Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Funniest **likely** footballing story this season?

Which would be the funniest/most pleasing outcome?

• Portsmouth failing to make the play-offs, never mind promotion

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • Sheffield Wednesday being relegated

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • Wayne Rooney's Derby going down

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • Celtic winning nothing, never mind 10 in a row

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Liverpool finishing outside the top 4 and winning nothing

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • Swindon Town going down to league 2

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Reading blowing a good position and failing to make the playoffs

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This thread is a bit like having a selection trolley of delicious looking cakes wheeled in front of you ... how to choose?

I went for Pompey on the basis that it's more delicious to see someone's dreams crushed than it is see someone's worst fears realised

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I remember going to Southend and in the pub pre match and whilst mildy amusing the topic of us having no ground and going out of the football league was huge entertainment for the Southend fans , also I was actually envious of their ground at the time .

So Southend what goes around and all that , Cheerio.
I nearly included them in the poll but didn't think enough would care. An excellent shout there anyway.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In terms of being funny it would have to be Derby getting relegated. To think that Wayne Rooney would ever make a good manager is a joke in itself, and to watch this situation play out is brilliant, especially for a delusional club like Derby.

However, what would give me most pleasure is to see Massive get relegated. To try and circumvent the FFP rules by the owner selling the ground to himself is poor form and relegation would be a fitting outcome. I still carry the mental scar of that play-off defeat in 2016 too, so to be 2 divisions above them at the start of next season would be very nice indeed.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
It may come as a surprise to you but a lot of Albion fans have Celtic as their Scottish team, so Téigh trasna ort féin!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It may come as a surprise to you but a lot of Albion fans have Celtic as their Scottish team, so Téigh trasna ort féin!
I hate them. But don't worry, I hate Rangers too. Whenever either of them come unstuck, it's something to be celebrated. Well, for most SANE people anyway.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've gone with Liverpool because I suspect none of the "Stupid Six" will receive any punishment at all, and this is the closest we'll get.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Mine is Cowdenbeath because I like steak (medium well).

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
For me, it's Wednesday's relegation because it really adds to the number of teams in League 1 who are largely trapped. So many clubs desperate to get out of that league and Wednesday, hopefully, will find themselves in the Ipswich kind of position. Absolutely nowhere.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I hate them. But don't worry, I hate Rangers too. Whenever either of them come unstuck, it's something to be celebrated. Well, for most SANE people anyway.

On the contrary, I would argue that most "SANE" people wouldn't bother celebrating the misfortune of a club which Albion are never likely to cross paths with...

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Liverpool for me. Reading a close second but there'll be some enjoyment in seeing the reaction from people that suddenly emerged this time last season as "lifelong" Liverpool fans.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Liverpool for me. Reading a close second but there'll be some enjoyment in seeing the reaction from people that suddenly emerged this time last season as "lifelong" Liverpool fans.

Yup. Plus the 'closet' Liverpool fans on here who grew up supporting Liverpool in the 1980s and get very touchy about any criticism of the club or their shambolic title defence.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
On the contrary, I would argue that most "SANE" people wouldn't bother celebrating the misfortune of a club which Albion are never likely to cross paths with...

Think you're missing part of the fun of being a football fan?!

We're also very unlikely to be playing Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus etc anytime soon but I promise I will be celebrating any misfortune that comes their way!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well you're wrong.

Hearing what a marvellous accomplishment it is for say Liverpool to keep winning domestic cups and a league of 12 clubs, half of whom are no bigger than Southend or Barrow, over and over again, would get on people's tits. And the same here, especially when Celtic spend most of those 9 years getting dumped out of the Champions League in the group stages. That really should have highlighted what level of accomplishment had really been achieved domestically.

Tired of hearing about those two grim Scottish clubs. A stain on the sport and always pleasing to see them f**k it up.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
I've not quite got over Micheal Keane celebrating for Grimsby about us going down in 2003. Them getting relegated out the league will fill me with much amusement.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This was a really tough decision. Normally I'd go all-in on seeing Pompey fail, but they do it every season so it's less of a novelty these days. Also, I've always disliked Liverpool, so seeing them fail to make Europe would be fantastic. I don't think that's my number one though, partly because their misfortune provided my favourite Albion moment of the season.

In the end it was a toss up between Wednesday and Derby. I've plumped for Derby because I think it's a bigger fall for them after flirting with the play-offs every season for about 10 years. The Rooney factor adds to the comedy too.

Sunderland losing in the play-off final again would also be TOP DRAWER.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here