Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Full back positions

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So how do you see this shaping up for the rest of the season?

Are you in the “Veltman Right Back , Estupinan Left Back all game, every game” camp? Or do you think more rotation is advisable / likely?

What are your thoughts on Pascal and Webby filling in at right back?

Are you surprised Lamptey seems to be featuring more on the left side than the right?

My opinions. RDZ clearly likes Hinsh at right back, and I think even if everyone was fit, Hinsh would be starting every game. Veltman, presumably isn’t quite right and if that stays the case I can see Pascal Gross filling in there, meaning maybe more time for Moder. I just don’t think Veltman is RDZ’s automatic starter, which I guess he would be for most on here even when fit.

On the left, I also think the pecking order might be changing a bit. Estupinan played in Mitoma’s position yesterday and I can see this continuing, allowing Igor to show his calm authority when we need to defend and Tariq to show his attacking skills when we need a goal.

Barco will presumably be eased into the squad as well and will further complicate the picture.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
RB - Veltman and Hinshelwood rotated, which manages any injuries Veltman might have and we wouldn't an 18 year old starting every game.

LB - Lamptey or Estupinan based on form.
From what we know, Hinsh is injured for a while, possibly the rest of the season.

My guess with Veltman is that he could play, but it's a risk (like Olise!) to do so. RDZ decided he didn't need to yesterday so Pascal slotted in. But soon we'll have midweek games every week, so we'll have to have another option than just Veltman

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
RB - Veltman and Hinshelwood rotated, which manages any injuries Veltman might have and we wouldn't an 18 year old starting every game.

LB - Lamptey or Estupinan based on form.
Good point about Perves. If you put aside the two long range goals since he's been back he's not been quite on it. It's a shame because the partnership down that side with Mitoma can be superb.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From what we know, Hinsh is injured for a while, possibly the rest of the season.

My guess with Veltman is that he could play, but it's a risk (like Olise!) to do so. RDZ decided he didn't need to yesterday so Pascal slotted in. But soon we'll have midweek games every week, so we'll have to have another option than just Veltman

Thank God we haven't got the CP club doctor :lolol: . He must prop up the StarLizard doctors Excel worksheet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Estupinan should get his form back. Then I'd rather Lamptey on the right than Gross, who should only be there when needs must

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think it is horses for courses. Veltman didn't need to come in yesterday, and Gross must have been in the right back for about 30 seconds of the 25 minutes or so he was nominally played there.
In a different game when we need to defend, Veltman would have come on.
However, I can see the Flexi 3 or 4 at the back continuing, and think that means Veltman will be used from the bench with others playing on the right.
Can see a back 3 with Dunk JPVH and Igor becoming more regular over the coming weeks.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think it is horses for courses. Veltman didn't need to come in yesterday, and Gross must have been in the right back for about 30 seconds of the 25 minutes or so he was nominally played there.
In a different game when we need to defend, Veltman would have come on.
However, I can see the Flexi 3 or 4 at the back continuing, and think that means Veltman will be used from the bench with others playing on the right.
Can see a back 3 with Dunk JPVH and Igor becoming more regular over the coming weeks.
I think this is the thing. Yesterday, the second half was a odd situation, the game was over and we could just treat it as training. They offered next to no attacking threat and so it gives us few clues as to RDZ thinking or the injury situation with Veltman

In a big game, Gross at right back is a different matter. I remember he did a decent job against Rashford at Wembley last Spring at RB. But the trouble, is, you're losing a terrific midfielder.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Estupinan should get his form back. Then I'd rather Lamptey on the right than Gross, who should only be there when needs must
And Gross should definitely be ahead of Adam Webster on that list.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Interesting to see how Barco affects this, or will he just be rotated in with Mitoma and Adingra?

The idea of always being able to keep one of the 3 fresh is exciting.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And Gross should definitely be ahead of Adam Webster on that list.
I actually think Webby is a perfectly good 3rd or 4th choice CB. But at right back against a proper PL team, he'll be targeted. Similarly don't really want Milner lining up at full back either

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Interesting to see how Barco affects this, or will he just be rotated in with Mitoma and Adingra?

The idea of always being able to keep one of the 3 fresh is exciting.
And Pedro might feature out wide soon, similarly, Enciso, Facu, Tariq.

Options, options!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Certainly not so confident when we play 3 at back Prefer 4 with 2 FBs May have been an easy game on Sunday but Sheffield still looked dangerous when our CBs looked uncomfortable defending in wide areas and better sides would have made more of it. Felt Lampty was in no mans land He did little defending and not needed on left wing as Matoma dominated that area

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Veltman & Estupinan/Igor against stronger attacking teams
2 from lamptey/Estupinan/Barco/Gross against weaker teams

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I LOVE RDZ, am fully on board with everything, but let's be honest, we are weaker defensively than under Potter.

Don't get wrong, I wouldn't swap for the world as we're miles better attacking wise, but yeah it's the old short rug analogy a bit, isn't it?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I LOVE RDZ, am fully on board with everything, but let's be honest, we are weaker defensively than under Potter.

Don't get wrong, I wouldn't swap for the world as we're miles better attacking wise, but yeah it's the old short rug analogy a bit, isn't it?
Potter played with 5 across the back, whilst now that spare man is in attack - hence we score more, concede more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here