pop.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It shows you how much people hate stockbrokers, as people are siding with the biggest losers on the internet, Reddit users.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think the danger here, perceived or otherwise, is that the hedge funds (one specifically) is so exposed that it could go pop.

Hopefully this mans?

2EE87304-B0FA-48A6-B14D-8F02EBC26F8A.jpeg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Getting bad those late in the game, down 33% yesterday, down 50% today

Heard some young lad on the Radio this morning saying he wasn't selling out of principal to give them Hedge Funds a bloody nose

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
certainly isnt going to plan. all sort of shady stuff going on. etoro had placed a SL on my position last night, had to remove or would have been out in today's fall.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
since last post, has halved (Stopped out) and now doubled from low. :rolleyes:

im sticking to crypto, much safer (buy the ETH break out) :lolol: :jester:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A client of mine who is a complete dick and his Mrs is worse used to own a hedge fund that blew up allegedly. Somehow he came out of it well living an a £30m in Mayfair as we speak..

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
It shows you how much people hate stockbrokers, as people are siding with the biggest losers on the internet, Reddit users.

Stockbrokers will only execute your instructions or offer advice if wanted . I think you are confusing with hedge funds who aggressively bet against companies and the small shareholder when deemed necessary. Basically looking out for number one !

Stockbrokers would cease to exist in their client form if no clients gave them orders to execute on the market .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here