Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From Spain... Carles Planas

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm surprised that no one has commented on this quote "Brighton are with a transfer budget of £5m euros and must sell to buy subsequen".

Am I reading it wrong, or is that suggesting we need to sell some of our players before we can buy?

I thought it meant we've got €5m to spend now but have to sell if we want to buy anymore.

Jimmy Grimble

I think it might be having to sell to buy after the €5m has been spent. I don't think that is vastly different to what we spent last season.

I thought it meant we've got €5m to spend now but have to sell if we want to buy anymore.

Ah, cheers.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The new title reinforces the point that he is concerned about training, tactics, and generally getting the best out of his players and not getting involved in recruitment (other than telling Burke what he wanted and probably some suggested names). At least that's what I thought then

I think that's just his job title as 'Head Coach'. If he had exactly the same duties as a 'manager' then Gus' lawyers could claim that he's effectively a manager and not a head coach. I'd imagine Oscar is doing a little more than his job description entails though. Of course once the whole Poyet saga is finished, Oscar should be named manager.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think that's just his job title as 'Head Coach'. If he had exactly the same duties as a 'manager' then Gus' lawyers could claim that he's effectively a manager and not a head coach. I'd imagine Oscar is doing a little more than his job description entails though. Of course once the whole Poyet saga is finished, Oscar should be named manager.

Dressing up the same job with a different title and slightly different responsibilities wouldn't stand a chance in court. The club have either decided that they are rock solid in terms of winning an appeal and subsequent action or are simply prepared to pay the price at the time in order to get up and running for this coming season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps it is the clubs genuine wish to move forward like most European teams and dispense with a manager and have a coach decide on selection and tactics and everything else be the responsibility of another person/s

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
That's what Oscar had at his last place

Maybe. But i can't imagine it would be his preference. If you were Oscar negotiating your contract would you be happy just to do coaching and tactics with whatever players David Burke decided you were going to have. I doubt it and I, for one, would much rather have him involved in as many aspects of recruitment as possible.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I assume it would be too much to ask for everyone to agree to give any new Spanish youngsters at least 15-20 games before we decide they are shit? What with them coming to a completely new country and a totally new style of footballs and everything. I thought so.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
All very well.
However, that transfer budget equates to a about £4.2m. So how much are we likely to raise in sales? Hopefully Liam won't be going, so a couple of million possibly?
Lets say £6m. That will include wages and agents fees (Usually anyway). So we may have £4m to spend. For a club that finished 4th, does that sound enough to push into the play offs next season?
I understand that any figures are worthless and only a very few people at the club have any idea of budget but that seems very low to me.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
All very well.
However, that transfer budget equates to a about £4.2m. So how much are we likely to raise in sales? Hopefully Liam won't be going, so a couple of million possibly?
Lets say £6m. That will include wages and agents fees (Usually anyway). So we may have £4m to spend. For a club that finished 4th, does that sound enough to push into the play offs next season?
I understand that any figures are worthless and only a very few people at the club have any idea of budget but that seems very low to me.

We got into the play offs last season with pretty much the same team.

Why on Earth are people talking about play offs? Automatic, people!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Maybe. But i can't imagine it would be his preference. If you were Oscar negotiating your contract would you be happy just to do coaching and tactics with whatever players David Burke decided you were going to have. I doubt it and I, for one, would much rather have him involved in as many aspects of recruitment as possible.

Well I'm pretty certain that Oscar must be happy with the way it's run otherwise he wouldn't have taken the job in the first place.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
All very well.

Yes but we are only adding to the bulk of a team that finished 4th last season. Was ths only transfer paid last year ulloa, I suspect most will be frees or loans.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I assume it would be too much to ask for everyone to agree to give any new Spanish youngsters at least 15-20 games before we decide they are shit? What with them coming to a completely new country and a totally new style of footballs and everything.

Is the official football league BALL really that different to the ones they use in Spain?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Other places had said 10M budget so maybe £4.2M for transfer fees and the rest to cover agents and wages etc.

I think 4.2M (+ whatever raised from sales) has to be more than spent other seasons? CMS raising to 2.5, Buckley 1, Ulloa 2.5euros so what 2M? Most of the rest were free or under half mil....... and that's over 2 full seasons

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Given that the club would never disclose the budget for transfers etc. I assume the 5 million euro is a guesstimate.

However, that seems higher than I though would be the case. I am trying to work out how much was spent last year, which was before FFP and we made a £10 million loss. (I admit that not all the £10m was transfers but still.)

Leo Ulloa - £2million?
Orlandi - free?
Dobbie - 300k
Bruno - free
Kusczack - free
David Lopez - free

Sure I have missed someone.
Perhaps we spent more of the budget on wages last year, Include the loans of Upson, Bridge and Hammond.

Still seems like a large budget considering we would only need 2 or 3 players to achieve similar as last year.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given that the club would never disclose the budget for transfers etc. I assume the 5 million euro is a guesstimate.

However, that seems higher than I though would be the case. I am trying to work out how much was spent last year, which was before FFP and we made a £10 million loss. (I admit that not all the £10m was transfers but still.)

Leo Ulloa - £2million?
Orlandi - free?
Dobbie - 300k
Bruno - free
Kusczack - free
David Lopez - free

Sure I have missed someone.
Perhaps we spent more of the budget on wages last year, Include the loans of Upson, Bridge and Hammond.

Still seems like a large budget considering we would only need 2 or 3 players to achieve similar as last year.

Orlandi was £300k

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I take the comment about the 5 million euro as a pinch of salt as none of us has a clue what our budget is for this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here