Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Game vs Palace - how do you deal with it, therapeutically?

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Living in Argyll now I won't be at the game today though a few years ago I would have (tried to have) been.

This fixture causes me almost emergency medical situations, as I'm sure it does for many reading this post.

We don't have Sky & the thought of following the scoreline on BBC is too awful...

So at 1.30 I shall progress to Dumbarton and have a couple of pints of Tennants at the flat-roofed Stag bar, followed by a short walk to the Dumbarton 'stadium' to witness the non-Champagne festival of football that is Dumbarton vs Annan Athletic.

And hope for good news when my phone re-connects with tinternet at 5.00pm.

How do you cope with it?

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Yeah, me neither. Rising dread, anxiety and bad-temperedness through the day, leading to increasingly heavy self-medication (beer, spirits, anti-freeze, formaldehyde - whatever's to hand) as KO approaches. By 3pm I'm usually reduced to slurred, inarticulate animal cries of anguish and fury. Ah well, hey ho.

I live overseas but all the Premier League games are available - oddly, I hate following the Albion (especially Palace) on TV or a stream more than via other remote access media like the radio, etc. Even experiencing the 19th-century squalor of Selhurst is less nerve-wracking than watching us play on the telly.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm not sure I cope with it well at all - I'm a few hundred miles away and still my nerves are shredded already. All the logic saying that we're in better form, higher in the league and, on paper, the better side seems to count for nothing in terms of re-assurance for this one.

Mind you, I don't think I'd have it any other way.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I enjoy the rivalry and all it entails but its just a game at the end of the day, and one I have no influence over, so no point in stressing too much over it

Used to stress much more in my playing days but watching is different imo

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm still haunted by 'Andy?' 'Johnson!', 'Andy?', 'JOHNSON!'.

I couldn't speak for 24 hours after that game, and haven't been back to shitehole park since.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I have never recovered from my last visit there 20 odd years ago.

I am hoping that going today will provide redemption and I can finally get back on with everyday life.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Last time I went I had just had a shoulder op (had 2 more since) I had a good dose of liquid morphine, it helped.

Got nothing to take today so nerves already.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm still haunted by 'Andy?' 'Johnson!', 'Andy?', 'JOHNSON!'.

I couldn't speak for 24 hours after that game, and haven't been back to shitehole park since.
Me too, I am still waiting for the reverse result at Selhurst. Revenge, as they say, is a dish best served cold. Well that it will be when(if) it happens

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I love the fact that I can now ‘access’ 3pm games…… However, not today, I simply cannot watch this one on a TV, I’m going to walk the dog at 2.55, probably stop into the village pub as they’ll have the rugby on.

What’s even worse is I’m going out for dinner tonight with a crowd of us, 1 of which is a Palace STH. I know for a fact that both our wives are praying for a draw…..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How do you cope with it?

I'm excited and nervous, but I know that even if it doesn't go our way, as a club we are still in a very good position.

If the fate of our club was Championship football, I'd be fine with that. It's a decent level of skill to enjoy and we get to watch in a great stadium - an absolute dream compared to what we went through. The fact that we're more than holding our own in the Premier League, and with exciting football to boot, is just fantastical. I still can't believe it. And if we lose today, that doesn't change. I'll switch off the game and pretend football doesn't exist and distract myself for a while, remembering that other (more serious) things in life are more important.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Hate watching on the telly, do not like home games as anything but a win is too awful. Going to the away fixture just confirms we are in a different league to them as a club, I enjoy seeing the squalor and witnessing the Sunday league cloggers try to compete in their Cup final.

Don't think I've seen us lose at selhurst, been to 6 games. Hope that little personal run continues today.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Never been so down after a match as I was after that play off game. Hated this fixture ever since.

Today is a bit different though. I won't care as much if they beat us because I'm just so happy at how everything is now. It would hurt less than normal I think....

But If... IF we win, I will be possibly the happiest I've ever been as an Albion fan and knowing that they can rob me of that feeling is what's driving me mad.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I have never recovered from my last visit there 20 odd years ago.

I am hoping that going today will provide redemption and I can finally get back on with everyday life.
Me too. I have never forgotten the kettling after the 5-0, which ended up being held static on Station Road for ages.
I see today they have advised of new 'walking routes' which look they are 'advised'. However, Met Police give no choice!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve we lose, off goes the phone. If we win, my Palace mates phones go equally dead. Today was offered a seat in the home end. Can’t do it. At home, listen on radio and take dogs for walk. Maybe a Coke Zero and bag of peanuts somewhere along the way. Come on lads, rise above ‘em and soar like the seagulls you are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here