Gambia

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Isn't that where middle aged women go to meet young black guys?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
went to banjul many many moons ago (1979) and it was a shit-hole. everything got covered in red sand and the locals were a pain in the arse. they either begged or tried to literally push jewellery onto you. had loads of scraps with the locals too. had to go around in groups to combat them.
i was in the forces at that time and we had to wear rig.

sunshine

May 31, 2006
Essex
is it???? i jus want a beach holiday wit my boyfriend at new year... flights to Goa are £1000!!!!

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
hampden park said:
went to banjul many many moons ago (1979) and it was a shit-hole. everything got covered in red sand and the locals were a pain in the arse. they either begged or tried to literally push jewellery onto you. had loads of scraps with the locals too. had to go around in groups to combat them.
i was in the forces at that time and we had to wear rig.

On the other I went about 4 ish years ago. Thought the people were brilliant, they call it the Smile Coast because they all smile, Beach I stayed at was also really nice.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
hans kraay fan club said:
Isn't that where middle aged women go to meet young black guys?

Yeah you see loads of them, and old men with young Gambians.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I found it difficult to trust people out there, especially the hotel workers who try to befriend you and invite you to have dinner with their family at their 'house'.

Things to try:
Palm wine
Banjul market
Gold merchants
Local 'cigerettes'
Bird watching
Football on the beach with the locals

Things not to try:
Dinner at a hotel workers 'house'
Getting too friendly with locals
Beach sellers
Visiting the blind school
Fruit ladies
Juice men

bigbadbonkingbob

Aug 21, 2006
If you go, take some cheap pads of paper and Bic biros. Give them to the kids when you're there, in the schools if they have paper and a pen they get to sit at the front of the class; otherwise they get to sit at the back with a slate and chalk which they have to return at the end of the day. Scary but true - it's an immensely poor country, little things you do make a massive difference.

sunshine

May 31, 2006
Essex
hans kraay fan club said:
What you and Mrs Sunshine get up to in your room is your business.

oooooh no i meant as in jet ski's etc, not golden showers ergh

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
For some reason, I know the national anthem:

"Oh Gambia, Gambia,
You are so small and thin
When it comes to being called Gambia
You're the win to win"

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
I Stayed here

Palma Rima

The Gambia was fantastic. The locals can be a bit pushy, but if you tell them straight off that you will not be buying anything from them they will leave you alone.

Trips I enjoyed were the roots trip up the River Gambia, and the visit to the crocodile pit, where I was lucky enough to shake hands with one of the resident crocs!!:ohmy:

Also while I was out there I was taken by one of the locals to watch Gambia v Senegal, at the national stadium. well worth a trip if there are any games on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports