Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gambles on players from non-league that have paid off

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Brian Horton.
Eric Young. Although his career went full circle when he signed for Palace.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Peterborough have a decent record of picking players from non-league clubs.

This season they signed Marcus Maddison from Gateshead, who seems to be doing well in a struggling side. I think George Boyd came from non league too, and possibly Aaron McLean (back when he was good).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tony Book. Didn't sign for Plymouth until he was 30 and then went on to lift the 1st Div title with City when he was 34.

As for us, Peter Ward stands out but Codner, Bissett an Pearce have honourable mentions. Brian Horton was 21 when he signed for Port Vale from non-league. Eric Young also served well.

As for the OP, Doug Loft has had a good professional career, just not with us. Holyroyd and Elder on the other hand!!!!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Paul Moulden scored a hatful for Kidderminster in the Conference, then went to Oldham (not sure if via any other clubs). I think he did okay for them in the old Division Two, but couldn't make it in their Premier League side. He formed a very good (both on loan) partnership for us with Steve Cotterill in 1992-1993, but both had to return to their parent clubs after their loans were up as we were (literally) skint. Mark Beeney was sold in early 1993, which I think prevented a winding-up order from the Inland Revenue. I was very disappointed - I would have liked to have signed both. Moulden in particular was a class player.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Paul Moulden scored a hatful for Kidderminster in the Conference, then went to Oldham (not sure if via any other clubs). I think he did okay for them in the old Division Two, but couldn't make it in their Premier League side. He formed a very good (both on loan) partnership for us with Steve Cotterill in 1992-1993, but both had to return to their parent clubs after their loans were up as we were (literally) skint. Mark Beeney was sold in early 1993, which I think prevented a winding-up order from the Inland Revenue. I was very disappointed - I would have liked to have signed both. Moulden in particular was a class player.

Remember him well, played the no.10 type role very well, class player with great vision. A great foil to Cotterill's power...

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Steve Claridge started there too, didn't he? Went on to have a fantastic career.

He was a quiet and shy 18 year old when he first joined Weymouth on loan from Bournemouth! We used to chat to him in the bar after away games! Sadly he was snapped up by Palace and the rest is history!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
He was a quiet and shy 18 year old when he first joined Weymouth on loan from Bournemouth! We used to chat to him in the bar after away games! Sadly he was snapped up by Palace and the rest is history!

Palace? Really? I thought he went to Aldershot, then Cambridge, then just about everyone else.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Michael Kightly.

Non league until into his twenties and then signed for Wolves. Since then he has risen further, and has been in the Premier League for two or three years now (Stoke and Burnley).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here