Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Full national lockdown (not education) 4/11 - 1/12 possible

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I honestly think that better adherence to handwashing & compulsory wearing of masks would have helped.

There were too many people just ignoring mask wearing and too many people denying what was going on. People should have been recruited to do this and given the authority to enforce the rules.

Restarting university and getting students to move around in very large numbers only to do their courses on line was ridiculous. Personally opening pubs was also an issue with people drinking their guard drops.

Draconian , yes, but we are in a serious place. People saying this is just like Flu and it only kills the frail ( as if that is acceptable) really don't understand that many fit people who survived are no longer fit .

We should have focussed on what was truly salvable and moving the economy permanently to a different structure where online shopping, takeaways and working from home are the norm. Cut down some of the contact and you cut the chances of the disease and yes stay at home we have many more more distractions available to us at a click of a button than any previous generation.

And to be clear these restrictions are hurting me , not seeing the grandchildren who we were providing day care for is a massive wrench.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I still can’t get my head around Sussex moving straight into this Tier 4. We’ve not even had 1000 COVID attributed deaths since January despite what must be a higher than average number of OAPS.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I still can’t get my head around Sussex moving straight into this Tier 4. We’ve not even had 1000 COVID attributed deaths since January despite what must be a higher than average number of OAPS.

Yep, only 39 of today’s 278 (14%) announced deaths were in the south of England.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yep, only 39 of today’s 278 (14%) announced deaths were in the south of England.

It should always have been a more nationwide approach, the modern world is so transient, it has to be so. Also, south east england has above average (for England) R rate, higher than the north east and north/north west, why should they be excluded?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It should always have been a more nationwide approach, the modern world is so transient, it has to be so. Also, south east england has above average (for England) R rate, higher than the north east and north/north west, why should they be excluded?

R rate means absolutely nothing. Why would you lockdown areas that have very low rates of infections the same as those that have high rates? ???

For example London is still fairing quite well, with no massive spikes in cases like the NW. Why lockdown London just because Liverpool has become out of control?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
R rate means absolutely nothing. Why would you lockdown areas that have very low rates of infections the same as those that have high rates? ???

For example London is still fairing quite well, with no massive spikes in cases like the NW. Why lockdown London just because Liverpool has become out of control?

R rate is the rate of infection.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Completely get that in hindsight. Wasn't my intent though. I have 2 kids who no matter how much we try to shield them they hear this Christmas is cancelled nonsense. Even their teachers have told them so. One of them has spent time in hospital recently due to his mental state and now needs watching 24/7 as he is considered a potential danger to himself or others. They both get incredibly distressed at the Christmas is cancelled mantra. My post was typed out of frustration at that and I apologise if it came across badly. It wasn't my intent and didn't warrant the response it got no matter how on edge someone is.

Fair play to you - I think you should be able to have a magic Christmas, just there'll only be the 4 of you. You've nothing to apologise for, it's just an internet spat innit.

I've lost most of my family (at 49) and one of the upsides is that Xmas is just the two of us and last year was frankly superb! My beer at 3pm last year:-
XmasBeer.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here