Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From The Telegraph.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The Times report not too bad either:

Last year Stevenage, this year Brighton. Newcastle’s FA Cup record under Alan Pardew shows little sign of improvement. That Newcastle should have put this tie to bed long before a deflected strike from childhood Newcastle fan Will Buckley drilled Brighton into the fifth round is scant consolation for a club who have failed to collect a major trophy since winning the Fairs Cup in 1969.

“They scored with their only shot,” lamented Pardew. “I can’t fault the players’ attitude and commitment but it’s galling to come here and lose. We leave scratching our heads and wondering how we haven’t won.”

Let nobody doubt that Newcastle took this game and competition seriously. Papiss Demba Cisse and Demba Ba are still at the Africa Cup of Nations with Senegal but only Fabricio Coloccini’s tender groin prevented Pardew from naming the same starting XI who crashed at Fulham last week.

After that performance, the Newcastle players took what Pardew described as “a breather” in Tenerife. The theory was that they would return refreshed to remove Brighton from the FA Cup for the first time since 1930. In practice, against the backdrop of a fervid atmosphere, Newcastle first stuttered, then enjoyed a period of hegemony and finally failed to respond to the winner.

They had their moments. They created the game’s first real chance when, in the 10th minute, Yohan Cabaye’s superlative through ball found Leon Best, who rolled his low shot wide. Then,in a flurry of incidents just after the restart, Peter Brezovan saved from Best with his feet, Danny Guthrie’s fierce goalbound follow-up was deflected to momentary safety and Cabaye blasted wide.

Brighton’s overriding goal remains to host Newcastle in next season’s Premier League. Yet, after clinging onto their league status in 1997, the subsequent years of peripatetic exile and occasional flirtations with extinction, the optimism that surrounds a reborn, upwardly mobile club with a shiny new ground glows brighter this morning. “Our best result here, but not our best performance,” said Brighton’s manager, Gus Poyet. “I’m not going to say we were the better team, but we were brave. They came at us from everywhere and you don’t get that in the Championship

Tough of tackle and imperious of distribution, Liam Bridcutt, squeezed out at Chelsea, held their midfield together with the air of a man destined for the Premier League. One glorious ball to Buckley found the winger skipping around Davide Santon’s typically tentative challenge and charging goalwards. Buckley lost possession but notice had been served.

Almost imperceptibly, Newcastle began to flex their muscles. Santon and Danny Simpson overlapped, offering desperately needed width. Gordon Greer sliced over his own bar after Simpson’s crafty cross had eluded the home defence but for all that their places are threatened by the returning Senegal players, neither Shola Ameobi nor Best will have caused Pardew much of a selection dilemma. “This was the right time to play Newcastle,“ said Poyet. “Ba is on fire right now. I like to see the best players when I watch television. But when it’s against me, I prefer them to be at home.”

Adam El-Abd claimed long, loudly and unsuccessfully that he had taken a Cabaye kick to the head while prostrate, but for all the hammer and tongs battling, neither defence yielded until a Newcastle attack broke down. The ball fell to Buckley in his own half. Half-hearted Newcastle challenges came and went until finally Buckley spun around Cabaye and, with the aid of a vicious deflection by Mike Williamson, who also scored an own goal at Stevenage last season, put Brighton through.

Newcastle made a triple substitution but their blunderbuss approach caused Brighton few problems, bar a penalty appeal when Lewis Dunk appeared to stop Cabaye’s drive with his hands. “We haven’t been given one of those all year,” sighed Pardew. Brighton might have sneaked a second but Ashley Barnes’ header was deflected over. One goal would do fine.

Brighton: Brezovan 7, Calderon 6, Greer 7, Dunk 7, El-Abd 6, Buckley 7, Bridcutt 7, Sparrow 6 (Navarro ht, 5), Forster-Caskey 6 (Harley 65min), Mackail-Smith 6, Barnes 6

Newcastle: Krul 6, Simpson 6, Williamson 5, Perch 5, Santon 5 (Ferguson 83min), Ben Arfa 7 (R Taylor 83min), Guthrie 6 (Gosling 83min), Cabaye 6, Gutierrez 6, Best 6, Ameobi 6

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Jonathan Liew - take a bow. I've just become a massive fan.

He'd written all of that about 5-10 minutes after the game had finished as well. Quite incredible, how they do that.

A true pro. I didn't even watch the game but to conjure up something like that......poetry. Then I read the Argus

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In fairness to the Guardian, that is not their main match report, which will appear tomorrow written by a guy called Dave Hytner, who does know what he is talking about and I will be very surprised if isn't excellent. He also did the Observer report today.

There were some big hitters there for the Monday papers too, so look forward to more stuff tomorrow including more from Buckley. John Cross in the Mirror, our own programme columnist Paul Jiggins from the Sun, Sami Mokbel in the Mail, Simon Yeend in the Express (Villa fan, but lives in Haywards Heath and knows his Albion).

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I listened to the radio and it they made it quite clear that we were on the defensive for most of the time, the midfield was crowded so many movements broke down, did anyone believe that when playing a Premiership side this style of play was the only way we would survive, we are not going to win the cup but our finances are boosted,Job done.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jonathan Liew - take a bow. I've just become a massive fan.

He'd written all of that about 5-10 minutes after the game had finished as well. Quite incredible, how they do that.

Liew captured the true nature, pulse & swings of the game for those who were there, in contrast to ITV's highlights no doubt edited by a Geordie.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I listened to the radio and it they made it quite clear that we were on the defensive for most of the time, the midfield was crowded so many movements broke down, did anyone believe that when playing a Premiership side this style of play was the only way we would survive, we are not going to win the cup but our finances are boosted,Job done.

And as the game wore on, we always carried a real threat.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Loved reading that article, but don't you find it funny how professional journalists can watch the same game and seemingly come away with completely opposite opinions? This bloke at the Guardian sounds like it would physically hurt him to say a nice word about us.
5.07pm: There are cheerleaders on the pitch while the stadium PA plays classical music. The FA Cup is nothing if not a slave to tradition.[/YOUTUBE] I believe that 'classical' music was Good Ol' Sussex by the Sea'....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here