Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free TV licences for over 75s

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
On the (BBC) news last night they were saying that the BBC will 'take ownership' of the free licenses for over 75s at a certain point (2019?). Then they can alter the policy however they see fit, including means testing it or removing it altogether. So the Government is washing their hands of it and will then be able to blame the BBC when they want to means-test it due to it becoming ever-more expensive (as it will).

I'm quite surprised there's not been a bigger fuss about this - even if it is revenue-neutral for the BBC, it's yet another example of the government refusing to introduce austerity on pensioners (maintaining the free licenses) while making the younger population pay (through legislation allowing the BBC to charge for iPlayer).

The Tories need the OAP vote plus shifting blame onto the BBC is all part of the agenda to punish the BBC for being too left wing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I believe it was a mistake to make the TV licence free for some pensioners in the first place. It never used to be free, and I think those with a lifetime of work and mortgage paid off behind them should be better able to pay £150 per year than, say, graduates with a mountain of student loan plus rent to pay.

However, I also believe that the BBC is a brilliant service and enjoys a unique place in the hearts of Britons. I wonder what the outcome would be if the over 75s were given the option of paying what they thought the licence was worth, i.e. full price, half-price or £NIL? I suspect many would be prepared to pay the same as what the under-75s are paying and the BBC would probably get 50% of the licence fee cost paid on a voluntary basis.

It's an unusual concept commercially, but when you consider that many retirees give generously to charities it may well be viable.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I believe it was a mistake to make the TV licence free for some pensioners in the first place. It never used to be free, and I think those with a lifetime of work and mortgage paid off behind them should be better able to pay £150 per year than, say, graduates with a mountain of student loan plus rent to pay.

However, I also believe that the BBC is a brilliant service and enjoys a unique place in the hearts of Britons. I wonder what the outcome would be if the over 75s were given the option of paying what they thought the licence was worth, i.e. full price, half-price or £NIL? I suspect many would be prepared to pay the same as what the under-75s are paying and the BBC would probably get 50% of the licence fee cost paid on a voluntary basis.

It's an unusual concept commercially, but when you consider that many retirees give generously to charities it may well be viable.

Labour introduced it in the first place as a bribe to stop the OAPs from voting Tory.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course, the Tories will pander to pensioners because that is the age group that elected them.
Oi! Ageism alert - there's thousands of us pensioners who don't vote tory, and who never have voted tory, thank you very much.

Back to topic, I was surprised to learn from the OP that the government pays the licence fee for the over 75s to the BBC - I always just assumed it was 'free' - i.e, it just didn't get paid. I was always a bit dubious about it, because families (sorry, we have to call them hard working families now, don't we?) could get their licence free just because they kept granny, or old auntie Lil, locked in the basement. That didn't seem fair.
Mind you, the alternatives (limiting it to households where everyone was over 75, or means testing) would be likely to cost more in administration than they saved in paying the licence fee to the BBC - in other words, a 'saving' that cost more money than it saved. I think it should be scrapped - after all, how much is it? £3.00 a week? The price of a pint........... That's not a lot to ask even a poor old OAP to pay, is it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Or put it another way the Tories won't get rid of it as a bribe to stop voters voting Labour

Or put it another way, anyone who thinks the equivalent of £3.00 a week would be an effective bribe to persuade tory voters to switch to labour, or vice versa, is barking mad!

synavm

May 2, 2013

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Or put it another way, anyone who thinks the equivalent of £3.00 a week would be an effective bribe to persuade tory voters to switch to labour, or vice versa, is barking mad!

For some pensioners though that means an extra hot meal a week instead of a meat paste sandwich.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
On the (BBC) news last night they were saying that the BBC will 'take ownership' of the free licenses for over 75s at a certain point (2019?). Then they can alter the policy however they see fit, including means testing it or removing it altogether. So the Government is washing their hands of it and will then be able to blame the BBC when they want to means-test it due to it becoming ever-more expensive (as it will).

I'm quite surprised there's not been a bigger fuss about this - even if it is revenue-neutral for the BBC, it's yet another example of the government refusing to introduce austerity on pensioners (maintaining the free licenses) while making the younger population pay (through legislation allowing the BBC to charge for iPlayer).

Very interesting comment,and i can see exactly where you are coming from.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Agree, most pensioners can afford the licence. The Beeb is probably one of the few world class things Britain has left
Apparently the over 65's own 80% of all house equity in this country....astonishing.
The wealthy pensioners should pay its that simple :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Apparently the over 65's own 80% of all house equity in this country....astonishing.
The wealthy pensioners should pay its that simple :)

Not sure why that is astonishing! They've paid off their mortgage so therefore have more equity in the bricks and mortar. How many people pay of their mortgage much earlier (although, fortunately, ours should be done and dusted in 18 months at the ripe old age of 54 so I'm doing my best to bring down that percentage).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If they want to make sure everyone who watches the BBC pays then make it a subscription service only. Zero chance of this happening though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For some pensioners though that means an extra hot meal a week instead of a meat paste sandwich.
OK, the price of a pint, or the price of one hot meal per week. Sounds like a fair price to pay for all the benefits a tele brings to an OAP. A meat paste sandwich (why meat? What's wrong with fish paste?) once a week isn't the end of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here