Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friendly, happy and as British as Finchley.

Dandyman

In London village.
Murder someone and then tell people you'll kill them if they attend the funeral...

PUP head pleas over loyalist murder - UK & Ireland, Breaking News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Wednesday, 2 June 2010

Bobby Moffett was shot dead on Belfast's Shankill Road

The eader of the Progressive Unionist Party (PUP), which is linked to the loyalist paramilitary UVF, has appealed for an end to intimidation surrounding the murder of Bobby Moffett.

Dawn Purvis spoke out after reports that threats had been issued, warning loyalists to avoid the funeral of the man shot dead on Belfast's Shankill Road.

Ms Purvis condemned the killing, which has been blamed on elements of the UVF, and said her party backs those who would wish to support the victim's family by attending his funeral.

Mr Moffett, 43, shot dead at point-blank range on Friday afternoon in front of stunned shoppers, was a former loyalist prisoner but police have refused to say who they believe was responsible for his death.

Ms Purvis said: "The PUP strongly supports the rights of all individuals who would like to express their grief over the killing of Bobby Moffett and support for the Moffett family to freely attend all funeral and memorial services without fear.

"The PUP unreservedly condemns the murder of Bobby Moffett and shares the outrage of Shankill residents over the manner in which this attack took place.

"People who would like to register a protest over the killing should be able to do so peacefully and lawfully."

Susan Moffett, Mr Moffett's mother, has branded the gunmen cowardly scum but called for no retaliation.

There was widespread condemnation of the shooting in the Assembly and there were calls for the Justice Minister David Ford to examine the UVF ceasefire.

In response to the calls, a Department of Justice spokesman said: "This matter is currently under investigation by police and it would therefore be inappropriate to comment any further at this time."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whats your point ? there are gun murders and intimidation all over the UK.
I thought this when I saw the story. The only difference is that while there will be organised crime in hotspots across the country, it's sad to see that the legacy of sectarianism is that these criminals (on both sides) have been able to justify their actions in the name of freedom fighting.

Maybe this is just the fallout from old barriers coming down. You have to hope so.

Dandyman

In London village.
Whats your point ? there are gun murders and intimidation all over the UK.

Indeed there are. The difference in this case is the evident criminality of the Loyalist paramilitiaries of the UVF - an organisation that claims to be a defensive one (although in fact they carried out the first murder of The Troubles).

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Indeed there are. The difference in this case is the evident criminality of the Loyalist paramilitiaries of the UVF - an organisation that claims to be a defensive one (although in fact they carried out the first murder of The Troubles).
They are ALL involved in drug dealing and criminality, both loyalist and your beloved republicans, to think otherwise makes you naive, stupid or both.

Dandyman

In London village.
They are ALL involved in drug dealing and criminality, both loyalist and your beloved republicans, to think otherwise makes you naive, stupid or both.

Republicans murdered the uncle of one of my god-children. They may be beloved by some, but I'm not among them.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire

There are war criminals in the Labour party and they get away with it

Dandyman

In London village.

Dandyman

In London village.
There are war criminals in the Labour party and they get away with it

When a million or more of us marched against that war, I seem to remember the right calling us friends of terrorists.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

I'm pretty sure if we dug up some of the old Northern Ireland/Old Firm threads you'd find that, whilst being "non-aligned", as it were, Dandyman comes from a background leaning towards Unionism. So thats a strange post...

Edit, meant to be this quote:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'm pretty sure if we dug up some of the old Northern Ireland/Old Firm threads you'd find that, whilst being "non-aligned", as it were, Dandyman comes from a background leaning towards Unionism. So thats a strange post...

Edit, meant to be this quote:
For someone who is always keen to point out that Northern Ireland is a British problem and nothing to do with the south you seem to pop up on these threads with surprising regularity.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
its gangstertism wrapped up in a flag so what. Hardly making me rethink my views on republicanism and the future constitutional make up of the uk.

Whitehaven is covered in st georges crosses it appears,latest events do not make me realise I have nailed my colours to the wrong mast by thinking of cumbrians as my countrymen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here