Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Free Solo on TV this week

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The Oscar winning documentary that received rave reviews is airing on the National Geographic channel several times this week (starting 2am tonight, then 8pm tomorrow, then throughout the week). It follows the attempts of climber Alex Honnold to scale Yosemite's El Capitan without ropes or safety gear.

I always try to get through the Doc and Animated nomination lists of the Oscars, and to get the heads up for this one to start with was a real treat.

Not knowing anything, not having ever heard anything about this chap, definitely heightened the sense of ridiculously bonkers peril for me but I noticed that every emotion I felt (and I reckon I went through pretty much every one possible) was reflected on-screen: climber says he's scared, I was already feeling scared; girl is excited to see a fridge, I was already chuffed to bits for her; man turns away from his camera in fear, I realised I had my hand clamped over my mouth, peeking over my fingers at the screen.

As a committed credits watcher though, the end music was very disappointing (Apple-inspired noodley 'uplifting' gumph when it really needed release, something to rock :smile: out to given what I'd just experienced).

But bloody hell, what a superb film.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched this today. Through my fingers.

I was literally clenching my arse so tight I could've cut diamonds from coal up there. Absolutely RIDICULOUS. I simply do not have the cognitive processes to understand how a man can deliberately choose to stare death in the face. Plenty of people get a buzz from risk, from pushing boundaries, challenging themselves and (to an extent) putting their life on the line. But this was simply on another level entirely, I've never seen anything like it.

I was almost turning away at some points, it was unbearable. But bloody hell, WHAT a film.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They were just putting your blue plaque up last time I was there :)

I liked it there, lovely woods and a reservoir to swim in after climbing. Lovely days in the mid 90’s,driving there in my mate’s Morris Minor with beers and food.

It was on a swim there I first found out my mate Paddy wore his mother’s Sloggi knickers for comfort when climbing. Funny chap. Great bloke. He moved to Bristol for the climbing and rave scene and we lost touch.

There's no reservoir at Harrisons Rocks. I think you're thinking of Stone Farm, which is just outside East Grinstead (Ardingly Reservoir). Harrisons is over by Eridge / Groombridge.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's no reservoir at Harrisons Rocks. I think you're thinking of Stone Farm, which is just outside East Grinstead (Ardingly Reservoir). Harrisons is over by Eridge / Groombridge.

You’re correct. Shows how long it’s been since I was there :-(

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I watched this today. Through my fingers.

I was literally clenching my arse so tight I could've cut diamonds from coal up there. Absolutely RIDICULOUS. I simply do not have the cognitive processes to understand how a man can deliberately choose to stare death in the face. Plenty of people get a buzz from risk, from pushing boundaries, challenging themselves and (to an extent) putting their life on the line. But this was simply on another level entirely, I've never seen anything like it.

I was almost turning away at some points, it was unbearable. But bloody hell, WHAT a film.

Wholeheartedly agree. Spectacular and terrifying. Even the blokes filming the ascent could NOT watch.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
An astonishing film which, like Jaws isn’t really a film about a shark, isn’t really about an obsessed man’s attempt to do something totally ludicrous. Instead, it’s a portrait of what makes two people tick:

he, a man who has both skill and a medical condition, being totally unwilling (unable?) to alter his behaviour to accommodate anyone else’s input.

And she, a woman who had not understood that he will never stop. After he’d done it and they reunited you heard her say something like “you’ve done it now; that’s done now”. He’ll just find something else to challenge himself.

The week after the climb (the week after) he went to Alaska to train for a trip to Antarctica.

It’s very hard to not conclude that the man has a death wish, despite his protestations to the contrary.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Added to Netflix today is the similar themed documentary 'The Dawn Wall'. This time follows a pair of climbers attempting to climb without safety ropes etc.

https://uk.newonnetflix.info/info/81004270/s
"WITH" safety ropes etc. The Dawn Wall is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Although it's free climbing (i.e. the ropes etc are there for protection not to be used to aid climbing) it's definitely not free soloing.

This project is about the hardest free big wall climb ever attempted. Risk of death WAY less. Difficulty WAY harder. About pushing the limits of what's possible physically.

The hardest pitches of the Dawn Wall are around seven to eight grades harder than anything on Freerider. Nobody is going to be soloing that any time soon. If ever!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
An astonishing film which, like Jaws isn’t really a film about a shark, isn’t really about an obsessed man’s attempt to do something totally ludicrous. Instead, it’s a portrait of what makes two people tick:

he, a man who has both skill and a medical condition, being totally unwilling (unable?) to alter his behaviour to accommodate anyone else’s input.

And she, a woman who had not understood that he will never stop. After he’d done it and they reunited you heard her say something like “you’ve done it now; that’s done now”. He’ll just find something else to challenge himself.

The week after the climb (the week after) he went to Alaska to train for a trip to Antarctica.

It’s very hard to not conclude that the man has a death wish, despite his protestations to the contrary.
Agree with most of that. A point though, not all Honnold's climbing projects are free solos.

So yes, while he was straight back into training, that wasn't for something as ridiculously balls out, batshit mental as soloing Freerider.

It's a tough one, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. He's a one off from what I've heard from those who've met and climbed with him, and it comes through in the film.

He seems to be both the least and most likely person to die soloing.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Agree with most of that. A point though, not all Honnold's climbing projects are free solos.

