Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Friends (and maybe family!) - do you ‘bin anyone off?’

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Let’s face it, life is constantly moving. Former friends are no longer, you discover work mates were actually just that, kids get in the way (and sometimes wives!), people split up and you’re forced to take sides, others move to different continents and are never coming back, whilst some are so persistently flakey you feel they’re simply not worth the effort any longer etc. Always amused me my parents generation used to exchange Christmas cards for decades and had never spoken to said person even by phone in all that time. I don’t see the point myself, I simply accept lots of people come into your life whilst others go. Sometimes with my blessing LOL, and I’m sure that’s reciprocated! Blokes can be especially bad at keeping in touch, women are way better I concede.

Anyone else think ‘time to bin that person off’ if not seen or spoken to in an age (which is of course, subjective) i.e. sort of a new years contact book cull? Time is precious after all. And it’s quality not quantity! :lolol: :eek::ohmy::kiss:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No Christmas card for two or three years, and I just assume they can't be arsed any more ...........................

.............or dead.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I literally have a handfull of people in my social circle. I have "binned off" 2 best friends over the years, for taking the p1ss financially, which as lead me to never lend people money again, apart from family members I know I can trust.

I have no problems cutting wasters out or my life.

Oh.... and I hate the people who bring drama to their door and complain about said drama.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I’m the worst at staying in touch once circumstances mean that I’m no longer naturally in regular contact with people.

There are a great many people I miss from former lives that I know I’ll never call or see again, simply because the pleasure was in naturally spending time in their company. Trying to artificially maintain the relationship by phone or FaceTime would just feel like trying to resuscitate a corpse.

I don’t know if this is a bloke thing, my partner seems to effortlessly maintain contact with a network of friends going back to kindergarten times, but to me the pleasure of friendships are in shared experiences. As soon as the realistic prospect of new shared experiences are no longer likely or feasible, my mind rebels at trying to keep such friendships (however valued) on life support.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I literally have a handfull of people in my social circle. I have "binned off" 2 best friends over the years, for taking the p1ss financially, which as lead me to never lend people money again, apart from family members I know I can trust.

I have no problems cutting wasters out or my life.

Oh.... and I hate the people who bring drama to their door and complain about said drama.
Concur with this. After some life changing events I decided this was the way forward. Wasted/wasting far too much time on what I categorised ‘takers’ just because known for a long time often as not. What’s really nice is the ‘room’ it frees up allows you to see some proper gems you’d maybe not realised before, or a far better quality of ‘newer friend’ into your life. I guess we all change, nothing wrong with changing therefore!

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Depressing thread.

It's quite obvious that the way things are in the world at the moment, people are drifting further apart from one another.

This post-pandemic, cost-of-living crises, war torn world that we live in... alongside the superficial, social media driven pantomime lunacy of the modern age.... community is dead and buried.

Nobody even likes each other anymore. Everyone is out for number one. Love thy neighbour? f*** thy neighbour more like.

It really seems as if we are living in some kind of dystopia, that they probably did predict somewhere in the 90s.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Depressing thread.

It's quite obvious that the way things are in the world at the moment, people are drifting further apart from one another.

This post-pandemic, cost-of-living crises, war torn world that we live in... alongside the superficial, social media driven pantomime lunacy of the modern age.... community is dead and buried.

Nobody even likes each other anymore. Everyone is out for number one. Love thy neighbour? f*** thy neighbour more like.

It really seems as if we are living in some kind of dystopia, that they probably did predict somewhere in the 90s.
Blimey!! Bit extreme isn’t it? You ok? Not saying some isn’t true, but maybe a different thread.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If you've been in HMForces, you meet loads of people that you connect to, majority of them say keep in touch, but that never happens, apart from the odd one, like I have.
It's probably the same in civvy street, school and uni.
If people don't respond to texts from me after a long period, then they're off my contacts.
It's life I guess

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As I'm getting older I realise I dislike people in general more each day.
My most favourite thing to do is get home, put my feet up and stare at the ceiling for a few hours.
I suppose it depends on who’s home you are working in and how stressful the job is.
Most days i work for really nice people, this can make a massive difference to how the day goes.
I have binned off some dodgy customers that give me stress.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you've been in HMForces, you meet loads of people that you connect to, majority of them say keep in touch, but that never happens, apart from the odd one, like I have.
It's probably the same in civvy street, school and uni.
If people don't respond to texts from me after a long period, then they're off my contacts.
It's life I guess
Yep, remember leaving University and College and within a year you realise that really loads of friendships based on….double geography or something similar! :down:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Depressing thread.

We aren’t that close thank goodness…he’s not my type

rool

Jul 10, 2003
People from school, jobs, friends and family. I've binned the lot off over the years. Somehow I find it easy just to turn off from people.
I can't say I have a single friend in the world which is quite sad if I think about it and possibly the root of my mental health issues.
My parents were the only ones I kept in touch with and I even lost a few years with my adult sons when going through my divorce.
I'm a bit of a loner and spent a lot of time home alone as a kid because my parents were always working.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Anytime a friend of mine says anything racist, or acts racist in anyway, they are no longer a friend of mine. May be extreme to some, but that's just the way it is and I have lost a lot of friends over the years that way tbh, but that's just how I feel.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Depressing thread.

Didn’t you bin all of us off a while back and then return with a cunningly different username ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Depressing thread.

Seems to me there is quite a lot of “love thy neighbour” going on at the moment, what with food banks operating at record levels, and being supported to - and so on and so forth…..

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Anytime a friend of mine says anything racist, or acts racist in anyway, they are no longer a friend of mine. May be extreme to some, but that's just the way it is and I have lost a lot of friends over the years that way tbh, but that's just how I feel.
Avoid the three Rs, Popeye - racists, Republicans and rednecks (often one and the same)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here