Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Further Falmer Developments

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Thought some of you might be interested in this. Found it whilst bored at uni and started flicking through the free uni rag. Makes interesting reading when you consider all the crap we've had. Perhaps this snuck under the nimby radar whilst they were concentrating their pitchforks on us.

falmer15yn.jpg

falmer27my.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I got an email today (through working there) about some more developments up there....

Might post it tomorrow, if you're LUCKY.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
That's uglier than any stadium!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I can't for the life of me think where they can fit in buildings of that size between the A27 and the station.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
What they're doing to the (former) East Slope car park looks like a landfill site at the moment. I trust Tom Carr et al are having a whinge about that as well?

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Very interesting, cannot wait to see if there are anymore developments from this, and see what the Nimbys do about it.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Can this be brought to more people's attention? Can't someone get the Argus to run an article etc etc?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I'd be interested to know if Lord B knows much about this and if it's being mentioned at the inquiry at all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is very interesting indeed.
Looking at my aerial photograph of the Falmer site. As there's no mention of Village Way South, I take it this development will be on the patch of land directly to the west of where the stadium will be, sandwiching the university in between the two developments ?

Suck on THAT, nimbys. You're going to have a METROPOLIS on your doorstep whether you like it or not.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:
That is very interesting indeed.
Looking at my aerial photograph of the Falmer site. As there's no mention of Village Way South, I take it this development will be on the patch of land directly to the west of where the stadium will be, sandwiching the university in between the two developments ?

Suck on THAT, nimbys. You're going to have a METROPOLIS on your doorstep whether you like it or not.

Where do you reckon it is then? Is it on either of these?

stadiumsky.jpg

newfalmerair.jpg

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just to be clear. This is a development by Sussex University, and not the new buildings Brighton University will be building to replace the ones which are currently on the site of the stadium's West Stand?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Curious Orange said:
Just to be clear. This is a development by Sussex University, and not the new buildings Brighton University will be building to replace the ones which are currently on the site of the stadium's West Stand?

Correct.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rangdo said:
Where do you reckon it is then? Is it on either of these?

stadiumsky.jpg

newfalmerair.jpg
Well, I asume from that article that it must be to the west of the stadium and current uni buildings, as it specifically states that it will be "between the A27 and Falmer station". There's no way it could be to the east of the stadium, and I'd have thought it would have said "Village Way South" if it was to the south of the stadium.

This is all assumptions though. Maybe someone else knows for sure ?

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
The proposal is for development on the end of the current Southern Water site. That is the green bit to the left of the wording "proposed stadium site" between the railway line and the A27on the aerial photo above.

The Club are aware and it is not considered material to the current Inquiry.

The NIMBYs know about this development for Sussex Uni, the Brighton Uni masterplan changes and the new residences for Brighton Uni but have not objected to them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'll check our estates and facilities site when it comes back up and bring a definitive guide to the developments...

Here's something for starters that doesn't really make sense to me.

''As part of the ongoing Falmer redevelopment programme, an enabling works contract begins this week with a seven day 'set up period'.

The main purpose of the enabling works phase is to move the remaining occupants of Friston House into other buildings on the campus so that it is empty by July, in readiness for its demolition during the University's summer vacation, 2005. This will release the site for the next stage of development and a new academic building (Phase 4/5), planned to start in November and be completed during 2007.

Inevitably there will be some disruption to campus life during the enabling works and, to help understand the construction process and its impact on the University community, the Estate and Facilities Management projects team will be displaying drawings and plans in Ringmer House reception that not only show the proposed works, but also the contractor's on site location and access routes. ROK Build Limited, appointed as the main building contractor, have comprehensive experience of working on occupied university sites and have prepared extensively to ensure the health and safety of both staff and visitors, which includes posting signs and safety instructions throughout the area where the work is to be undertaken.

The enabling works include:

a new finance and registry office in Ringmer House;
works in Bevendean House to form a new seminar room;
a new Student Union shop in Uckfield House;
improved disabled access into Uckfield House;
relocated office accommodation in Dallington House;
landscaping and providing seating on the 'old library slab' to provide much needed amenity space;
extensive service infrastructure upgrading;

- all leading to the demolition of Friston House and the development of a new academic building.''

To be honest it means bugger all to the Inquiry.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

To be honest it means bugger all to the Inquiry.

No doubt. However, it is evidence of the pure Nimbyism of the Falmer knob-ends. They give no objection whatsoever to a building large enough to accomodate 450 people just a few hundred yards to the West of the stadium site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here