So yes, while he was straight back into training, that wasn't for something as ridiculously balls out, batshit mental as soloing Freerider.

It's a tough one, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. He's a one off from what I've heard from those who've met and climbed with him, and it comes through in the film.

He seems to be both the least and most likely person to die soloing.

Thanks for the reminder that not all he does is just plain mental. I take that point.

I can also see why you say what you do in your last sentence. My (entirely ignorant) view would be that he does totally mental stuff sufficiently often that it’s almost inevitable that he’ll make a mistake while free soloing and that’ll be that. One of his climbing mates says in the film something to the effect of “all good free soloers wind up dead eventually”...

I admire him and shake my head in bewildered disbelief in equal measure...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks for the reminder that not all he does is just plain mental. I take that point.

I can also see why you say what you do in your last sentence. My (entirely ignorant) view would be that he does totally mental stuff sufficiently often that it’s almost inevitable that he’ll make a mistake while free soloing and that’ll be that. One of his climbing mates says in the film something to the effect of “all good free soloers wind up dead eventually”...

I admire him and shake my head in bewildered disbelief in equal measure...

Yeah the interesting (if you'd call it that) thing, which was touched on in the film, is that most guys who have made a name free soloing really hard stuff and subsequently died, have actually died either climbing something relatively easy or doing something equally bonkers but less in control (Dean Potter base jumping etc).

Unfortunately I know quite a few people that have died in similar ways. Having never pushed the envelope the way AH has.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
On record tonight, so will watch at some point. I just know my palms will be sweating and I will be as nervous as hell watching.
Anyone seen The Walk, tightrope walking between the twin towers? I was curled up barely watching through my fingers.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
On record tonight, so will watch at some point. I just know my palms will be sweating and I will be as nervous as hell watching.
Anyone seen The Walk, tightrope walking between the twin towers? I was curled up barely watching through my fingers.

Seen The Walk - another stunning film - but Honnold's move on the Boulder Problem is so bat shit mental as to defy ALL reason (for mere mortals)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"WITH" safety ropes etc. The Dawn Wall is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Although it's free climbing (i.e. the ropes etc are there for protection not to be used to aid climbing) it's definitely not free soloing.

This project is about the hardest free big wall climb ever attempted. Risk of death WAY less. Difficulty WAY harder. About pushing the limits of what's possible physically.

The hardest pitches of the Dawn Wall are around seven to eight grades harder than anything on Freerider. Nobody is going to be soloing that any time soon. If ever!

My mistake. I'm not much of a climber (did a couple of adventure weekends as a kid, possibly around East Grinstead, was not great at rock climbing or abseiling, always enjoyed the canoeing more) and apparently misinterpreted 'free climbing'.

Free Solo is currently 8.4 on IMDb and The Dawn Wall is 8.2. Just settling down to watch free solo now.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Just watched it, thanks for drawing attention to it – well worth it.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My mistake. I'm not much of a climber (did a couple of adventure weekends as a kid, possibly around East Grinstead, was not great at rock climbing or abseiling, always enjoyed the canoeing more) and apparently misinterpreted 'free climbing'.

Free Solo is currently 8.4 on IMDb and The Dawn Wall is 8.2. Just settling down to watch free solo now.

It’s a mistake many make. Free climbing as opposed to aid climbing. I’ve always been a free climber and spent a couple of years doing a lot of easy soloing. My longest ground fall whilst soloing was at Bowles Rocks (Devaluation for the climbers in here) but got back on and did it a few days later.

I actually nearly lost it soloing up in Langdale on one of the easiest climbs I’d attempted, but several hundred feet above the ground if it all went wrong. That was when I decided to get the ropes out again and find a climbing partner!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It’s a mistake many make. Free climbing as opposed to aid climbing. I’ve always been a free climber and spent a couple of years doing a lot of easy soloing. My longest ground fall whilst soloing was at Bowles Rocks (Devaluation for the climbers in here) but got back on and did it a few days later.

I actually nearly lost it soloing up in Langdale on one of the easiest climbs I’d attempted, but several hundred feet above the ground if it all went wrong. That was when I decided to get the ropes out again and find a climbing partner!
Good point that mate. Most non climbers (understandably) get confused between free climbing and soloing.

Fee climbing is not using the ropes/protection (bolts, pegs etc placed in the rock to stop you from falling) to help you climb the route. You just climb the rock. It's what the majority of climbers do.

Soloing = no rope, no protection.

Of course there are loads of other options and those in between.

Like bouldering which again is just climber/shoes and chalk bag with no ropes but is "generally" safe..... However, it's the ultimate in difficulty and sometimes also quite high.

https://youtu.be/CQfPC4WZy4Q

There are maybe two or three guys in the world who could climb that and Alex isn't one of them. Different sports within a sport. Like running etc.

I know Devaluation well by the way. Used to up Sandman and down that when I was a teenager. No chance these days!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just finished it. Impressive climbing (and filming), but can't say i really took to him as a person. Certainly wouldn't be happy if someone I cared about was dating him either.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know Devaluation well by the way. Used to up Sandman and down that when I was a teenager. No chance these days!

Haha, yes indeed.

A little bit of ground erosion under it means I struggled to get off the ground last time I was there. No chance I’d try soloing it now. :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here