Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funniest or strangest incident you have seen watching football.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
George Parris goal for sure.

Sitting in the South Stand behind Laurie Sanchez at a JPT Trophy game at Withdean, he had a long coat/mac on. A group of Brighton fans were chanting "Dirty Old Man, Dirty Old Man" behind him (with humour, not malice). After a few choruses he cottoned on and gave us a nod and a grin.

Can't rememeber where, possibly away at Yeovil, during an attach one of their players called out "Handball" in a really high pitched squeeky voice, for the rest of the game any time he got near the ball we all squeeked in unison "Handball".

Two incidents spring to mind,

1. Post Man city match in league cup, the pitch invasion with Brighton fans all over the pitch and someone on a motorised wheelchair going on
2. Stewards ejecting a person from either G or H block at Withdean and, in trying to eject him pulling off his false leg.

Edit make three with the George Parris goal V Bristol City, cant work out how to link videos into the post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpvCB2ZZzhk

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I remember Michel Kuipers playing against Eastbourne Borough at a typically windy Priory Lane. He booted the ball downfield with a drop kick, and had to catch it again as the gales forced it back towards his goal.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I remember Michel Kuipers playing against Eastbourne Borough at a typically windy Priory Lane. He booted the ball downfield with a drop kick, and had to catch it again as the gales forced it back towards his goal.

Should have been an indirect FK against him then.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I've conceeded a corner there from a goal kick. No matter what happened, the ball would just get caught in the wind and sail over the top of the far stand. Incredible that some games go ahead at that ground!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
4) Again many moons ago...there used to be a chap carry this large board, displaying the winning draw numbers, round the edge of the pitch at the Goldstone. One particularly windy day, he was fighting desperately with it all the way round to the East Terrace. A mighty gust then caught him and he and the board disappeared head first over the wall and into the crowd.

'PUT THAT BOARD DOWN'! A shout that carried on into the Withdean years, even though it wasn't getting in anyone's way...

How about Gotsmanov celebrating before he scored?

One of the funniest incidents I saw was when Lewes played away at Stoke in the FA Cup. Lewes had a free kick on the edge of the area and had obviously developed a complex training ground routine where two players feigned to take the kick but jumped over the ball, leaving the third to take it. But on this occasion all three players jumped over the ball... leaving it still on its spot and the ref pointing out that someone needed to actually kick it (you had to be there, really - but it was v funny at the time, honest).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Two incidents spring to mind,

1. Post Man city match in league cup, the pitch invasion with Brighton fans all over the pitch and someone on a motorised wheelchair going on
2. Stewards ejecting a person from either G or H block at Withdean and, in trying to eject him pulling off his false leg.

Another vote for both of these :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
tangiers vs agadir 1984 ...stoned as a twatt ...tangiers equalised 20 minutes to go , floodlight failure , full on riot , tear gas ,rubber bullets , the lot....when the lights came back on there were at least 50 blokes up the light pylon ...the coppers just stood there unloading their rubbers in an upward direction......utter chaos never experienced anywhere else...apart from mexico and the odd rave.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
That ballboy was me and NO - I didn't get sacked . The the north stand did sing "sign him up" and "ballboy give us a wave" for a few weeks afterwards and everytime I ran across the pitch at half time

Keith cuss came round and said " don't do it again" ....pretty sure I wasn't going to !!!!!!!

Dave Beasant called me a stupid little c***

Bit harsh... Keith Cuss had previous:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?157875-Keith-Cuss-Man-City

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
1) Kit Napier v Chesterfield....many moons ago....huge scramble in goalmouth, umpteen players having kicks at it...eventually play breaks up....keeper puts ball down, assuming ref has blown for a free-kick....retires to the back of his net to get enough of a run-up...Napier casually runs forward and taps ball into empty net...cue bedlam...keeper racing after ref who has signalled a goal...whole ground laughing...goal stood....BHA win 2-1.
2) Keith Cuss back header into the crowd....well documented.
3) Brooker / Zamora free kick at Reading...home side totally unprepared for quickly taken kick....hilarious...BHA win 2-1.
4) Again many moons ago...there used to be a chap carry this large board, displaying the winning draw numbers, round the edge of the pitch at the Goldstone. One particularly windy day, he was fighting desperately with it all the way round to the East Terrace. A mighty gust then caught him and he and the board disappeared head first over the wall and into the crowd.
5) Circa 1972...big promotion game at Bournemouth ( Bond/Macdougall/Boyer etc ) At top of away terrace was a raised scoreboard box...the man inside kept baiting the BHA fans below...then the crowd started throwing tomatoes at him...getting a bit cocky and confident he was holding court outside the box telling the BHA fans what poor shots they were...tempting fate...the next small red thing hit him straight between the eyes...red mist descended and he ran down the steps and threw himself into the crowd. Big mistake. By the time the police reached him, he had taken a right pasting. Needless to say, there was loud cheering as he was carried out.

Wait. Where did the tomatoes come from??

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
1) Kit Napier v Chesterfield....many moons ago....huge scramble in goalmouth, umpteen players having kicks at it...eventually play breaks up....keeper puts ball down, assuming ref has blown for a free-kick....retires to the back of his net to get enough of a run-up...Napier casually runs forward and taps ball into empty net...cue bedlam...keeper racing after ref who has signalled a goal...whole ground laughing...goal stood....BHA win 2-1.
2) Keith Cuss back header into the crowd....well documented.
3) Brooker / Zamora free kick at Reading...home side totally unprepared for quickly taken kick....hilarious...BHA win 2-1.
5) Circa 1972...big promotion game at Bournemouth ( Bond/Macdougall/Boyer etc ) At top of away terrace was a raised scoreboard box...the man inside kept baiting the BHA fans below...then the crowd started throwing tomatoes at him...getting a bit cocky and confident he was holding court outside the box telling the BHA fans what poor shots they were...tempting fate...the next small red thing hit him straight between the eyes...red mist descended and he ran down the steps and threw himself into the crowd. Big mistake. By the time the police reached him, he had taken a right pasting. Needless to say, there was loud cheering as he was carried out.

Hey your number 1 was an incident I recall very well. Thought it was Burnley, but its not important. Their goalkeeper was Alan Stephenson and the goal was scored infront of the south stand. Took my dad and others a minute to work it out but yes it was a goal and Kit Napier the scorer.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

arich264

A rich *******
Yes I was also in the South Stand that day and it was Stephenson of Burnley. It was a very funny incident just as you describe although my first reaction and I am sure many others who were watching was that the ref was going to book Napier for kicking the ball away. When he gave the goal all hell broke loose which made it even funnier.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I thought he was sacked after that incident in which case he didn't have previous.
That ballboy was me and NO - I didn't get sacked . The the north stand did sing "sign him up" and "ballboy give us a wave" for a few weeks afterwards and everytime I ran across the pitch at half time

Keith cuss came round and said " don't do it again" ....pretty sure I wasn't going to !!!!!!!

Dave Beasant called me a stupid little c***
You are a true Goldstone legend mate!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I remember a game at Withdean when the ball ran out for a throw right by the linesman's feet. He was standing fully ten yards from the goal line but to our disbelief, instead of signaling for a throw on, gave a goal kick instead. [emoji2]

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hey your number 1 was an incident I recall very well. Thought it was Burnley, but its not important. Their goalkeeper was Alan Stephenson and the goal was scored infront of the south stand. Took my dad and others a minute to work it out but yes it was a goal and Kit Napier the scorer.

Definitely Chesterfield which added to the occasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here