Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freemasonry

Should people in authority declare that they are Freemasons?

• Yes

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 34.0%

• Total voters

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I am happy to tell anyone who is interested that I am a Mason, just as I was happy to tell anyone that I was a Scout leader for several years whilst my son was a member of the scouts. The core aim of both organisations is to promote respect and a moral basis for life in general. Masons also raise huge amounts of money for non-masonic charities. Yes we do enjoy dining together and sinking a glass or two, or perhaps three.

Inevitably, if I need some electrics sorted at home, I will ask someone appropriate that I know from either organisation. No doubt that is true of football supporters and members of the darts club.

You are fully entitled to get your electrics sorted by anyone you please as that is your own personal choice.

However if you are involved in government business on a local or national level it wouldn't be that unbelievable that it could be used to manipulate an advantage over others who are not in the club.

There would be no need to declare ones status unless they were in a position of public authority, but if they are it would be good to know their status.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
You are fully entitled to get your electrics sorted by anyone you please as that is your own personal choice.

However if you are involved in government business on a local or national level it wouldn't be that unbelievable that it could be used to manipulate an advantage over others who are not in the club.
There would be no need to declare ones status unless they were in a position of public authority, but if they are it would be good to know their status.

OK, but why just Masons which is NOT A SECRET SOCIETY, why not the golf club or sailing club or Rotary Club. Everyone or no-one I suggest

When I worked for East Sussex County Council, I remember my immediate boss in the County Engineer's Department telling me that he was the first person ever to be appointed to the Departmental Management Team who hadn't been an active Freemason.

Thankfully things have changed.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
They're not a secret society - just a society with secrets. So I was once told by a mason.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, maybe I'm wrong about the Freemasons, I'd be happy to join, how do I apply ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Well, maybe I'm wrong about the Freemasons, I'd be happy to join, how do I apply ?

I feel life has passed me by now I'm the wrong side of 50 and I've never been asked to do jury service or join the freemasons despite my squeaky clean record.

How does one go about joining?

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
And also:

Former Home Secretary Jack Straw tried to address the issue of Freemasons working in the criminal justice system. In 1999, new judges were required to publicly disclose whether they were Masons.

But after a ruling from the European Court of Human Rights, the requirement was dropped in 2009. Police officers have a voluntary requirement to disclose - but only to their superiors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17272611

Police have senior officers not superiors!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I am happy to tell anyone who is interested that I am a Mason, just as I was happy to tell anyone that I was a Scout leader for several years whilst my son was a member of the scouts. The core aim of both organisations is to promote respect and a moral basis for life in general. Masons also raise huge amounts of money for non-masonic charities. Yes we do enjoy dining together and sinking a glass or two, or perhaps three.

Inevitably, if I need some electrics sorted at home, I will ask someone appropriate that I know from either organisation. No doubt that is true of football supporters and members of the darts club.
I'm a bit suspicious of a need to obtain morality from others. The same argument is often used for Christianity.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Ive voted yes, but only because i think people should be open about all groups they belong to. I used to be more anti masonic, but reading up on other subjects (eg the spanish civil war) I have come to realise how much anti-freemasonry is often tied into antisemitism. That and i just don't think they are as pervasive as they used to be.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I feel life has passed me by now I'm the wrong side of 50 and I've never been asked to do jury service or join the freemasons despite my squeaky clean record.

How does one go about joining?

Well for such an "open " society I'm surprised I have not had an explanation of how to join posted on here or at least a PM or two if it's a little personal for any Masons on here. I'm all for charity and raising money for good causes, come and get me !

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Well for such an "open " society I'm surprised I have not had an explanation of how to join posted on here or at least a PM or two if it's a little personal for any Masons on here. I'm all for charity and raising money for good causes, come and get me !

Try the Sussex Provincial website at http://www.sussexmasons.org.uk/about-freemasonry.html. Express your interest and they will find you a suitable lodge.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Sounds good. If I want some masonry work done, will they do it for free??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here