Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fresh Rail Strike ballot

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
RMT members vote by massive majorities for action over jobs and safety on Southern rail
RAIL UNION RMT said today that conductors on Southern services ,operated by Govia Thameslink Railway, have voted by massive majorities for action. The ballot, for both strike action and action short of a strike, is over the wholesale introduction of Driver Only Operation (DOO) that threatens jobs, conditions and public safety.
With 393 ballot papers sent out the vote recorded;
Strike Action. Cast 321 Yes 306 No 14 Spoilt 1.
Industrial Action Short of Strike. Cast 321 Yes 320 No 1 Spoilt 0.
The massive mandate for action will now be considered by RMT's executive.
The unions core demands are:
• No extension of DOO
• No Introduction of the new role of On-Board Supervisor
• No Conductor Redundancies.
The detail behind these issues is summarised as follows:
No Extension of DOO
This is a long standing policy of the RMT. The union believes that it is safer to have a conductor on the train and that those staff should retain their safety-critical role. The company intend to extend DOO from July 2016 across most of the Southern Network.
No Introduction of the new role of On-Board Supervisor
Southern intends to create new on-board train roles. Many staff have years of experience of both safety critical work and dealing with the public and these responsibilities are being diluted. RMT says it is shameful to treat loyal and experienced staff this way. RMT is insisting that the current role of the Conductor be maintained. The proposed On-Board Supervisors will have no safety critical responsibilities or door control.
No Conductor Redundancies
The introduction of the new grade will, in effect, mean that approximately 300 conductors will be forced into the new role of On-Board Supervisor or made redundant. RMT is appalled at the attempt to bulldoze staff into this new grade is, in effect, making the current role redundant.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:
“RMT, supported by our ASLEF colleagues, is wholly opposed to the attack on the safety-critical conductor grades and the threat of Driver Only Operation. Our members on Southern GTR have given loyal and professional service to the company and are being rewarded by being forced into a new grade, having their role and responsibility reduced and their hard earned terms and conditions attacked.
"The anger at the threat to RMT members jobs, their role and the safety of Southern services is reflected in this massive vote for action which will now be considered by our executive.
“This company has already axed catering services, threatened ticket offices and delivered appalling levels of customer service in their drive to milk these routes for every penny they can regardless of the impact on safety, reliability and quality. It is no wonder they are the most hated rail franchise in Britain and the threat to the conductors is just another twist of the knife. These trains are desperately over-crowded and the conductors are the eyes and ears preventing a major tragedy on the platforms and carriages.
“RMT's demands could not be clearer and the union remains available for meaningful talks. "

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i find myself in support of that because its pretty reasonable - there's no good reason to make "on board supervisors" and remove guards, when the latter already do the former role. however... i do wish the RMT would reign in the rhetoric, that last paragraph is OTT.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Fill the IDIOTIC publics head with bullshit the way they tried to do with Doctors etc so the public don't support them

I'm not sure that calling your customers idiots is guaranteed to win their support. Mind you, it worked well for Gerald Ratner. Oh.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Haven't read entire thread but whilst the service at the "Ticket Office" is good when you get to a window, the staff waste way too much time giving out travel advice to passengers who aren't even travelling for weeks ahead. That's just plain daft. A "Ticket Office" is where you go to buy a ticket, not stand in a queue behind some numpty wanting to hear about every possible option to travel to Manchester in 3 weeks time. The staff should be telling them to sod off and either call National Railways or....and this is being radical I know....look it up online.

So no, I don't think the staff at the Ticket Office are doing a great job as they are oblivious to the long queue of people who actually want to buy a ticket to catch a train in the next 10 minutes.

Staff run and hide away on replacement bus service days. They abandon the stations after evening matches so there is nobody available to help wheelchair users and you would have to go a long way to match the sheer incompetence of staff at Brighton station on matchdays.

No sympathy whatsoever. And before anybody starts on that I'm right wing and anti-unions, I think the junior doctors should get whatever they want!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Haven't read entire thread but whilst the service at the "Ticket Office" is good when you get to a window, the staff waste way too much time giving out travel advice to passengers who aren't even travelling for weeks ahead. That's just plain daft. A "Ticket Office" is where you go to buy a ticket, not stand in a queue behind some numpty wanting to hear about every possible option to travel to Manchester in 3 weeks time. The staff should be telling them to sod off and either call National Railways or....and this is being radical I know....look it up online.

So no, I don't think the staff at the Ticket Office are doing a great job as they are oblivious to the long queue of people who actually want to buy a ticket to catch a train in the next 10 minutes.

Staff run and hide away on replacement bus service days. They abandon the stations after evening matches so there is nobody available to help wheelchair users and you would have to go a long way to match the sheer incompetence of staff at Brighton station on matchdays.

No sympathy whatsoever. And before anybody starts on that I'm right wing and anti-unions, I think the junior doctors should get whatever they want!

They shut the Travel Centre at Brighton that used to do all the advance bookings etc to cut costs

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
They shut the Travel Centre at Brighton that used to do all the advance bookings etc to cut costs

Exactly this. People go to the ticket windows as every TOC who manage stations has binned off the travel centre which served this purpose. Short sighted, cost cutting idiocy.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It is important to note that this dispute has nothing whatsoever to do with pay or anyone wanting to do less work. GTR are systematically shredding as much of the workforce as they can-catering staff, cleaners, ticket office staff, guards. This is firstly about ensuring safety on trains - is anyone here happy that the only person on a 12 coach train who can answer a query, deal with a violent, sick or abusive passengers, safely evacuate a train when needed or deal with any kind of emergency situation is the driver at the front who frankly has plenty of other safety critical duties to attend to? It is also far far safer for guards, halfway down the train, to safely dispatch a service ensuring that drunk, infirm or stupid members of the public are not stuck in the doors rather than a driver looking at some dodgy cctv screens.
GTR maintain that the new 12 Gatwick Express coach trains offer a premium service - nonsense. These trains may be new but they offer no additional luggage space, have hard back seats and, if boarding at Gatwick, every other train will be full of people from Brighton. I would venture to suggest that a premium service should at least have one member of train crew to assist passengers?
Again, no one is asking for more money or to do less work-this is about protecting public safety, offering decent customer service and protecting colleagues jobs as well as conforming to the laid down terms and conditions that have been signed up to-namely that no more than 10 coach trains should be driver only except during disruption.
I would also point out that guards on Thameslink were turned into on train hosts and now don't exist, the same happened to Gatwick Express guards so if anyone thinks removing guards safety critical responsibilities and making them "on train supervisors" won't ultimately result in their jobs going is deluded.
I know unions have a bad press but on this occasion they are standing up for some frankly shocking behaviour by GTR.
spot on.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm not sure that calling your customers idiots is guaranteed to win their support. Mind you, it worked well for Gerald Ratner. Oh.

Yes I agree but to be fair that's truly what people in so called public jobs like dickhead, think of the passengers, sure they'll spin the rhetoric with stories of concerns for safety etc but they are no better than the companies, their only agenda is working less hours for more money and vice versa for the other side, the passengers are the ones who suffer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here