Furious with East Coast and Southern

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Where have you once shown common sense in this thread? It's you that reacts hysterically to anyone asking for common sense to be applied. "Sorry guv, rules is rules...security innit...banking rules (that I've just invented)...not my fault...your fault...cannot compute....computer says no....if I let you then everyone will do it....."

Maybe I know a little about what I'm talking about in this situation unlike the majority of responses here. I guess in your job you have to do what your boss tells you or what your companies policies are ? I expect when you're sitting on the check out in Tescos scanning things you'd love to tell that little old lady she doesn't have to pay don't you ? But same as me if you'd end up with the sack if you did.

bnfrnkln

all the lads...
Nov 2, 2009
the ministry of flair
Actually it was 30 cans between six of us and they were £2 each, so hardly excessive. Yes, unfortunately one of our party (who's old enough to know better) had an incident with the door which did delay the train. I sincerely apologise if any Albion fans were inconvenienced later in their journey, but I didn't think we were that late getting in to King's Cross.

ahh, £2 a can?! dream world. i'd have got a few if i'd known that. they'd have all been warm ones though i guess as you emptied the fridge!

Maybe I know a little about what I'm talking about in this situation unlike the majority of responses here. I guess in your job you have to do what your boss tells you or what your companies policies are ? I expect when you're sitting on the check out in Tescos scanning things you'd love to tell that little old lady she doesn't have to pay don't you ? But same as me if you'd end up with the sack if you did.

My job is responsible enough that I am employed to make judgements and on the rare occasions it is customer facing I tend to view the customer as the person who pays my wage and treat them accordingly. I'm clearly not the same as you, thankfully.

Exactly so the guards/conductors know exactly how many people try to dodge the correct fare and travel with restricted fares on peak time trains.
Thank you at last for admitting that I'm right.

That's not what I said. The guard checks the tickets..I've yet to get the 6.50 am to Victoria and see the guard find someone whois blagging it with a £3 supersaver apex anytime crosshatch billy big bollocks super uber discount £3 value ticket on that train.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think I might start asking ticket inspectors for proper and recognised photograph ID before I properly engage with them in the future. They could be a just be a krank punter with a uniform fetish and a lust for power for all I know?

No ID no ticket!

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
This thread is a good example of what happens when rail employees and their families are given free first class rail travel for life.

They simply don't have a clue what it's like to have to go through the rigmarole and red tape of buying tickets.

It's the randomness of the ticketing system that drives people mad.

Every couple of months, I make a return journey from Glynde to Coventry, via London Bridge and Euston. To get to Coventry in time for my meeting, I catch the 0735 from Glynde and the 0943 Virgin service from Euston.

I have a Railcard.

I travel on a Tuesday.

If I buy on-line from Southern, I am sold an off-peak day return ticket, with Railcard discount, for the full return journey, at a price of £42.30.

If I buy the Glynde - London Bridge and Euston - Coventry legs separately, I am charged a total of £67.80, made up as follows:-
Glynde - London Bridge: £25.10 single
Euston - Coventry: £28.80 return
London Bridge - Glynde: £13.95 single

Of course, for the extra £25.50, I would also have to pay a bit more to get from London Bridge to Euston and back. But I have an Oyster Card for that bit.

Can anyone give me a logical explanation of why there is such a difference in pricing?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can anyone give me a logical explanation of why there is such a difference in pricing?

there probably isnt, however its not unique to train tickets. for example, if i purchase an HP server complete with XYZ specs it will cost less than if i buy the base server then order the extra spec parts seperatly. with the trains, i imagine there is inter-operator rates that apply that reduce the total cost. also note you're buying singles to and from London, always more expensive (why aren't you buying a return to London???)

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
On the way back from Leicester I jumped on what I thought was the train I had booked. Turned out I got on the 5.20 and should have got on the 5.40. Even though the train was empty and I was hardly taking anyones seat, I was still given a £60 fine. Went to appeal it with Ircas and the Nazi from Great Eastern hadn't put a reason on there so I couldn't appeal it. Wrote to Ircas who told me it was past 14 days now, and by the way, its now £100.

with the trains, i imagine there is inter-operator rates that apply that reduce the total cost. also note you're buying singles to and from London, always more expensive (why aren't you buying a return to London???)
At 0735, they won't sell me an off-peak day return (with railcard discount) from Glynde to London. But they will give me the off-peak day return (with railcard discount) if I travel to Coventry.

The only return ticket I can use for a journey to London at 0735 is the Anytime Day Return (with no railcard discount). It costs £46.70. A return ticket to Coventry costs me £42.30, which is £4.50 cheaper.

If I only buy tickets to London, and want to travel at 0735, two singles are cheaper (£39.05) than the return ticket (£46.70).

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Just phoned East Coast, said basically whats been covered on this topic. Nice guy said i should send all my tickets to their offices (based in Plymouth, nowhere near the "East Coast" !!!) and they will investigate with the possibility they may refund the £20, but its unlikely. The guy was very apologetic though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This thread is a good example of what happens when rail employees and their families are given free first class rail travel for life.

They simply don't have a clue what it's like to have to go through the rigmarole and red tape of buying tickets.

What a CAUC you are, only those that deserve it get 1st class not all riff raff

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In the old days under British Railways, you bought a ticket which got you onto any train within the duration of the ticket - one day or three months - none of the restrictions nonsense like this.

Mind you they were usually on strike - ASLEF was the reason for several days off school then.

I'm steering clear of the argument about why matchday travel from Glynde to Falmer and back is more expensive if I use the Club's Travel Vouchers than if I just buy train tickets, without the Club's "discount".

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In the old days under British Railways, you bought a ticket which got you onto any train within the duration of the ticket - one day or three months - none of the restrictions nonsense like this.

Mind you they were usually on strike - ASLEF was the reason for several days off school then.

Indeed but there were no cheaper tickets for buying in advance either

The ironic thing about my trips to Coventry is that they are to attend meetings of a government funded agency which is trying to promote training courses to improve the marketing skills of passenger transport operators (including the railways).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports