Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fulham vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
So you think that keeping the same team week in week out wevwill finish the season above Wolves, Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham?
Our best first team on its day is top 6, but that team needs to play 90% of the season together.

Without Mitoma, March, Pedro and Billy G we are not. Top 10 at best, but Capable of upsetting the big teams.
Don't play Gross, Enciso, Wellbeck etc midweek in the cup and we look better already today.
Maybe play less expensive and be a bit more defensively solid when we know we lack cutting edge up front.
Even when we had a full fit squad at the start of the season De Zerbi was chopping and changing constantly. I am not convinced it is because of injuries he keeps changing things.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
So you think that keeping the same team week in week out wevwill finish the season above Wolves, Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham?
Our best first team on its day is top 6, but that team needs to play 90% of the season together.

Without Mitoma, March, Pedro and Billy G we are not. Top 10 at best, but Capable of upsetting the big teams.
Not playing the same team week in week out but at least keep some resemblances of the same team maybe start with the keeper

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree. No problem with the selection today if it means a stronger side on Thursday. The injuries have pretty much killed our chances of finishing top 7 this season (Pedro and now Mitoma recently nailing that just as we were looking a bit more able to compete) so putting all the eggs in the EL basket now makes sense given there’s no threat of relegation.

Still not happy with some of RdeZ’s tactical thinking (or seeming lack of thinking) but can see the logic in selection and targeting the EL now.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Agree. No problem with the selection today if it means a stronger side on Thursday. The injuries have pretty much killed our chances of finishing top 7 this season (Pedro and now Mitoma recently nailing that just as we were looking a bit more able to compete) so putting all the eggs in the EL basket now makes sense given there’s no threat of relegation.

Still not happy with some of RdeZ’s tactical thinking (or seeming lack of thinking) but can see the logic in selection and targeting the EL now.
Prioritizing the Europa league is so shortsighted. It also seemly goes against the whole ethos of the club in that it plans for the long term and the future and not quick thrills here and now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Prioritizing the Europa league is so shortsighted. It also seemly goes against the whole ethos of the club in that it plans for the long term and the future and not quick thrills here and now.
Not how I see it. The PL this season is essentially gone in terms of top 6/7 with the limitations on the squad. Not going after it to focus on another competition for 3 months has NO impact on the long term plan or future.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Not how I see it. The PL this season is essentially gone in terms of top 6/7 with the limitations on the squad. Not going after it to focus on another competition for 3 months has NO impact on the long term plan or future.
This.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Squad rotation is one thing but with seven changes to the starting XI for a league match, it does feel like RDZ is rotating the shit out of this squad.
:shrug:

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
In terms of today and Craven Cottage.

Why the hell is that new stand still mostly empty? And very strange they didn’t add any corporate boxes into the design? It just looks a little shite.
It's not finished, partly due to the cost of building it breaking the builders:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
IMO

I don't think anyone has a problem with possession football but it has to be a tool to win games and/or not loose games when you are winning , we tend to use it because that's all we can do.

Yes its some of the best football BHAFC has played but sometimes 10 men behind the ball would be good and sometimes a punt up field would be nice giving us some smash and grab wins ...yes ugly football but some wins would be good.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
IMO

I don't think anyone has a problem with possession football but it has to be a tool to win games and/or not loose games when you are winning , we tend to use it because that's all we can do.

Yes its some of the best football BHAFC has played but sometimes 10 men behind the ball would be good and sometimes a punt up field would be nice giving us some smash and grab wins ...yes ugly football but some wins would be good.
Or maybe, when we lack firepower in offense due to injuries keeping the ball but being more cautious with it may yield better results.
It might be less exciting but might lead to 0-0 rather than losing by three. It would be the possession soccer version of parking the bus. (I am not suggesting this as a tactic to use all the time).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Know they dropped one by not replacing Caceido or McCallister
This is the crux of the problem we have had to make do with last seasons third choice midfielder. Wee Billy is a good player although what happens when he gets injured or suspended. Whilst Bloom & Barber walk on water for some it was a bit of a blunder not buying or even loaning some quality in January.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
It's not finished, partly due to the cost of building it breaking the builders:

This. There are corporate boxes above the lower level. And tickets in the upper bit cost £100+ with hospitality😪. At the moment, the behind the stands bits aren't finished and the only access is from the Hammersmith end. When it's all done there'll be access from both ends and there'll also be a riverside walkway, bars, restaurants, a hotel and gym and all that shit for the well heeled locals open apart from matchdays.

By the way, @nsclurker , are you a 'Fulham Fallout'?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Or maybe, when we lack firepower in offense due to injuries keeping the ball but being more cautious with it may yield better results.
It might be less exciting but might lead to 0-0 rather than losing by three. It would be the possession soccer version of parking the bus. (I am not suggesting this as

Firepower is no good if you don't get the ball forward quick enough and the defence has had time to form up....our possession should be good at grinding out results but it has not worked, 70% possession but 3 goals conceded (it could have been six) and no goals though when worked it quicker we got in some good goal scoring positions. Ferguson should have scored at 2-0 and it's then game on.
a tactic to use all the time).

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Firepower is no good if you don't get the ball forward quick enough and the defence has had time to form up....our possession should be good at grinding out results but it has not worked, 70% possession but 3 goals conceded (it could have been six) and no goals though when worked it quicker we got in some good goal scoring positions. Ferguson should have scored at 2-0 and it's then game on.
Well, exactly. We should know this and adapt accordingly. Stop being so overly attacking and set up so we don't conceed on breaks and are less risky with our passing. Boring I know, but on a day when we were never going to get the ball forward fast enough why still play like that!?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
IMO

Yep

I watch us at the moment and I watch the sheer amount of concentration, skill , effort it takes to create a crap half chance,300 passes back , forward , sideways for adingra to cross the ball out of play. Then I watch the other team hoof it up and have a one on one. No wonder all the players are injured , it must be bloody exhausting and not to mention demoralising at times.

Pete Skinner

Jan 27, 2024
Prioritizing the Europa league is so shortsighted. It also seemly goes against the whole ethos of the club in that it plans for the long term and the future and not quick thrills here and
What’s the basis for that? So little PL experience through many of the players, many still under 21. This squad is no where near the top 8 in terms of squad value or wages. If this squad is capable of top 6/7, then so are 11 or 12 other teams too.
Two months ago I’d have agreed that we’re capable of Top 6, now I’d be happy to finish above Palace. Though if we’d taken our chances when it was 2-0 I think we’d have gone on to win .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here