Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Full national lockdown (not education) 4/11 - 1/12 possible

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Would you think like that if you worked in an NHS hospital do you think? How fecked up are the staff going to be dealing with overflowing Covid wards?

The actual issue in 12 months or so’s time won’t be in acute care, but actual more of a mental health issue, as those with near death experiences and coming to terms with loss of loved ones hit the system. Form of PTSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You may be right, but I definitely find that assessment hard to swallow. A line in that article suggested that some form of social distancing may have to be a thing for ‘decades’. I mean, I’m mid-thirties and I don’t know how long I’m going to live, but that’s almost tantamount to saying that my life as I knew it is over.

And that’s thoroughly depressing.

That's the most far fetched line in the whole thing. It assumes no herd immunity, no weakening of the virus and no technological improvements. It's also wrong in terms of human behaviour. We're social animals. People simply won't.

Thanks for calling it out because it reads like bollocks. But a five year plan seems to be realistic to me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Loaded question maybe but why are universities open? Can't everything (except partying and mass gathering) be done over video conference?

Libraries were more important when I was at uni but these days most things are online.

I don't remember doing much work at uni, it was pretty much one big party!

Because the economy needed the income from fees and all the halls and rental properties. I really can't think of any other reason to move loads of teenagers across the country, group them all up together, make them do the majority of their work online and then try and quarantine them in their properties. Can you :shrug:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Where is your evidence that a 2 week national break would have worked?

School half-terms were staggered all around this time, a load of claptrap.

Labour just repeated the advice from SAGE.

One would have thought they’d have had some sort of scientific evidence to base their recommendation on?

Probably not a load of claptrap as we draw close to seeing yet another government u-turn.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Where is your evidence that a 2 week national break would have worked?

School half-terms were staggered all around this time, a load of claptrap.

If only it would be possible to do something like compare deaths and cases in England versus those in Wales.

Oh, hang on.......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Labour just repeated the advice from SAGE.

One would have thought they’d have had some sort of scientific evidence to base their recommendation on?

Probably not a load of claptrap as we draw close to seeing yet another government u-turn.

They probably have, the trouble with the ‘advice’ SAGE, Public Health or otherwise, is that the there is rarely 100% agreement and a number of options are provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpy Tim

Probably not a popular post but a practical one.

We have a population in the UK almost 70 million.

Most people dying of COVID are 80 years plus.

If we had a million deaths would it really make a difference to our country/economy as opposed to lockdowns which are clearly ****ing the working lives and GDP of the UK, not to mention the effect it is taking our collective mental health?

Nor should it be a popular post. A good friend of mine is in her early 50's and had leukemia. If she doesn't catch Covid she has 20+ years left in her. If she does catch it she's in serious trouble. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people like this. You're suggesting we let them all die

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If only it would be possible to do something like compare deaths and cases in England versus those in Wales.

Oh, hang on.......

Those kindly Welsh folk seem better at following simple guidelines and adding a little common sense.

Our folks like to continue to party(in fancy dress sometimes), sod the rest and look for loopholes.

Hope that helps.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I can forgive any government, even the current one, for what is going on right now.

We know the damage that lockdowns can cause. The government have stated repeatedly that they didn't want to enact another one. But faced with models that see up to 4,000 people PER DAY dying in this second wave, I'm not sure they have a huge amount of choice.

For as many people saying "you should have gone harder earlier" there are others saying "this is too much, let us get back to living".

Other measures that allow more economic and social activity to continue have been attempted, but indications suggest they are not enough. Respiratory illness season hasn't even properly started yet and the current direction of travel is not taking us to a good place.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think I agree.

As for saving Christmas this really gets my goat. Are people so selfish that they can’t see the need that for just this year we have to compromise a little on Christmas. Being restricted to just six for Christmas lunch really isn’t that a big a hardship is it? A lot of families may actually benefit...

Yes...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Those kindly Welsh folk seem better at following simple guidelines and adding a little common sense.

Our folks like to continue to party(in fancy dress sometimes), sod the rest and look for loopholes.

Hope that helps.

So it definitely wouldn't be that the Welsh Parliament took a look at Sage advising a lockdown, recognised schools were already closing for a week and thought this would be a sensible time for a lockdown.

No, it's because people who live in Wales can follow rules and people who live in England can't :facepalm:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That should completely screw up my visit to the vet on Friday.

I couldn't care less about Xmas.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Nor should it be a popular post. A good friend of mine is in her early 50's and had leukemia. If she doesn't catch Covid she has 20+ years left in her. If she does catch it she's in serious trouble. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people like this. You're suggesting we let them all die

There is no simple answer here obviously but the average age of death in England is 82 and over 80% in critical care are overweight or obese. For me we need to wrap up in cotton wool the most vulnerable and let the rest get back to something closer to normality.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The information was "leaked" to The Times and the Fail last night.

Yesterday Raab was on TV telling everyone there was no way they would impose a national lockdown. So someone's chucked him under the bus.

No statement from the PM.

It's pretty bloody obvious that Cummings is in charge and is taking the piss.

I bet Shapps is sent out again tomorrow to deal with Sophy Ridge and Andrew Marr (with a metaphorical "kick me" post it on his back).
I'm struggling to think of any members of the Cabinet other than Sunak, who have not yet been thrown under the bus in the last year. They have all either lied to support each other ( Gove " I have driven as a way of testing my eyesight too...") or protect themselves ( Jenrick " I don't recall sitting next to a property developer then letting him off a £40m tax bill a few days later. ") ( Hancock, too many lies and deciets to mention)...... and sadly, they will ride this out as well.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There is no simple answer here obviously but the average age of death in England is 82 and over 80% in critical care are overweight or obese. For me we need to wrap up in cotton wool the most vulnerable and let the rest get back to something closer to normality.

I believe that if you add in the proviso 'without overwhelming the NHS' that is what we are all trying to do.

There has always been different advice for the vulnerable :shrug:

The real problem is that it's a very fine balancing act to achieve that. Whether we have a tightrope walker or a clown attempting to do that balancing act is another subject entirely.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The ‘Boris Saves Christmas’ narrative has been kicking about for a number of weeks, certainly in relation to Universities going 100% online with Students isolating before going home.

There will be a new 3 part slogan coming very soon to accompany this new lockdown from the pen of the machiavellian genius Cummings.

This is my guess:

Follow the rules - Protect the NHS - Save Christmas

il_300x300.2056931628_7f0p.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here