Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Full extent of NHS dentistry shortage revealed

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When I last lived in the UK I had a NHS dentist in the North Laine. He had a rather annoying habit of cancelling my appointments and the other noticable thing was that his mood directly correlated with the age of his numerous (always female) assistants....if they were young he was in a good and playful mood....old and he always moaned and told me off for not doing this that and the other regularly enough or correctly.

Was it within the North Laine, or on the parade of shops south and north of the old Gloucester night club?

There was a dentist there who also carried out emergency work, who was a perv.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There was a trick/obscure Q&A on R4 today .... when did the NHS end free dentistry?

The answer, 1951. It ended after just 3 years due to the cost.

Children under 18 still received free dentistry but school dentists were butchers.

I have got an NHS dentist as has my other half, but we have to keep up with the six monthly checkups to stay on the books.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a further sign of the success of the last 12 years of government, to encourage more of this Truss wants to cut tax asap, while Rishi will cut once inflation is under control. So we need to invest more in paying dentists more for NHS work but we can't afford to do that as the tax take by government will fall.

Still, what will we need teeth for when many in the 5th biggest economy in The World( allegedly the UK ) either can't afford food or to be able to cook it in 3 months time ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Children under 18 still received free dentistry but school dentists were butchers.

I have got an NHS dentist as has my other half, but we have to keep up with the six monthly checkups to stay on the books.

The NHS bloke based on Arundel Terrace who fitted braces, was particularly aggressive. He found fidgety kids irritating and made his feelings known by yanking heads back into position.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was it within the North Laine, or on the parade of shops south and north of the old Gloucester night club?

There was a dentist there who also carried out emergency work, who was a perv.

It was within North Laine...possibly Sydney Street?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This is the issue that needs addressing in the UK - cost of procedures. Living in Spain, a fairly civilised country, there is no Health Service dentistry service provided by the state. Everything is private, but the costs are very reasonable and they're is a wide choice of dentists, and dentists here have to qualify as a doctor first before studying dentistry. Even the expensive procedures, implants, crowns bridges etc are a fraction of UK prices, and believe it or not Australian prices. Now why I say this a friend of ours went back to Australia to live in April 2021. For the previous 11 years he had been living in Elvira (Marbella) and had a good local dentist. In Adelaide, SA, last year he had teeth problems that required a serious amount of work. The dentist there gave him an estimate...24,000$AUS!! He managed to obtain the x-rays and had the written estimate so contacted his old dentist in Elvira, sent the x-rays and estimate to him by email and received a costing back .....5,250e!! The work would take 3 weeks, implants etc., so he arranged flights, accommodation etc. and finished the treatments last week. One very happy and richer friend will be travelling back home next week with a big smile on his face.

Cheaper in Singapore and much better quality work and advice than ‘NHS’ or private dentistry in the UK.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's a further sign of the success of the last 12 years of government, to encourage more of this Truss wants to cut tax asap, while Rishi will cut once inflation is under control. So we need to invest more in paying dentists more for NHS work but we can't afford to do that as the tax take by government will fall.

Still, what will we need teeth for when many in the 5th biggest economy in The World( allegedly the UK ) either can't afford food or to be able to cook it in 3 months time ?

I have no idea whether we should be paying dentists more as I don’t know the terms of their contracts. Are there any poor dentists ?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So I am reliably informed by my local dentist.[/QUOTE

Hmm, what has he reliably informed you of, what I believe and have stated in my post, or that Spanish dentists have to qualify as medical doctors before studying dentistry?

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have no idea whether we should be paying dentists more as I don’t know the terms of their contracts. Are there any poor dentists ?

Many choose to only take kids as NHS patients in order to get them in to the habit of going but then getting them as private patients once they no longer qualify as NHS. I'm pretty sure it all comes down to money otherwise why refuse adult NHS patients ?
There was an item on the national news a few months back of a charitable mobile dentist service that stopped somewhere up North in the UK, they were swamped with people needing treatment, many said they had pulled some of their own teeth out as they could not afford a dentist.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
There was a trick/obscure Q&A on R4 today .... when did the NHS end free dentistry?

The answer, 1951. It ended after just 3 years due to the cost.

And Sir Tony Blair finally buried NHS dentistry in 2006. Another wonderful strand to his legacy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This is quite a damning report.

"Nine in 10 NHS dental practices across the UK are not accepting new adult patients for treatment under the health service"

"Eight in 10 NHS practices are not taking on children."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-62253893

Does this tally with people's experience?

Been paying private since former NHS dentist retired 10yeads ago. No choice. This report is not really news!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Cheaper in Singapore and much better quality work and advice than ‘NHS’ or private dentistry in the UK.

Yes, the world is much better outside the UK for everything in everyone’s experience. Why everyone wants to come and live here is puzzling

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Many choose to only take kids as NHS patients in order to get them in to the habit of going but then getting them as private patients once they no longer qualify as NHS. I'm pretty sure it all comes down to money otherwise why refuse adult NHS patients ?
There was an item on the national news a few months back of a charitable mobile dentist service that stopped somewhere up North in the UK, they were swamped with people needing treatment, many said they had pulled some of their own teeth out as they could not afford a dentist.

Presumably because they can earn more treating private patients. I’m just making the point that does not automatically mean the NHS should up it’s payments to compete. I agree with you that dentistry is a community service (hence the mobile charity service) so perhaps we should be insisting that dentists we allow to register in our communities are actually providing a community service.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Last time I went to the dentist it was a locum. Although he was just filling in, he knew the drill:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here