Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Furlough

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We've just had a company wide briefing during which we were told some members of staff would be placed into furlough. However, we were also told that some other staff will be asked to drop from a 37.5 hour week to a 30 hour week, presumably including a pro-rata salary drop. Is that allowed under the current circumstances?

Not sure if I'm going to be in either group yet, but asking just in case.....

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
If staff being furloughed have a variable salary then the average they earned in the last year can be used. This was a great relief for one of our commission based field sales chaps who had a terrible February.

Are you sure this is right ?
I’m not sure commission payments and bonuses are to be included in that average.

Jan 30, 2008
The answer to the original question, (Can your employer ask you to work, whilst furloughed?) is No...

However, mine has just told me that they've checked legally, and that once furloughed (most likely by next week) it is okay for us to VOLUNTEER to do a little bit.

In our case I think this is entirely fair enough, tbh - for myself it will just involve checking the post, and doing some security checks at our empty premises a couple of times a week. Not a lot to ask, given my employer will still be paying a fair bit of my (full) salary.
good for you i say . i'm not prepared to volunteer for anything especially with management getting their full whack, if they want me to help them out put me back on full wages.......... It's not a charity :wink:
regards
DF

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
good for you i say . i'm not prepared to volunteer for anything especially with management getting their full whack, if they want me to help them out put me back on full wages.......... It's not a charity :wink:
regards
DF

That is fair enough. If they were not talking about continuing to pay us full wages, I’m sure my view might be different.

Jan 30, 2008
That is fair enough. If they were not talking about continuing to pay us full wages, I’m sure my view might be different.
well you've had a result then and it works both ways , what annoys me is that some peoples good nature will be exploited but in the end it's up to the individual in what they do
regards
DF

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
No they can’t. But if you want to help business survive I’m sure you could help them out if you want. After all anyone with a job after this will be doing well and will help the country that’s going to be on its knees for years to come.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We've just had a company wide briefing during which we were told some members of staff would be placed into furlough. However, we were also told that some other staff will be asked to drop from a 37.5 hour week to a 30 hour week, presumably including a pro-rata salary drop. Is that allowed under the current circumstances?

Not sure if I'm going to be in either group yet, but asking just in case.....

Now just been told I'm being put on reduced hours as of tomorrow. Down to a 30 hour week from 37.5, so 20% pay cut.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If I had been furloughed (even on 80% wage) and I was asked to volunteer to do something reasonable to ensure my job was still there at the end of this, I would do it.

If it meant doing 80% of what I normally do, I would probably reconsider, but to do a little bit, on 80% pay to ensure the company (and my employment) continues ? I really can't understand why anyone wouldn't :shrug:

Are you sure this is right ?
I’m not sure commission payments and bonuses are to be included in that average.

I'm not 100% but the wording is that those with variable earnings can use an average over the past year rather than Feb 2019 as the base.

Apart from those who work different hours each month, I can't think of any other reason why ones earning would vary unless there was a commission element or a bonus.

Do bear in mind that some employees would earn the majority of their salary as commission.

Jan 30, 2008
If I had been furloughed (even on 80% wage) and I was asked to volunteer to do something reasonable to ensure my job was still there at the end of this, I would do it.

If it meant doing 80% of what I normally do, I would probably reconsider, but to do a little bit, on 80% pay to ensure the company (and my employment) continues ? I really can't understand why anyone wouldn't :shrug:

define reasonable ? cleaning the company car ???
regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
define reasonable ? cleaning the company car ???
regards
DF

reasonable
/ˈriːz(ə)nəb(ə)l/

adjective

having sound judgement; fair and sensible.
"no reasonable person could have objected"

based on good sense.
"it seems a reasonable enough request"
ARCHAIC
able to reason logically.
"man is by nature reasonable"

as much as is appropriate or fair; moderate.
"a police officer may use reasonable force to gain entry"

(of a price or product) not too expensive.
"a restaurant serving excellent food at reasonable prices"

If you're asking me to simply make up scenarios then I could make up loads of both reasonable and unreasonable, depending on the job :shrug:

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Yes - that is exactly my take on it. In our case they are going to pay full salary, and what I'd be volunteering to do will take literally no more than 2 hours a week:

- Open my work e-mail every few days, and forward anything vaguely important, on to the boss, who will still be working. (Most would see an appropriate OOO response and redirect their query anyway I guess)
- Go to the office (it is one mile away) twice a week, to make a quick security check, and swap the back-up data tape on the server.

I'd be an ARSE to not offer to do that much.

The LEGAL aspect, of them taking the government money, and still allowing us to do such, is for the company to consider, and decide on.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

I’ve been furloughed since we closed 5.30 last Tuesday, I spent most of Wednesday having a clean up and getting some parts out for some of my customers.

I’ve been asked to check the building 2 or 3 times a week which I think is fine, I’ll just put in an expenses claim when we go back same as I do every 2 weeks anyway.

It’s quite nice to have a reason get out of the house to actually go and do something

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes - that is exactly my take on it. In our case they are going to pay full salary, and what I'd be volunteering to do will take literally no more than 2 hours a week:

- Open my work e-mail every few days, and forward anything vaguely important, on to the boss, who will still be working. (Most would see an appropriate OOO response and redirect their query anyway I guess)
- Go to the office (it is one mile away) twice a week, to make a quick security check, and swap the back-up data tape on the server.

I'd be an ARSE to not offer to do that much.

The LEGAL aspect, of them taking the government money, and still allowing us to do such, is for the company to consider, and decide on.

I’ve been furloughed since we closed 5.30 last Tuesday, I spent most of Wednesday having a clean up and getting some parts out for some of my customers.

I’ve been asked to check the building 2 or 3 times a week which I think is fine, I’ll just put in an expenses claim when we go back same as I do every 2 weeks anyway.

It’s quite nice to have a reason get out of the house to actually go and do something

This and this.

I'm aware if a number of similar situations across businesses big and small.

We are all in it together and I really think that refusing to put a little bit of effort into helping keep a company keep going when you are being paid at least 80% of your salary is pretty stupid and petty. When the company and job have gone under, I wonder if the penny will drop :facepalm:

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
reasonable
/ˈriːz(ə)nəb(ə)l/

adjective

having sound judgement; fair and sensible.
"no reasonable person could have objected"

based on good sense.
"it seems a reasonable enough request"
ARCHAIC
able to reason logically.
"man is by nature reasonable"

as much as is appropriate or fair; moderate.
"a police officer may use reasonable force to gain entry"

(of a price or product) not too expensive.
"a restaurant serving excellent food at reasonable prices"

If you're asking me to simply make up scenarios then I could make up loads of both reasonable and unreasonable, depending on the job :shrug:

You sound confused again :shrug:
Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
This and this.

I'm aware if a number of similar situations across businesses big and small.

We are all in it together and I really think that refusing to put a little bit of effort into helping keep a company keep going when you are being paid at least 80% of your salary is pretty stupid and petty. When the company and job have gone under, I wonder if the penny will drop :facepalm:

Why would you when people are getting paid 100%
Its no different to the mugs who work through their lunch breaks , company's lap it up, keep it real
Regards
DF

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just paid my furloughed staff and the gov.uk site states that all companies and businesses will, from December 2020, be shown on their website as to how much they are claiming.
This could be fun.
Not found it yet but will be searching many 'larger' shops who stayed open.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here