Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Future Capacity at Falmer?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One of the constraints about the level of train service between Brighton, Falmer and Lewes is that you can't (in theory) get an eight coach train into the Brighton line platforms at Lewes Station.

BUT ...

... during the snow, when Southern were running fewer trains than normally, they WERE running eight coach trains between Brighton and Lewes. Passengers in the end carriages just had to move along the train to get out when it got to Lewes. With electric doors, this appears to be a perfectly practical solution - although loading and unloading would take longer.

This is true. I was on one of those trains.

However, if memory serves me well, you could only alight from the front six carriages at Moulsecoomb. You could get out from all eight at Lewes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
One of the constraints about the level of train service between Brighton, Falmer and Lewes is that you can't (in theory) get an eight coach train into the Brighton line platforms at Lewes Station.

BUT ...

you can only alight from the front 7 carridges at Hackbridge and Carshalton, as the driver tells me everyday. controllable electric doors makes this rather more easy to manage i imagine.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
you can only alight from the front 7 carridges at Hackbridge and Carshalton, as the driver tells me everyday. controllable electric doors makes this rather more easy to manage i imagine.

Yeah. But its a fecking long walk to the stadium:lolol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is there any area within a quick stroll from Falmer with plenty of pubs? I only ask because I feel if there was, a good chunk of the crowd would feel inclined to walk to the nearest 'fan friendly' drinking hole? This would reduce some of the immediate congestion.

No, the stadium is right at the edge of Brighton. To the east and south are just fields and to the north and west are university campuses, Stanmer Park and Falmer village. The nearest pubs are the Swan and the Hiker's Rest, and even if both stayed open (and there's talk that the Swan might cease to be a pub) and tripled their capacity it wouldn't make much difference. Hence the desire to make the stadium 'pleasant' so that a fair proportion of the crowd want to stay behind for a drink afterwards - although how the bars etc are going to cope with 8, 9, 10 or more thousand people all wanting a pint at full time is another matter.

EDIT: And of course people might not WANT to stay. Especially after an evening game with work the next day they'll want to try and get on a train before they stop running for the night.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
No, the stadium is right at the edge of Brighton. To the east and south are just fields and to the north and west are university campuses, Stanmer Park and Falmer village. The nearest pubs are the Swan and the Hiker's Rest, and even if both stayed open (and there's talk that the Swan might cease to be a pub) and tripled their capacity it wouldn't make much difference. Hence the desire to make the stadium 'pleasant' so that a fair proportion of the crowd want to stay behind for a drink afterwards - although how the bars etc are going to cope with 8, 9, 10 or more thousand people all wanting a pint at full time is another matter.

EDIT: And of course people might not WANT to stay. Especially after an evening game with work the next day they'll want to try and get on a train before they stop running for the night.

Ok. That’s a shame, I saw the piece where Martin Perry said bars would be open after the game but I suspect for many, they would rather go to a ‘proper’ pub. Saying that if the bars are reasonably priced and have a decent range of beers I could see it become fairly popular. On feature of Flamer that sounded pretty good was the fact the all concourses, presumably apart from the away end, will be opened after the game to allow free movement.

Thanks for your response and FG too.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I would imagine that people taking non-essential journeys will find an alternative rather than being rammed in with a large amount of football fans.

I think it is going to be quite chaotic for the first few months, at least!

Got to agree.I just hope it all settles down.Too much hassle and attendances could be substantially affected.
I am no expert on public transport and am not up to speed on what is proposed,but getting 20,000 people to and from Falmer in a reasonable and acceptable time and fashion doesn't look easy to me.Anyone disagree or think that I am being a pessimist?:falmer:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Extra time and penalties in a midweek tie? Carnage leaving and getting a train. Women and children first?
Indeed. I know Brighton Council has a complete aversion to proper strategic planning and joined-up thinking but it's a real shame that the stadium development couldn't have been tied in with a proper Park 'n' Ride development. The football ground will be mainly used in winter and most of the visitors are in summer, so leaving aside one or two weekends in August (when we might have to ask for away fixtures) the two uses would dovetail nicely.

No chance of that now not with this wretched National Park status putting the kybosh on any future development. And of course the prevailing view that every time a motorist starts their engine a polar bear drowns.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is bound to be extra shuttle services, as there was when we played at the Goldstone. As for the stadium bars, hopefully these will be actual bars rather than just on the concourse under the stand however, no doubt those making use of these will be able to watch final score or 'Brighton TV' after match analysis or even whatever live sky game is on at 5.15.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

BUT ...

... during the snow, when Southern were running fewer trains than normally, they WERE running eight coach trains between Brighton and Lewes. Passengers in the end carriages just had to move along the train to get out when it got to Lewes. With electric doors, this appears to be a perfectly practical solution - although loading and unloading would take longer.

Good point, and the precedent is already set with stations like Balcombe (and many other short platformed stations), where there are constant messages about needing to be in the front x number of carriages to alight.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Indeed. I know Brighton Council has a complete aversion to proper strategic planning and joined-up thinking but it's a real shame that the stadium development couldn't have been tied in with a proper Park 'n' Ride development. The football ground will be mainly used in winter and most of the visitors are in summer, so leaving aside one or two weekends in August (when we might have to ask for away fixtures) the two uses would dovetail nicely.

No chance of that now not with this wretched National Park status putting the kybosh on any future development. And of course the prevailing view that every time a motorist starts their engine a polar bear drowns.

The majority of people coming into Brighton in their car would do so via the A23. It therefore makes far more sense to use a site on the A23 for Park & Ride. Sending them to Falmer (a detour of a good couple of miles) doesn't really represent joined-up thinking to me.

When you say 'proper Park & Ride', I presume you mean 'a Park & Ride', seeing as this city doesn't actually have one at present.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I know that you will be able to purchase a car park season as well as a stadium season ticket, the question is, how easy (or not) will it be to get out of the area (and back up the A23) at the end of a match. Will it be worth the extra cost? Will it actually save any time versus getting a bus to a park and ride etc.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The majority of people coming into Brighton in their car would do so via the A23. It therefore makes far more sense to use a site on the A23 for Park & Ride. Sending them to Falmer (a detour of a good couple of miles) doesn't really represent joined-up thinking to me.

When you say 'proper Park & Ride', I presume you mean 'a Park & Ride', seeing as this city doesn't actually have one at present.
No, I mean a proper park 'n' ride', as in one designed for the purpose as opposed to someone saying "We need a park and ride but we haven't got the political guts to build one so let's pick somewhere, anywhere and use that regardless of its suitability." Withdean stadium! :facepalm::facepalm:

However yes, I agree a car park at Braypool would be a better option - ideally we'd have had one there as well. Instead we've got nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here