Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funeral costs

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Don't forget if funds are frozen in a bank or b/s you can send the funeral expenses direct to them to pay.

Try and get a few copies of the death certificate. Everyone will seem to want one (banks etc). Sorry for your loss fella

Exactly this, I think I got about a dozen copies when my father died, and get them when you register the death. All the banks, Building Societies, Insurance Companies, Pension Providers, Mortgage provider, Council etc will want one.
My mum and I did visit a few funeral directors one morning but I wouldn't recommend the one we eventually used; my mum was happy with them, which was probably the most important thing.
Is there a will? If so find it as there will be executors to contact (if it's not you). My dad died intestate (ie no will) and being an only child I did the whole lot - all the probate, everything.

I'll try to post some more info on my experiences later.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Condolences on your sad loss.

When my mum died suddenly a couple of years ago, I was in a similar predicament and she did not have any money either. I found the Co-Op Funeral Service were very good and they allowed me to pay in installments too.

A burial is more expensive than cremation, but I guess that is down to personal preference.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Very sorry to hear about your loss.

2 things,entirely a matter of personal choice of course.

If your cremating, you can still get the ashes buried so you have a headstone to visit, really important on special days and something most people that scatter or use a plaque often regret they didn't do.

Have a wake. Once the funeral is over you will need a pint and it's the start of the rest of your families life without your dad, often the first time since the death that you have even thought beyond the funeral, do it with your friends and family around you, it helps you to move on.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Sorry to hear of your loss. When my father died, my step-mother was granted some kind of widow's allowance which paid for much (but not all) of the funeral expenses. There are various types of Monumental Inscription, at various prices. I chose gold lettering on black (granite?) and it looks as fresh today as it did 14 years ago, while others nearby have become very pale. As others have suggested, choose a funeral director (perhaps by recommendation) and they will guide you through everything and get many copies of the death cert for all the various banks and the rest of it.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Sorry to hear of your loss. I can endorse the reccomendations for Harty. He did my gran's funeral and was exceptional.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Once again thank you all for the kind words and recommendations. The final choice of undertaker will be my mothers. But I will certainly tell her how many are pleased with Ian Hart.

jamesy's

Mar 3, 2009
As you can see I dont normally write any post but if you need any help advise then Ian Hart funeral Service will be a very good choice. If you can't get Ian then ask to speak to Jane see will give you all the advise you will need. You can call them on 01903 235353

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
sorry for your loss
hope things go smoothly for you and your family

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Sending you my sincere sympathy Seagull Steve. Hope you get everything sorted with great ease mate.

Come July 30th, I shall be remembering my Mum and Sister who should be sitting next to me at the Amex. So it's at times like this when we remember that we're one big happy Albion family.

All the best to you and your family.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Sorry for your loss Seagull Steve.

I used Co-op for my Mum, Father-in-law and Mother-in-law and they were excellent each time, even to the point where they realise that monies to pay for the furneral aren't usually readily available as they are tied up in the deceased's estate. They didn't hassle for payment at all.

Would echo the comment about the coffin - if you are having a cremation, don't feel guilty about getting the cheaper option regarding the coffin.

Hope all goes well for you.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
You have all been so kind and helpful, my family and I are so grateful. We have contacted Ian Hart and are in discussion with him. Just the i's to dot and the t's to cross now. Thank you all.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Get an undertaker and he will give you various options on pricing and what he /she does for you. You will need to get probate to access his Bank account etc. This is the process that will drive you crazy and provide maximum aggro just when you don't need it.

Firstly, my thoughts are with you at this difficult time my friend. What you have done so far is correct, depending on your fathers financial arrangements, get as many copies of the certificate that you can. You'll find that you have to send copies not just to banks, insurance, DVLA, Passport Office but also to the utility companies changing the main account holder to your mum. In addition copies need to be sent to any companies he has direct debits with or credit facilities.

It's a very hard time but these thing need to be done as soon as you can. I know from experience as I have lost my mother and father.

Reading your original post, it looks like you may live in the Moulscoomb area, in terms of appointing a funeral director, Ian Hart is indeed very good but from a practical point of view, should you or your family wish to visit to say your final goodbyes, that will require a trip to Worthing. For both my parents, we used The Caring Lady Funeral Service in Lewes Road and the attention to everything was second to none. I believe the lady that owned the business sold the business apart from the parlour in Blatchington Road. She has left this to her daughter, Michelle Tanner who is now carrying on where her mum left off.

With regards to probate, if you visit the Probate office just off Edward Street, ask for a chap called Mick (sorry, don't want to give his full name out over this forum. Very good friend of mine and as a fellow Seagulls nut he will take you through the processes

Hope that helps my friend

Jimbo

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Firstly, my thoughts are with you at this difficult time my friend. What you have done so far is correct, depending on your fathers financial arrangements, get as many copies of the certificate that you can. You'll find that you have to send copies not just to banks, insurance, DVLA, Passport Office but also to the utility companies changing the main account holder to your mum. In addition copies need to be sent to any companies he has direct debits with or credit facilities.

It's a very hard time but these thing need to be done as soon as you can. I know from experience as I have lost my mother and father.

Reading your original post, it looks like you may live in the Moulscoomb area, in terms of appointing a funeral director, Ian Hart is indeed very good but from a practical point of view, should you or your family wish to visit to say your final goodbyes, that will require a trip to Worthing. For both my parents, we used The Caring Lady Funeral Service in Lewes Road and the attention to everything was second to none. I believe the lady that owned the business sold the business apart from the parlour in Blatchington Road. She has left this to her daughter, Michelle Tanner who is now carrying on where her mum left off.

With regards to probate, if you visit the Probate office just off Edward Street, ask for a chap called Mick (sorry, don't want to give his full name out over this forum. Very good friend of mine and as a fellow Seagulls nut he will take you through the processes

Hope that helps my friend

Jimbo

Thank you Jimbo, I have registered the death and got 10 copies of the certificate. I had no idea, but my Dad has made a will, so that makes things a tad easier. There is enough in his bank to cover the funeral, so that is a big relief especially to my Mother. I don't mind having to go to a chapel of rest in Worthing, as long as we can have the service and cremation in Brighton. But the caring lady is another option we considered. Thanks also for the contact at the probate office.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
You have all been so kind and helpful, my family and I are so grateful. We have contacted Ian Hart and are in discussion with him. Just the i's to dot and the t's to cross now. Thank you all.

Steve,
As i said in an early post Harty will do your DAD PROUD, He certainly did mine Matey :-(

Oct 10, 2009
Brighton BN1 6GD
My mum has just died...go to direct gov.co.uk ...what to do after a death...very helpful and clear. Get as many death certificates as you think you will need...cheaper to get them when you register than when you go back. Good luck...its hard and emotional stuff. Sarah

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here