Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Friendly v QPR

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Greetings

I have a vague recollection of watching Brighton play QPR in a pre-season friendly around 1976 at the Goldstone. Possibly finished 1-1

Does anyone remember this? QPR were huge back then and it's one of the few clubs i've never seen (or have I?)

Ta muchly

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Greetings

I have a vague recollection of watching Brighton play QPR in a pre-season friendly around 1976 at the Goldstone. Possibly finished 1-1

Does anyone remember this? QPR were huge back then and it's one of the few clubs i've never seen (or have I?)

Ta muchly
Yes, though I think Brighton won fairly comfortably. 😉
Might have been pre-season of 77.

QPR had some great players then Parkes, Clements, Francis, Thomas, Bowles, Parkes.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I was thinking about this the other day. I think it was ‘78, just before the promotion season. Albion won 2-1, and it was the only time I ever stood on South Stand terrace. I remember the “Stanley Bowles is a wanker” chants.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
First game I went to without a ‘grown up’ me and a mate made our debut in the South Stand.
It was the 12 Aug 78 a week before our opener away at Wrexham.
Don’t remember the players but we won 2-1 and QPR wore a half red half black kit (Blackburn style)
The attendance of about 12,000 was half of our average at the time.
The programme was 5p

Funny the things you do remember.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There was also a friendly at The Goldstone v QPR 3/3/75, won 2-1. Testimonial for groundsman Frankie Howard

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
First game I went to without a ‘grown up’ me and a mate made our debut in the South Stand.
Don’t remember the players but we won 2-1 and QPR wore a half red half black kit (Blackburn style)
The programme was 5p

Andy Rollings and Teddy Maybank scored.
Just looked it up in one of my books.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The programme was 5p

Burgers ?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Albion v QPR 1.jpg
Albion v QPR 2.jpg
Albion v QPR 3.jpg
Albion v QPR 4.jpg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've seen Rodney Marsh play at the Goldstone, but always thought it was this game. It was in a friendly I'm sure because he laid on all the skills he had and showed off to the crowd. So if it wasn't this game, when was it?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I've seen Rodney Marsh play at the Goldstone, but always thought it was this game. It was in a friendly I'm sure because he laid on all the skills he had and showed off to the crowd. So if it wasn't this game, when was it?
Might have been the earlier friendly mentioned for Frankie Howard.

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
I think this was the Christmas 1966 League game at the Goldstone, when John Templeman was brought into the side to make his debut, specifically to mark Rodney Marsh. We had lost 0-3 at Loftus Road on Boxing Day, but drew 2-2 the following day at the Goldstone.

Don't know what RDZ would think about playing 2 games in 2 days...., and playing 3 games in 4 days was the norm over Easter at that time....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here