Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From BBC: Trio Close to New Deals!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Muzza, Bridcutt and Dicker

BBC Sport - Football - Brighton & Hove Albion trio close to new deals

Brighton manager Gus Poyet says midfielders Liam Bridcutt and Gary Dicker and striker Glenn Murray are all close to agreeing new deals.

The trio are among 13 Albion players whose current contracts are due to expire at the end of the season.

Poyet told BBC Sussex: "We know where we want to go with them.

"Those three have been playing all the time and helping the team to where it is. We'll have individual situations resolved in the next few weeks."

Bridcutt, 21, joined the Seagulls at the beginning of the season after being released by Chelsea, while Dicker, 24, made the move from Stockport in the summer of 2009.

Former Carlisle and Rochdale man Murray, 27, has hit 17 goals in 39 games for Albion this season.

"Glenn is an easy case because he is a striker who has scored 17 goals and is free in three months time," said Poyet.

"It's putting pressure on the club. The club know that and has been dealing with that. At the same time, he is in a great position for his future.

"Players who are finishing their contracts are free now and they could have other options.

"I don't forget that. The players may say they are not in a hurry. It depends on your character as well. If it was me, I wouldn't sign."

Brighton currently sit top of League One, four points clear of second-placed Bournemouth with two games in hand.

"There are two options. We collapse or we go up," added Poyet.

"You need to be very smart about it. People think if they are good enough they should sign contracts.

"It's not easy. We'll try to manage it individually so the players know where they stand."

Ees Complicated!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
These three are definitely ones we need to get signed up, as they are crucial parts of the side. Bridcutt is just getting better and better for me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Players who are finishing their contracts are free now and they could have other options. I don't forget that. The players may say they are not in a hurry. It depends on your character as well. If it was me, I wouldn't sign."

Not making it any easier for the club to tie these players down with comments like that.

Just the reality though I suppose.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Great news but that can't be geniune. not only is it inconceivable that the Argus missed a scoop like this, the alleged Gus quotes sound phoney as he makes no "ees complicated" reference!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not making it any easier for the club to tie these players down with comments like that.

Just the reality though I suppose.

:laugh:

That's just Gus "Radio" Poyet for you though. He could have done with stopping a sentence earlier, but he just keeps talking .....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Great news but that can't be geniune. not only is it inconceivable that the Argus missed a scoop like this, the alleged Gus quotes sound phoney as he makes no "ees complicated" reference!

No I added the ees complicated bit. The rest is verbatim from the BBC website!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thats what I mean! No geniune Gus interview is complete without "ees complicated". it's the badge of authenticity.

There has to be T-shirt potential there somewhere. 'Life - ees complicated', or 'Football - ees complicated'. I'd buy one.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Those three would be stupid to sign new deals now, they may as well wait until the Summer when all the bargaining power is with them. Gus is right and is only telling the truth of which I am sure the players and there agents are more than aware.

I expect the only reason why Abd signed up straight away is because he loves the club and is Brighton through and through.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
:laugh:

That's just Gus "Radio" Poyet for you though. He could have done with stopping a sentence earlier, but he just keeps talking .....

Yep.
Murray has the contract in front of him, pen in hand, then Gus pipes up:

"I wouldn't sign that if I were you......"

simply the best

Feb 23, 2011
all are key players but i really want us to get liam on a long term he has the potential to be special

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
And yet some people on here would have us believe that these players are disgruntled because Adam El Abd has already agreed a deal and they have not even been spoken to! No contracts until June my arse.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
At least we know they won't be given debt inducing contracts. I would imagine that there may be two year deals on the table possibly with performance related add ons. Bridcutt may be the exception as there could be value down the line if he becomes a star performer in the Championship and like Elliott could easily be valued around the £3-5 million bracket as decent Championship performers.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Bad journalism in my opinion, at no point in the interview does Gus say that they are any closer to deals as he has said before. The title is a bit misleading.

Out of the three, I honestly think Bridcutt is the most important one. I'm not overly convinced Dicker will be particularly amazing in the Championship, even in this league, sometimes he plays brilliantly, then other games he goes missing. Murray is obviously a great player, but if he does leave i don't think it will be the end of the world, with our situation next year I think we should be able to find some quality players. But I do think Bridcutt has been central to Gus's style of football this year, his touch is sublime and when he plays well (which he almost always does) he runs the midfield completely.

I have every confidence that Gus will sort out contracts though, and if the players turn them down, we should be in a good position to sign decent replacements

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Out of all the remaining out of contract players these are the three that we need to sign up. If its true its good we are offering contracts now rather than wait until the end of the seaso. Lets face it, if we get promoted to The Championship we will need to replace our current team with 5 - 6 Championsip quality first team regulars, starting with the goalkeeper, most of the defence and a top quality striker. If we get promoted, next season we need to be pushing for promotion to The Premiership. Whats the point of just accepting consolidation or avoiding relagation in The Championship?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here