Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free London

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
No one has mentioned Greenwich which has some interesting buildings and exhibitions. Don't forget a walk through the foot tunnel under the Thames.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No one has mentioned Greenwich which has some interesting buildings and exhibitions. Don't forget a walk through the foot tunnel under the Thames.

Good shout. I lived there for 9 months.

The Maritime Museum usually has some decent stuff on display. The park is great and there are some decent places to eat/drink.

Don't go to the big Chinese restaurant. A seafood medley comprised of crabsticks in the shape of squid/scallops/muscles etc.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
The difference between people who live in London and people who visit London, especially at weekends, is that if you live in London you know that the worst possible place to go is Camden market, whereas visitors always want to go there. As a Camden Town resident I avoid the market like the plague. It's filthy, over-crowded, filled with scumbags, a crime hotspot and full of overpriced tat.

Apart from that, it's great. :shootself

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Not free, but cheap (£3 I think) is a trip up the monument. Great views and never any queues.

Also on Sundays Colombia Road Flower Market in Bethnal Green is well worth a visit, as is the more famous Brick Lane Market.

And if you're in to spooky overgrown Victorian Cemeteries Nunhead Cemetry in Peckham is your place, fantastic view if St Paul's Cathedral from up there too.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
National Portrait Gallery, then have a mooch round Trafalgar Square and take in the crypt at St Martin in the Fields.
Normally plenty to see in Covent Garden.
Have a look online and see which markets are on where.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The walk along Southbank, gawping at mime artists or sand artists and kicking leaves kept me from throwing myself in during my darkest hours.

And there speaketh a man who knows his London.

I love the South Bank. As a resident (for only 20 years so sorry Bushy) here are some other free things I like:

Borough Market
Battersea Park
Northcote Road - (There is more to Clapham Junction than not being in Clapham)
Clapham Old Town
The South Bank again.

TopCat

Jun 17, 2011
Not for a few month yet (September) but the Open House London program is well worth checking out - http://www.londonopenhouse.org/ . Some things you have to book in advance and you have to buy the guide to get priority access to the more popular stuff, but Lloyds and City Hall amongst others are well worth a look and you can just turn up on the day.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not quite free, but for me a fiver to stand in the pit watching a performance at The Globe on a warm Spring/Summer evening is an incredible bargain. You can even nip out in the interval for a pint/fag on the South Bank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here