Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free School Meals for 5-7 years old - A brave move or just another bribe? [Merged Thread]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And when there is a debate to be had with re-instating child support or even increasing it, perhaps the extension of free school meals to the end of year 6 will be drawn into the discussion? I'd certainly rather phase out child benefit completely and replace it with comprehensive cover of free school meals for all primary school kids.

I agree, phasing out child benefit and replacing it with things like free school lunches, free school uniforms etc would stop parents who use the child benefit for holidays and so but still directly assist the poorest families.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The stigma is real enough - look at the newspapers on a daily basis reporting stories of people in hardship as 'scroungers' and 'fruadsters'.

thats from the middle classes (well the papers anyway) looking down upon those groups. the question is do those in that group acknowledge the stigma and react as suggested? if on benefits and entitled, i wouldnt think twice about signing my kids on to the free school meal. why whould/should i care what others think for the sake of my kids getting dinner? who'd even know? are you saying people arent taking other benefits entitled to due to associated stigma? thats something that might have been the case around the 1930s to 60s or so, and affect the very older generation, but not 20-40yo today.

all seems rather tenuous to base £600m expenditure. better uses for the money to target poor education outcomes.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm curious. What do you do that marks you out as somebody qualified to make this a statement of fact?

Do you ever go into a school environment, there are notice boards plastered with everyone's entitlements and how to claim, a family officer is likely to have first dibs on any office space and lead any qualifying parents through any of its processes.

Stigma and an unwillingness to claim is definately not precursor to a child not accessing their school lunch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Do you ever go into a school environment, there are notice boards plastered with everyone's entitlements and how to claim, a family officer is likely to have first dibs on any office space and lead any qualifying parents through any of its processes.

Stigma and an unwillingness to claim is definately not precursor to a child not accessing their school lunch.
Of course I do, seeing as I'm a parent of three kids. And I'd take issue with your "notice boards plastered..." statement if it was relevant in any way, which it isn't.

Clearly, you don't know any more than anybody else about how the level of stigmatisation of free school meals has changed. Predictably.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
1, You don't think any social worker's, nurses, teachers are workin class mothers?
2, why would being working class and female make you better at spotting child abuse than people with years of experience, training and qualifications?

experience and training do not make up for a natural mothers instinct these people we are talking about are looking at the situation like a social worker, teacher ect not as a mother.
question I would ask is when in a situation where you are refused entry after suspecting some neglect or abuse would you walk away looking for some other answer if that was your child in the house.
I am not personally having a go at these people, they have a very difficult job to do, but it is only them who can change the rules.
It does seem very strange that if someone who is suspected of having/ dealing in drugs can have their door smashed down but not one but several police (and in some cases nothing is found) yet someone who is suspected of neglecting or abusing a child, the authorities sit about wringing their hands and start changing the laws/rules when its to late.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Of course I do, seeing as I'm a parent of three kids. And I'd take issue with your "notice boards plastered..." statement if it was relevant in any way, which it isn't.

Clearly, you don't know any more than anybody else about how the level of stigmatisation of free school meals has changed. Predictably.

My wifes a headteacher and I have a role that that is associated to a number of schools.

The inevitable 'God help us' reply neednt follow ;)

You quite obviously have no idea of the support networks that already exist within every school, others with similar experience might not follow the same conclusions, however I fail to see why not.

Again every child has access to a school lunch irrespective of circumstance, those that pay pay, those that are deemed financially disadvantaged get it free, those that chose to supply their children with a suitable packed lunch do and those that supply their children with unsuitable packed lunches would be challenged, those that neglect they children beyond those reasonable parental demands would be passed on to the relevant department to ensure the welfare of their children is catered for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here