Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Further Transfer Business

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Spent more than 900k. Not all the fees are available, but we've signed Dendoncker, van Hecke, Ella, Weir. Dd was out of contact so no transfer fee, van Hecke is reported 1.8 million, Weir was 500k, and Ella had three years left on his contract at Amiens, he must have cost quite a lot, surely numbered in the millions.

Also spent money on Zac Emmerson from Oldham, but as a 15 year old he can't have been too much, surely?

Saw £300k quoted somewhere for Ella when his name first came up.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Yeah, I'm not wholly convinced we'll sign a LB/LWB. If the right player becomes available at the right price, then maybe, but I don't think we're going all out - even if Bernardo leaves.

As you say, we have BDB to step in. Roberts can play there and there's Cochrane in the wings too. I also wonder whether he might experiment with Izzy there in an U23 or cup game

Izzy wouldn't work as a wingback. Will be a decent player in the front 3 if we can get him back to how he was though.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I think any further incomings will be in the last days of the window, we are not desperate despite what some may say, yes we can do with strengthening, but that is very different to desperate.

The reason i think we will leave it late, apart from the possibility of better deals, is to see what other developemens there are with regards to Covid, if there is reasonable risk to the season not being completed and therefore Sky wanting most of their money back, then we will be glad we haven't spent, what may not be ours, unlike quite a few of our competitors who could find themselves in a very serious financial situation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Maupay, Connolly and Ryan get injured for example who replaces them?

The squad isn't that deep anymore. Plus lots of reports of Molumby going.
At present, Gyokeres or Ali J and Steele or Sanchez. A front three of Mac Argie, Lallana and Tross, although none of them are out and out CFs, wouldn't be the worst front three ever either.

If Molumby goes as well as Stephens that would leave us very weak at DM though.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
If Maupay and Connolly get injured before the new year, then I would expect Ali J Trossard or Ali Mac to cover them.
If after that then we may have Andone as an option.

There is also Gyokeres who may or may not be able to step us to this level.

That's awful though. We'd lose Trossard in his best position, MacAllister never played upfront, Gyokeres couldn't get a start in the german second league, Andone said he'll never play for us again and is injured for god knows how long. Jahanbaksh the only one who I could see stepping up.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
That appears to be the objective just worried we may leave it right to the wire and overpay especially if one of our forwards picks up an injury. The club are so good at keeping cards close to their chest we have no idea whether we're completely done or it's gonna be an extremely busy ten days or so.

TBH I think there will be some desperate clubs in the championship who need to realize their assets as the prospect of a whole season with no crowds kicks in. I kind of hope we buy from English clubs as a way of helping clubs survive.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
In transfers maybe but the wage bill must be looking much healthier. There is surely serious work being done on a striker. Going in with our current options is suicide. Imagine Maupay getting a serious injury straight after the window shuts.

Absolutely - there's got to be a saving of, what, c. £200k pw between all of the outgoing players?

AK, Stephens, Murray, Mooy, Montoya, Duffy & Locadia must all have been on a fair whack, so if they average out at £30-35k per week, it soon adds up (though I believe we're still paying half of Duffy's?). That's over £10m saved for the year.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It'll be interesting how 'new Covid restrictions could last 6 months' hits the latter days of transfer window. It's a massive hit. Anticipate that any big business done for most including us.

Could also mean that a lot of clubs in Europe will be absolutely desperate to get rid of players and that you can make a dirty good deal or two on deadline day.

Are you sure about that? His wiki page ain’t all that. Think some fans are kidding themselves tbh.

His Wikipedia page isnt telling the goal per minutes ratio so maybe look elsewhere?

0.51 goals per 90 minutes last season (thats one goal per every two games)
0.74 goals per 90 minutes the season before that (one goal roughly every one and a half games)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Absolutely - there's got to be a saving of, what, c. £200k pw between all of the outgoing players?

AK, Stephens, Murray, Mooy, Montoya, Duffy & Locadia must all have been on a fair whack, so if they average out at £30-35k per week, it soon adds up (though I believe we're still paying half of Duffy's?). That's over £10m saved for the year.

