Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Full back Situation

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
I said in the transfer window we should have tried to sign a capable full back. In my mind Kyle Walter Peters would have been ideal as he can play right and left back.

Estupian is superb. Veltman does a pretty good job as he was primarily a central defender. Lamptey is good but injury prone.

Gross can do a job but is better in midfield. March has done a great job deputising for Estupian.
Milner is clearly not good enough and is presumably better as a closer in midfield.

The current injury crisis has brought matters to a head. Hopefully we will do something in the transfer window but I am not holding my breath!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Has there been any mention of how long lamptey will be out for?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Has there been any mention of how long lamptey will be out for?
This is the key one for me as Pervs is prob at least another month and Solly looks long term. Lamps did well at LB.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
RDZ said one month for pervis after the villa game.
Yeh I know but I’m not sure it won’t be more like 6 weeks tbh - hammy isn’t worth the risks. Would love to have him back next weekend but really can’t see it though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I said in the transfer window we should have tried to sign a capable full back. In my mind Kyle Walter Peters would have been ideal as he can play right and left back.

Estupian is superb. Veltman does a pretty good job as he was primarily a central defender. Lamptey is good but injury prone.

Gross can do a job but is better in midfield. March has done a great job deputising for Estupian.
Milner is clearly not good enough and is presumably better as a closer in midfield.

The current injury crisis has brought matters to a head. Hopefully we will do something in the transfer window but I am not holding my breath!

Some understatement, Veltman’s the best defensive FB I’ve seen for us in 48 seasons.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
If Dan Burn can play left back then Adam Webster perhaps could play right back. At least I'd hope the club try this in training. He's got more chance of getting a game there than at centre back at the moment. Might take some pressure off Veltman and Lamptey and help them fill in at left back. Maybe Samuels from U21s will get some games at left back.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Said it elsewhere, but we’ve really dropped the ball here. We got away with it last season as Pervis was bulletproof, but one injury to him and it’s derailed the lot. Lamptey we’re lucky if we get more than 3 games in a row out of him, Veltman is great but can’t do it on his own and then we’re into square pegs in round holes.

Milner feels like it was trying to fix the problem “on the cheap”, it’s coming back to bite us. Hard.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeh I know but I’m not sure it won’t be more like 6 weeks tbh - hammy isn’t worth the risks. Would love to have him back next weekend but really can’t see it though.
Impossible to guess accurately without knowing the grade and location of the tear, player‘s rate of healing etc. He won’t be risked until it’s basically 100%

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If Moder has returned to full fitness didn’t he play LWB a few times under Potter?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some understatement, Veltman’s the best defensive FB I’ve seen for us in 48 seasons.
You JCL, you.

1697910619118.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here