Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
RIP Freddie xx

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Blimey, there's false memory syndrome about

FG wasn't sacked: he was poached by Birmingham. He didn't introduce the all-white strip - that was Pat Saward in the 1970/71 season. He wasn't in charge on Boxing Day 1967, he didn't take over until October 1968 and he didn't sign Nobby Lawton, that was Macauley

I bow to your better judgement but was convinced it was FG who bought in the white kit.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I feel you do him an injustice. he made big changes in a short time. He gained alot from his time in the USA and was very 'customer focused' and asked fans to write to him and he'd reply in the programmer.

Some of these things were quite basic, like toilet rolls & towels and a roof on the gents, like putting a hard concrete surface at the turn-styles, basic things that clubs everywhere just didn't give a hoot about supporters and things that a normal football manager wouldn't get involved with but it was his way to shake the club up.

he also introduced many forward thinking ideas to training, ideas ahead of their time and now the norm, like attention to diet & nutrition.

I don't believe he was off at the drop of a hat either. Such progress in such a short time was bound to attract attention. We were a 3rd div club, Birmingham were a 'sleeping giant' with big ambition and resources. You can't deny such chances but, if you want to look at players like Zamora, Virgo & Bennett, they all left with our good wishes and that's how it was with Goodwin, with a bit of obvious annoyance.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I am after his time with the club but looking at his Wiki page he has an impressive playing CV and colourful managerial list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Goodwin

As Birmingham manager he must have been part of playing Trevor Francis, who I remember well and the million pound move to Forrest (I think the first million pound player). Was Freddie responsible for this deal or seen as developing Francis and partly responsible for this deal for the club.

I always love sportspeople that can play dual sports at the top level, Lancashire CCC and Manchester United says it all.

Indeed: Birmingham City: I'll be forever indebted to "father-figure" Freddie Goodwin, says Blues legend

Birmingham City legend Trevor Francis has expressed his sadness at the death of ‘father figure’ Freddie Goodwin.

The former Blues boss, who gave Francis his debut at just 16-years-old, passed away on Friday in Gig Harbour, Washington. He was 82.

And Francis has recalled how Goodwin book-ended his glittering playing career by both giving him his Birmingham debut in 1970 and watching him score a hat-trick at Villa Park as Queen’s Park Ranger’s player-manager - 19 years later.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The two people I knew who met him were impressed with his intelligence and forward thinking approach. I remember that hard fought 1-1 draw at Malcolm Macdonald's Luton fondly. He was a top manager.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Blimey, there's false memory syndrome about

FG wasn't sacked: he was poached by Birmingham. He didn't introduce the all-white strip - that was Pat Saward in the 1970/71 season. He wasn't in charge on Boxing Day 1967, he didn't take over until October 1968 and he didn't sign Nobby Lawton, that was Macauley

Hoping my memory is true that he brought Sidebottom with him from the States to effectively replace Brian Powney (who was one of my favourite Albion players at the time along with Kit Napier. :thumbsup:
I was not impressed but a good manager nonetheless and not only turned our form round but did a lot to modernise the club.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
We will have a minute’s silence before the Leeds game, I suspect. That would give the Leeds fans an opportunity to pay their respects to a football man. Don’t hold your breath, though, because, one, last time they were asked to observe a minute’s silence in Brighton, they sang “we are Leeds” throughout, and, two, Freddie Goodwin played for Manchester United.

Ten home wins on the trot: http://www.statto.com/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/1969-1970/results

Alas, killed by five away defeats on the trot.

I went to the last four of those away games - the Supporters' Club coach for Halifax (looks so much better now in Happy Valley) left on the evening of the Reading home game and it poured with rain all weekend! And don't get me started on the four FAC games against Walsall in less than a fortnight - bl**dy Phil Parkes.

I feel you do him an injustice. he made big changes in a short time. He gained alot from his time in the USA and was very 'customer focused' and asked fans to write to him and he'd reply in the programmer.

Some of these things were quite basic, like toilet rolls & towels and a roof on the gents, like putting a hard concrete surface at the turn-styles, basic things that clubs everywhere just didn't give a hoot about supporters and things that a normal football manager wouldn't get involved with but it was his way to shake the club up.

he also introduced many forward thinking ideas to training, ideas ahead of their time and now the norm, like attention to diet & nutrition.

I don't believe he was off at the drop of a hat either. Such progress in such a short time was bound to attract attention. We were a 3rd div club, Birmingham were a 'sleeping giant' with big ambition and resources. You can't deny such chances but, if you want to look at players like Zamora, Virgo & Bennett, they all left with our good wishes and that's how it was with Goodwin, with a bit of obvious annoyance.

A couple of nice posts from you Ken. Thought you'd have remembered Alan Duffy though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My Dad got to know Freddie a little bit when he was at Brighton as he was living in Steyning next door to my great auntie and uncle. Anyway, he was the first person in the street to get a colour TV apparently and let my Dad and the rest of the family watch the colour TV for the first time in their lives which they've never forgotten.

A lovely man by all accounts. RIP.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We will have a minute’s silence before the Leeds game, I suspect. That would give the Leeds fans an opportunity to pay their respects to a football man. Don’t hold your breath, though, because, one, last time they were asked to observe a minute’s silence in Brighton, they sang “we are Leeds” throughout, and, two, Freddie Goodwin played for Manchester United.

Was surprised there wasn't a tribute as I believe he was a former Leeds captain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here