Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Games on my own

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. Been to hundreds of gigs on my own (as well as scores of gigs as part of a group). To me, watching, say, The Fall, or The Birthday Party was always best served as a solitary experience, lost in music. Ditto European mini-breaks. I can, and do, experience those with others, tho the experience IMHO is best done alone. Lovely to be there chomping at the bit for the breakfast buffet to open, leaving a big full day to explore a new town exactly as you please. Waiting for others to fanny around for half the morning to get ready to go out is not the same thing at all
I'll join you with that*.

Until recently I have been taking a 'me' holiday to Cornwall, cycling, swimming, dining, and not having to shape my day around the needs of others (which I do at other times - I do have a smidge of social sense)

*Or, to be more accurate, I won't :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve had a few snowboarding trips on my own as well as all my US marathon running trips. These were really enjoyable partly due, as you say, to having no one to answer to. Ski trips were always bad for people fannying around getting ready.
My last 5 ski trips were on me todd. Marvellous. I did do chalet so there were plenty of people to spend time with if I felt in the mood. Communal dining (with limitless wine - end of season) is always fun. Especially amusing when others have melt downs, and I can simply wander off, tutting :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My last 5 ski trips were on me todd. Marvellous. I did do chalet so there were plenty of people to spend time with if I felt in the mood. Communal dining (with limitless wine - end of season) is always fun. Especially amusing when others have melt downs, and I can simply wander off, tutting :lolol:
Do you put fellow chalet-dwellers on ignore ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. Been to hundreds of gigs on my own (as well as scores of gigs as part of a group). To me, watching, say, The Fall, or The Birthday Party was always best served as a solitary experience, lost in music. Ditto European mini-breaks. I can, and do, experience those with others, tho the experience IMHO is best done alone. Lovely to be there chomping at the bit for the breakfast buffet to open, leaving a big full day to explore a new town exactly as you please. Waiting for others to fanny around for half the morning to get ready to go out is not the same thing at all
Did you see The Fall and The Birthday part in Hammersmith, circa 1980? Cracking gig. I went with a pal who shares with me little desire for conversation, apart from the occasional grunt of approval, and 'I'll get the beers in'. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do you put fellow chalet-dwellers on ignore ?
Of course. If they annoy me.

That said....I spent time on the slopes with a father and daughter a few years ago, pre Brexit, and the dad, a builder, was a mad Farrage fanboy. He was really nice. I found his naive enthusiasm infectious. I hope he hasn't been bankrupted by the current fiasco. Probably not. Seemed resilient.

Life is not entirely predicated by opinions, labels and that :wink:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don’t go to games anymore as I now struggle mixing socially- I would love to sneak a few games on my own but I know lots of fans and the thought of chatting to “football friends” puts the fear of god into me - shame as I have missed out on the best team we have ever had 😢
Ironically , I had started having very high anxiety issues and it triggered some OCD and took/take tablets for it stop doing lot of activities. Going back to football was a major positive for me. I went on my own but got a season ticket in 2nd year at AMEX and the people around me were great in drawing me into a friendly circle.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Morning all. Coming to the Burnley game later on my own. Sometimes bring the Mrs but with a baby it's not always that easy! Just wondered if many others go to games on their own? Doesn't really bother me (it's a rest from baby!)
Gone on my own for at least 50 years, what's your problem ? #billynomates

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I did that for most games in the Poyet/Garcia Amex era. The match part was fine and I got lucky with a group of friendly folk next to me.

But I found the travel bit boring, I'm a sociable animal. In the end I got less and less motivated, I gave up my ST (and managed to transfer it to that group .... PBOBE allowed special requests at that time).

Luckily my son got his Albion mojo back soon afterwards. He missed an entire cohort of Albion players including Ince, Gardner, COG, Agustien, Bennett :lolol:
Edited for you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did you see The Fall and The Birthday part in Hammersmith, circa 1980? Cracking gig. I went with a pal who shares with me little desire for conversation, apart from the occasional grunt of approval, and 'I'll get the beers in'. :lolol:
Was something of a Fall groupie at that time and saw them more or less every time they played in the South East in those days, tho memory cells containing individual gigs have largely crumbled since. Me and bruv's band even supported them once in Canterbury at Kent University. I do remember seeing The Birthday Party upstairs at the Richmond in Brighton not long before they split up

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I almost always go on my own and enjoy it, football is my escape. I got friendly with a few around me in the Withdean days and would sometimes travel away with friends when it was POTD.

I'm not particularly great in my own company but football is the exception.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I usually go with people but am totally happy going on my own when I do, I never think of it as going alone when you have thousands of Brighton all around you.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Not games but have been to a lot of gigs on my own. Also eaten at restaurants I’ve really wanted to go to on my own. I rather like it.
I often go to gigs on my own, and to the cinema. But I wouldn’t go to the theatre on my own. As for restaurants, I’m happy to go to a caff or fast food place on my own but wouldn’t want to go to a 'good' eatery without company. When I travelled solo on business, and had the opportunity to eat at nice places on expenses, I’d always try to eat early in the evening when the place wasn’t busy. I felt self-conscious when dining alone in a very popular restaurant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I often go to gigs on my own, and to the cinema. But I wouldn’t go to the theatre on my own. As for restaurants, I’m happy to go to a caff or fast food place on my own but wouldn’t want to go to a 'good' eatery without company. When I travelled solo on business, and had the opportunity to eat at nice places on expenses, I’d always try to eat early in the evening when the place wasn’t busy. I felt self-conscious when dining alone in a very popular restaurant.
That’s a reason I have often heard. I personally don’t have an issue with it these days; in some respects it allows me to concentrate/focus on the restaurant and food more.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was about to use the phrase’ you’re never alone when you support The Albion’ which reminded me of an incident Wednesday night.

An old boy that sits near me (he’s in his 80s) was struggling on the steps to his seat hindered by the pie n Bovril he was carrying. So I gave him a hand and he went on to tell me how he was having a mare as he’d forgotten his walking stick, his phone and his debit cards. He then went on how he’d treated himself to a pie and drink and unaware of the situation thought it would be ok to pay with a tenner, obviously had no joy but while trying to negotiate with the staff another fan stepped in and paid for him of which he was very appreciative.
Top work from that Albion fan 👏
Can’t believe someone fell for that old people’s scam 🤣 Firstly how did he get in without his phone 🤔

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Surely he just gave the tenner to the bloke who paid for him?
Well we’re through the looking glass now, I was gonna ask him if he offered to cough up the tenner but it was such a heartwarming moment I didn’t want to spoil it.
Can’t believe someone fell for that old people’s scam 🤣 Firstly how did he get in without his phone 🤔
Hang on, this is getting like Fawlty Towers now, I don’t know who the woman is that looks like Sybil and drives a similar car, she’s from the north, I met her once at a fete. Happy now

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Morning all. Coming to the Burnley game later on my own. Sometimes bring the Mrs but with a baby it's not always that easy! Just wondered if many others go to games on their own? Doesn't really bother me (it's a rest from baby!)
LOVE GOING ON MY OWN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here