Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Frankenstein food on the menu

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Actually this is one of the first things that's come out of Brexit that I think is a good outcome. We're going to need GE/GM crops to keep up with climate change, decreasing biodiversity and population growth, and despite the sci-fi movies suggesting otherwise they will be perfectly safe and nutritious.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we already manipulate genes and landrace of crops though selective breeding. this is taking it to next generation, like going from typewritter to computer for writing.
there are issues around patents, but other than them lets get a move on with technology that could solve so many problems in the world, from famine, to nutrition, to climate.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If it helps the climate, then I welcome it. However I can only envision huge food corporations exploiting the tech to rear even larger herds of animals.
However, if they make square pigs and maybe floating cows, I’m in.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
If it helps the climate, then I welcome it. However I can only envision huge food corporations exploiting the tech to rear even larger herds of animals.
However, if they make square pigs and maybe floating cows, I’m in.

E56D36A0-6A70-4C40-97BF-A48D6D5A9FC6.jpeg

It’s already square.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
we already manipulate genes and landrace of crops though selective breeding. this is taking it to next generation, like going from typewritter to computer for writing.
there are issues around patents, but other than them lets get a move on with technology that could solve so many problems in the world, from famine, to nutrition, to climate.

What do these new methods involve? ie what’s the science behind it and what’s the end result? Or the desired result?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“A tomato with extra vitamin C”

Why not eat an orange instead?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Two clues it is probably not good for you;

It was banned under EU regulations
Boris Johnson reckons it’s a good idea.

Good point well made.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“A tomato with extra vitamin C”

Why not eat an orange instead?

These things are ultimately useless. Those who eat tomatoes in their diet probably get enough vitamin C. The fact they eat tomatoes indicates they probably have a good diet. Or like a BLT.

If they could make Tom’s less acidic, I’m on board with that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, apparently it will be a vegetarian menu

The monster is a vegetarian. While speaking to Frankenstein, he tells him, "My food is not that of man; I do not destroy the lamb and the kid to glut my appetite; acorns and berries afford me sufficient nourishment...The picture I present to you is peaceful and human." At the time the novel was written, many writers, including Percy Shelley in A Vindication of Natural Diet, argued that practicing vegetarianism was the morally right thing to do.

A man ahead of his time :thumbsup:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
What do these new methods involve? ie what’s the science behind it and what’s the end result? Or the desired result?
It's basically the same as selective breeding, but instead of waiting potentially many generations for DNA to randomly combine until you get the desired traits, you get them straight away by altering the DNA to produce those traits.

It would be used to make crops more weather resistant, disease resistant, increase yield, make them capable of growing in smaller spaces etc

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanaba...r-is-transforming-agricultural-biotechnology/

The key bit - and distinguishing GE from GM:

"The introduction of foreign genes into plants is one of the main controversies. However, Inari is not introducing outside genes into its crops. Instead, the company is altering genes that already exist in the plants through gene editing."

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's basically the same as selective breeding, but instead of waiting potentially many generations for DNA to randomly combine until you get the desired traits, you get them straight away by altering the DNA to produce those traits.

It would be used to make crops more weather resistant, disease resistant, increase yield, make them capable of growing in smaller spaces etc

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanaba...r-is-transforming-agricultural-biotechnology/

The key bit - and distinguishing GE from GM:

"The introduction of foreign genes into plants is one of the main controversies. However, Inari is not introducing outside genes into its crops. Instead, the company is altering genes that already exist in the plants through gene editing."

Much appreciated but I was specifically asking Beorthelm.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

science is gene splicing and end result is vaccines based on mRNA and cancer treatment. its fabulous advance for medicines, lets do similar with food to enhance their qualities.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
science is gene splicing and end result is vaccines based on mRNA and cancer treatment. its fabulous advance for medicines, lets do similar with food to enhance their qualities.

Oh. It’s just you seemed to know what you were talking about. I see now, you don’t.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Two clues it is probably not good for you;

It was banned under EU regulations
Boris Johnson reckons it’s a good idea.

This is a good illustration of how certain issues can become political when they shouldn't be. Whether GM food is safe or not should be a scientific and not political issue. A similar example is how taking action on climate change is seen as a policy of the left (especially in the USA), but it should be a scientific issue not political.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Oh. It’s just you seemed to know what you were talking about. I see now, you don’t.

thanks. i'd forgetten i'd ignored you so long. carry on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here