We’re very likely still paying some of Duffy’s, Murray’s and Locadia’s (he’s still ours isn’t he?) but, yes, we’ve taken a fair chunk off the wage bill and we will be working hard to strengthen our strikeforce.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think any further incomings will be in the last days of the window, we are not desperate despite what some may say, yes we can do with strengthening, but that is very different to desperate.

The reason i think we will leave it late, apart from the possibility of better deals, is to see what other developemens there are with regards to Covid, if there is reasonable risk to the season not being completed and therefore Sky wanting most of their money back, then we will be glad we haven't spent, what may not be ours, unlike quite a few of our competitors who could find themselves in a very serious financial situation.

Exactly, if Covid messes things up completely, you can envisage some higher spending clubs getting themselves in a massive financial hole, perhaps not the 'top' teams, but some of the 'other 14'. Plus, if any of those teams gets relegated in that state, they could be toast within a couple of years.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's awful though. We'd lose Trossard in his best position, MacAllister never played upfront, Gyokeres couldn't get a start in the german second league, Andone said he'll never play for us again and is injured for god knows how long. Jahanbaksh the only one who I could see stepping up.
Yes, we could lose Trossard in his best position. Just as well Mac Argie and Lallana like playing in that postion too, eh?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

To be honest losing two strikers is a bad situation, you would expect most clubs of our size to be in an "awful" situation at that point.

I would back Potter to adapt the players and formation depending on the constraints of the time.
He knows what he's doing and the idea that he is committed to 2 up front and those 2 being Maupay andf Connolly is ludicrous.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There are also no spectators allowed at the Amex until March that'll cost Tony a Gareth Bale

Possibly, not definitely ('could' last six months').

I'm still optimistic we'll be back before then, but I think it is 100% correct for the club to make that assumption and run this window accordingly, as they seem to be doing.

What I think is more certain, and I suspect is influencing the thinking even more than the club finances over the next few months, is the longer term prospects for the transfer market. Rght now I suspect many clubs are realizing they cannot afford to go down and thus throwing money they don't have around to try and ensure they don't face that risk. As someone said elsewhere, three clubs are going to lose that gamble. Come January (or next summer) I'd expect there will be some serious firesales kicking off and player values will plummet.

We are in a fortunate position of a) not having to be so scared financially of the drop as many others and b) having a squad in place that is strong enough in most areas, so that we don't have to spend huge amounts to strengthen (apart from another striker - obviously). My view is that if we don't do well enough to stay up it will be for reasons that can't be influenced by the kind of spending we can afford.

This means (striker excepted) we can sit tight and play the longer game. This means snapping up the best looking youngsters (especially in the forward department) to strengthen the development team. As we are doing. And waiting for the buyers market to arrive, whether in January or next summer. Because it will. And we'll be well placed to take the next step up again then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are currently +£14.4m this window.

With an improved, and appropriately streamlined squad.

Great work Tony :thumbsup:

It's almost as if there's a plan.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Not weakened us but losing Murray, Duffy, Mooy and Stephens and Button replacing them with Academy players is a big move. Gut feeling says the right move though.

All we're doing is replacing older back up players with younger, fitter and hungrier back up players.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Spent more than 900k. Not all the fees are available, but we've signed Dendoncker, van Hecke, Ella, Weir. Dd was out of contact so no transfer fee, van Hecke is reported 1.8 million, Weir was 500k, and Ella had three years left on his contract at Amiens, he must have cost quite a lot, surely numbered in the millions.

Also spent money on Zac Emmerson from Oldham, but as a 15 year old he can't have been too much, surely?

All fall into U23 category surely and therefore have a separate budget much like the women's team etc.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Yes, we could lose Trossard in his best position. Just as well Mac Argie and Lallana like playing in that postion too, eh?

Completely different types of players. Trossard is not a striker and I don't think he could adapt to that position. The only way I think it could work if we lost both of our strikers is playing without one. Like a del Bosque side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here